Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How good are you at THROWING AWAY???? >

How good are you at THROWING AWAY????

How good are you at THROWING AWAY????

Old 08-10-2011, 04:37 AM

I just away a bag of scraps last night to a kids group. along with some ufo crafts.
Old 08-10-2011, 04:37 AM

I was throwing all my scraps in a big plastic bin - last month I started cutting them into usable pieces - 6.5, 2.5 & 1.5 and squares - also 2.5x6.5 strips. If I can't cut it to those sizes it get pitched. I figure I might get done in about 3 years! The good thing is I can see a scrap quilt or two evolving.
Old 08-10-2011, 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by pattypurple
From the looks of my sewing room, I must never throw things away. I just keep moving everything from one place to another when in straighten up the room. I've tried taking somethings to our local charity resale shop for craft goods, but I take in one box and come out with two.
I think when you try to use up your scraps they just expand when exposed to light as you dig through the containers.
Scraps expanding in the light sounds like something from quantum physics! That must be it why my scrap basket never empties.
Old 08-10-2011, 04:41 AM

I toss lots of scraps!
Old 08-10-2011, 04:50 AM

I never throw anything away. I love making crumb and string blocks. I stack them up till I have lots of them then I make quilts for QFK.
Old 08-10-2011, 04:54 AM

A year ago after my hubby finished a new sewing/quilting studio for me I decided to get rid of stuff that I wouldn't have room to store....(all the little bags of scraps from the dozens of quilts I have made for the last 20 years or more, etc., that I thought I would sometime make something from.) .. I found a local sewing center here in our city ( Edmonton) that gratefully takes donations of anything you have left and they have volunteers who make stuff for charities....basically, no piece of fabric is too small they said!.. so there is no need to worry about throwing anything away, I found.
Old 08-10-2011, 04:56 AM

I try to donate, I hate to see things wasted...and scraps equal money wasted too.
Old 08-10-2011, 04:59 AM

I'm not very good at throwing out. But I have made some progress over the last couple of months (thanks to a water leak around the ac in the sewing room). I don't keep "crumbs" - about the smallest I save are 2" or 2.5" squares. I'll go through my scrap box and cut different size charms;sort them into labeled see-through plastic shoe boxes - I think 6.5" are the biggest. After the leak - I had to move everything in that corner of the room- and the repairs were done - had to move everything back. :cry: I decided to rearrange and sort thru things (in all corners of the room) and ended up with 7 brown paper grocery bags full of odds and ends to carry to the thrift store, and a few things to list and sell. I like it much better now and quite truthfully, I haven't missed anything I gave away.

I would love to take lessons from my daughter on decluttering. She can walk into any room in her house, say I want to clean it up, and she can get rid of things quicker than you can blink your eyes. My dh is like that too. It's just not in me. I have to think about almost every item. I have found it is easier to chunk a few things; do something else; chunk a few more;.... Not so much stress that way. :lol:
Old 08-10-2011, 05:00 AM
Power Poster

I don't throw things away unless they are useless and can't be used. Now I am even looking at those tiny skinny pieces to fill a floor pillow maybe. DH sews small pieces,
1 1/2x 3 1/2 together on adding machine paper by color groups. He calls it making fabric for me. lol If I would not use it and it looks usuable, I would offer it to others.
Old 08-10-2011, 05:03 AM
Power Poster

I'm not good at all.