Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric cost too much >

Fabric cost too much

Fabric cost too much

Old 08-09-2011, 07:53 PM

I was visiting Texas last week. The drought there is unbelievable! They were the 2nd largest producer of cotton in the US and they have lost their entire crop!! Several States have been trying to bring back the cotton industry to the US but the weather has been against them. Pray for rain for Texas and Oklahoma, please...
Also most of the cotton crops overseas were lost also...
Old 08-09-2011, 07:56 PM

I have been using the 200+ quilt shop search engine to find fabric. If I see something I really like, I go to that search engine, enter the fabric I'm searching for and then compare prices to find the BEST price.
Like most of you, I look hard for good bargains. I have found December a great time to find good prices. I'm thinking they don't want to pay taxes on the fabric in January, so they usually mark it down then. Or maybe it's discontinued fabric. I bought charm packs last December for $5 apiece. You can find good prices...I don't mind if it's discontinued or clearance. If I like it and it's a good price, it works for me.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
Originally Posted by ewecansew
I think 10 pages is enough on this subject as it has been hashed and rehashed many times on this board.
I would never have thought to post to tell everyone to stop posting as I'm not interested in the topic anymore. This is too funny. :lol:
Oh, I am interested, but it is so depressing. I quilt because I enjoy it and want it to be a fun activity not negativity.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:18 PM

And I do read each and every comment on items that I am interested in. Let's keep it fun.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:30 PM

I agree with the high prices in LQS...I can't afford to buy there. But, it's really hard for small businesses to make it.I get most of my fabric at JoAnn's on sale or with a coupon and some at Walmart.
Old 08-10-2011, 04:11 AM
Banned

I find there are a lot of fabrics on the internet at decent prices and / or sale prices. Sometimes selection is limited, it psyd to fo some browsing. I type in "fabric less than $5.00 for instsnce. The browser will bring up lots of stores, some fit wsat you arw looking for, some do not. Bookmark thr good ones so you can find them again.

"It's not the date you were born, or the date you died, that really matters. It's "The Dash" between those years, and what you do with it, to make a difference with your life."
Old 08-10-2011, 05:17 AM

I agree, fabric does cost too much anymore. With some of us on fixed incomes, we just have to figure out how we can buy fabric without doing without!
Old 08-10-2011, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by ThreadHead
I went to a local fabric store yesterday to pick up my pattern book. Every three or four yiears I buy their old pattern books when they get the new ones in. I was so upset at the prices of material. I refuse to pay 12.00 a yard. Most of the quilting fabric was 10.00 and UP, ultra suede was .45 cents and INCH. Needless to say, I walked out without buying anything. Just venting.
As a hand dyer, I have seen the plain white prepared for dyeing (PFD) fabric go from $3.00 yard to $6.00-$7.00 yard. I think the super nice LQS always had some fabrics for a dollar or two a yard more than some other stores carrying the same fabric elsewhere. Cotton, as a commodity has skyrocketed and unfortunately are too high for most. As a dyer, I look to older stash fabrics that I can alter by overdying or using surface design techniques (textile paints, discharge etc). This bad economy may be just the time to experiment and "make do" with what we have.

**If you need a large quilt back I custom dye cotton sheets to your color choice - 1 piece backs with no piecing. PM me if interested.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by crafterrn1
It only takes many small purchases to save a quilt shop! It takes no purchases for days at a time to kill one! Luann in CT
Thank you so much for mentioning that. If it weren’t for the small purchases, we couldn’t make it.

CD in Oklahoma
Old 08-10-2011, 09:01 AM

I know what you mean. I have read so many of these with people gripping about the price of material. I refuse to pay that amount too. We need to start a petition and all of us march at the fabric store, lol