Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can it be done.... >

Can it be done....

Can it be done....

Old 08-09-2011, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by TanyaL
I would definitely use it as a whole cloth with borders if necessary and beautiful quilting. It could be breath-takingly
spectacular!
Dittto. I would HATE to cut it up in small pieces. The stitches would probably come out if you cut it up and it's too beautiful to cut.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:38 AM

B-U-T... remember that she said she had TWO quilts....OK, both not from her mother, but think of the memories those two would bring to the two daughters...

Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
Everyone has such nice ideas!! But the main thing she said was that she has TWO daughters, both of whom would like something from the past. I think the problem is that it must be cut apart to make two quilts, possibly with carefully matched colors to extend the original tablecloth. I'd like to see how that would be done. I think that making several pictures of it and cutting each of them apart and putting them into different patterns might show a way to make two quilts from this lovely piece of art.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:41 AM

Make a whole cloth but add a beautiful contrasting blue border and perhaps miter it. It woul be out of this world beautiful. You just inspired me to do the same with a couple of mine.
Old 08-09-2011, 06:02 AM

That looks like linen to me and probably is since it's 32 yrs old. I also would make them into whole cloth quilts adding borders if needed and do some awesome quilting on them. I'm sure your daughters would love such a gift.
Originally Posted by emsgranny
or even should it!!! I have a beautiful tablecloth that my mother embroidered for us when we got married almost 32 years ago. We have sold the china that went with it and we no longer use tablecloths. I also have a similar one given to me my my aunt as a shower gift done in verigated browns.

Do you think it can be made into a quilt top instead? Its not l00%cotton and I am not really sure what it is. I have tried to take a picture of fabric so you have an idea. Also including picture of parts of tablecloth.

I havbe 2 daughters so they would each have a quilt if it can be done (they would be more apt to use a quilt than a tablecloth)

Do you think I should try it or just keep it as is - It is very special to me but its not being used!!!! Help!!!!
Old 08-09-2011, 06:14 AM

The table cloth is beautiful and probably linen. Since it is special to you, then definitely use it. I would make a whole cloth quilt and keep it for yourself. My mom passed away recently and I found a lot of linen cross stitch items she made and never used. She was probably afraid my bothers and I would get them dirty. I have used them to make pilows, a table runner and now I'm using the rest for a lap quilt for myself. I plan on using it and it will help me remember all the wonderful things my mom created and the good times we had.
Old 08-09-2011, 06:15 AM

I think your idea would be lovely. I know everyone is saying whole cloth, but I disagree. Which daughter would get the quilt? I would sit and look at it for awhile then, look around for some fabric that would go with it, then jump in and cut it up. There is so much you could do with the floral centers and the borders. Only my opinion.
Old 08-09-2011, 06:17 AM

My grandmother did a lot of needlepoint, crochet, cross stitch, tating. She did a few table cloths like your picture. The fabric was a linen. By the way the tablecloth in your picture is beautiful
Old 08-09-2011, 06:42 AM

Check out Cindy Needham. She has a whole book on using linens as quilt blocks/tops. She honors the original piece and enhances it at the same time.
Old 08-09-2011, 06:45 AM

Yes, make a quilt from the table cloth. Cindy Needam's book is excellent. I have made one from a small tea table cloth my Grandmother embroidered. Since it was "cut-work" I used muslin under it as well as the batting and backing. Worked great. just remember that these cloths are "squarish" so work within that perimeter.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:01 AM

Whole cloth w/borders.
Very nice work.
J J