Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Every Quilt Doesn't Have to be a Masterpiece >

Every Quilt Doesn't Have to be a Masterpiece

Every Quilt Doesn't Have to be a Masterpiece

Old 08-11-2011, 05:07 AM

all true, and also - every quilt does not have to be finished, either. You can give away projects to others to continue, or use the fabrics as they want - I started a quilt for my sil and she died suddenly and I knew my brother didnt care for it, so I gave it to a sewing group and they were happy to finish it off and give it to their new pastor sharet
Old 08-11-2011, 05:11 AM

I am so glad I do not have to sew perfect by all your views.
A lady I know told me it has to be perfect. so i have been very scared to start a small pieces. and designs. I have made several yoyo quilts. I made designs out of them but the piece one still scare me even though I have tons of material to do it. I as off work this summer but could not be on feet much so embroidered. I start back to work and home to start a new and interesting project and do not feel bad having so many things started, after listening to all of you.
Old 08-11-2011, 05:22 AM

I totally agree.
Old 08-11-2011, 05:25 AM

Good for you... I was that way about education... and it finally dawned on me that I didnt have to prove anything... (that was after lots of $ and 12 years of college - I am 63 now). Like you, being Mom was always my first priority and still is, even though my son is married and living in another state. I am lucky I have a very sweet daughter-in-law who doesn't mind sharing. But now, my daily routine is quilting and taking time for a cup of tea. I am glad you skipped all the years of "proving" ... they are absolutely unnecessary. I am happy for your early wisdom.
Old 08-11-2011, 05:27 AM

BRAVO! :thumbup:

Quilting is not about perfection but about the love you put into it.

Personally I live to annoy the quilt police. :-D

To my knowledge there are no perfect people in this world but Jesus.

The receiver is the one who determines if a quilt is awesome and not the quilt police. And the giver created it with love.
Old 08-11-2011, 05:40 AM

Pumpkin patch, that middle is so beautiful. You know, the designers have their way, and it isn't always the way our brain works, so we have to make it our way. You did that, and I love it.
Old 08-11-2011, 05:42 AM

I for one love your vent! I feel exactly the same way. There is a local quilt club close to me, in order to join this club you need to bring in a finished project and a completed block in order to join. They go over it with a fine tooth comb, no thanks for me! I'm not perfect in my quilts and I don't claim to be I do what I like and if someone else doesn't like it thats fine, but my recipients love what they get from me as each year I make each member of my family a quilt, they ask that they keep coming, so I must be doing something right! LOL
Old 08-11-2011, 05:45 AM

A lesson learned and good for you at 30! Some people never get it... :wink:
Old 08-11-2011, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by arkansasquilter123
Very well said. I know that people have made me feel bad about my quilting and I really took it to heart. I even sew scraps together to make quilts for people that NEED them, and had one woman (a fellow quilter) tell me that the blocks were UGLY. How rude. I informed her that it would still make someone warm and/or feel better. I think beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, and the gesture of giving is the important part. I personally have yet to see an UGLY quilt, as I think there is personality, character, and love that goes into EVERY quilt, no matter what fabric is used.
I quilt with a bunch of church ladies, and some of ours are really ugly. However, when you think of where they are going (World relief) and that they will probably be used for walls or even shade, who cares if they are not absolutely perfect. For many years we quilted with double knit polyester (you know, the kind that has a life of a million years) and I used to be a snob about it, yuck. But when I found out that these weren't going on a bed, because most of the people don't have a bed, I knew that we were doing the right thing.
Old 08-11-2011, 05:48 AM

very well said and you have to do what makes you happy.