Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric cost too much >

Fabric cost too much

Fabric cost too much

Old 08-09-2011, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by kaykwilts
Originally Posted by JulieR
If they don't raise the price on what they have in stock, they won't be able to afford to replace it when it's gone.

Fabric is getting pricey but there are deals still to be had all over the place if you look. I pay top dollar for special purchases and find ways to cut costs on the rest.
YES......this is the truth about retail business, and a fact many who have never run a business before simply do not understand. While the stock on the shelves may have been purchased 6 months ago, the only way a retail business can replace what has been sold is to do an "across the board" increase on all stock, not just new inventory. When the owner goes to order new inventory, and her costs may have risen to purchase said new inventory, without the price increase on current stock, she will not be able to pay for new inventory when that bill comes due within thirty days after her receiving it. (called net thirty days....the way most business accounts are set up. And if the the bill is not paid, interest accrues and the owner cannot order more inventory until this bill is paid)

This is a frustrating situation for the consumer, no doubt, but as JulieR said, look for the specials and deals out there...there are plenty to be had. And try to understand what the business owner is having to do, usually with trembling and fear of losing customers (something she can't afford to do), when she is forced, by the costs of doing business, to raise prices on current inventory. Most business owners hate to do this, but see no other way to continue to purchase new lines of merchandise, and still pay the overhead costs of staying in business. Raising the cost of current inventory is, usually, NOT something a business owner does just to "gouge" the public, "get rich", cheat the consumers, or make sure their own personal salary (IF they can even afford to take an "owner's draw) gets a "cost of living" increase.....most of them HATE to do this......but see no other way.......

Refusing to shop at a store that has done this (and truly I am thinking of and referring to the LQS, not big chain stores), just hurts you, hurts that business, and hurts the local economy.....for our small business owners ARE the backbone of this country, and one of the key ingredients in the standard of living we have all enjoyed for most of our lives.
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 08-09-2011, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by charity-crafter
Originally Posted by Morningcoffeegal
and to add to it, my Joann's store use to let you use more than 1 coupon a day. Now they don't even let you make seperate purchases one after the other using a coupon on each. The gal told me one coupon per patron a day! Whats the difference if I got ten ppl to buy things using coupons or I stood through 10 transactions? Go figure!
Wow, when did they change that? Or is it regional policy? I recently used 2 coupons-a 40% off for some cut fabric and another 20% off total purchase. I was a smidgen perturbed that the 20% off didn't cover the piece of fabric because I had already used a coupon on that fabric- :shock: oh, is that what they mean?
Joann's has not allowed any other discounts be applied to a coupon item. Depending on the % off total sale discount (if a discount card or a coupon, etc.), they may allow it on all, some, or none special priced items (sale, clearance, etc.). These two kinds of coupons can normally be used together because the programming automatically applies them correctly. However, the programming will not allow you to use two 40% off coupons in the same transaction, as the fine prints normally states a limit of one coupon.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok

yep even here on QB...just a few months ago you could find good buys at around $3-$4 yd. now it is $6 for mostly the older walmart fabrics that were never more than $3yd brand new!
Yep. Either 3.44 or 4.44 stuff is selling on QB often for $5-6/yard. I am amazed when I go over and look.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:22 AM
Power Poster

And some people are selling some things they paid $8.00 to $10.00 per yard for at $6.00 a yard.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE
Ladies ... enjoy and appreciate your "high" prices for they really are low in perspective to what many of us have at our availablility.

So yes, just call me (and others) green with envy at such terribly high prices, as you say!!!!!!!!!! :lol:
As a fellow Canadian, I second your comments! Thankfully a LQS just had a sale so I stocked up on fabrics - 19 meters of fabric for backings (5 of minkee and 14 of cotton) for about $250. And this was sale price at 40% off and I was VERY happy.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:41 AM

Truthfully, the best way for a business to STAY in business, even during the rough times (and I'm not saying it's foolproof by any means) is to diversify and to set yourself apart in some way other than price.

A place that only sells quilting notions, supplies and fabrics in a brick and mortar shop will feel the brunt much worse than a place that sells all of those and offers classes, or also sells online, or also sell and repair sewing machines, or also sell other crafting supplies, or also does long-arm quilting, etc.

Having something else to fall back on apart from just the one thing can mean the extra revenue is enough to offset higher prices somewhat, and it can mean the difference between keeping your doors open and closing them forever.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:01 AM

Everything is costing more. I live in south FL. My LQS has awesome batiks for $2 a Yd less than JA's. My point is shop around. Sometimes what looks like a bargain isn't.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
And some people are selling some things they paid $8.00 to $10.00 per yard for at $6.00 a yard.
I believe that is what the rules are. I think it is is supposed to be no more than 60% of retail.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Nolee
Unfortunately, online purchases can be so much less expensive. I went online yesterday and got Benartex for $2.50 a yard. It may not be my FIRST choice for color or pattern, but I sure can use it in my charity quilts. If I were you, I'd sign up for the recommendations in the "Links and Resources" section of this newsletter. That's where I got the link yesterday...."Cotton" something was the title.
Was it www.cottonpatchfabrics.com ?
Old 08-09-2011, 10:50 AM

The price of cotton went up. The stores raised their quilt fabric prices (even the bolts they paid less for long before the price of cotton went up). Now the price of cotton has gone back down. Do you see any stores lowering prices? Me neither! I'll find a better price online. Sorry local quilt store!