Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Have a question for you guys and  gals >

Have a question for you guys and gals

Have a question for you guys and gals

Old 08-09-2011, 04:14 PM
Power Poster

I have a double stainless steel sink double same size, very nice. I clean it with scrubbing bubbles and a formica countertop. Easy to clean.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:20 PM

I've had laminate for 10 years and would love to have a cement countertop but they are as expensive as granite. No one around here thinks of anything but granite and I don't care for that either. I would however, no matter what the countertop, get an undermount sink! I've seen recycled glass countertops that are fabulous (can be colorful) but again, the cost is not cheap. My current sink is a composite (dark grey) and I love it. Doesn't show stains, yes it still needs to be cleaned, or scratches.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:27 PM

I don't like granite. If you can afford Corian get that. I love my stainlees steel sink - Kohler.
I thought my old was so neat I loved it for a year! It was fiberglass, hot pot melted it was showed the stains and was hard to clean. Just buy the best you can afford.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:39 PM

I have a silestone countertop and love it. However, if I had it to do over I would get rounded edges. I have managed to have several chips occur on the edge.

As for sinks, anything except porcelin for me. The one I put in 6 years ago is stained and chipped-it's undermounted so I have no idea what it will involve to replace it.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by quiltmom04
When we were redoing our kitchen, i did a lot of research on countertops. I looked at granitem composite (Silestone) and corian. I had a Corian cutting board that didn't look so good after a bit or wear, so I eliminated that. granite, while beautiful, needs conditioning, and I know myself well enough to know that might be a problem, so it was out. I had a Silestone sample that I did ever awful thing to that I could think of. I put it over and open flame, sanded it, tried to cut it with knives. NOTHING did anything to it. So we chose that and I LOVE it. It has a antibacterial built in, and it just as shiny as granite. The sink is stainless, in the same footprint as the old double one, but twice as deep. I can wash a big soup kettle and cookie sheets submerged. I could also bath a baby if I ever get any grandchildren! Have fun choosing!
Thanks, that is what we were thinking of putting in our kitchen. We have really old laminate counter tops that seriously need to be replaced, not worn through yet, but getting close.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:04 PM

The nicest sink/counter material I have ever run across is a product called Corian. I have seen it with molded in sinks, and it looks gorgeous. It also comes in nearly any color you can dream up. (Think man made marble)
Old 08-09-2011, 06:34 PM

I have a Cambria quartz counter top. I absolutely love it! I have a nice grade stainless steel sink, one large and deep and the other normal size. I've had it all for just a year. Still can't decide on a backsplash.
Old 08-09-2011, 06:42 PM

Do some research on sinks too...We got one about 6 years ago...just a Big box one in stock...it chips, the surface no longer looks good - have to clean it all the time. It is (was) white enamel. I heard some of the stainless is junk now too....thin & tin sounding.
Old 08-09-2011, 06:44 PM

One of the few who are satisfied with tile. Have very thick Italian tile in each of my 2 kitchens -same pattern.
Understand it's a hard decision --funds helped me decide since I did not want formica but recently saw some that would change my mind with the bullnose front.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:28 PM

Quartz is maintenance free, non-porous and you can put hot pots on it with no problem. I prefer stainless for my sinks, just easier to keep clean. The biggest thing I would recommend with the sink is to have it mounted under the counter so you don't have a lip to go over when washing off your counters. My daughter has this and it makes it so much easier to get wet and dry messes into the sink.