Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you do with your scraps? >

What do you do with your scraps?

What do you do with your scraps?

Old 08-11-2011, 08:01 AM

I take mine to some Amish friends and they appreciate them so much. I do the same with sewing notions I know I will never use.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by Shelbie
I have several scrap quilt patterns that I often use to control my scraps. When my scrap bin starts to overflow, I spend some time cutting and put everything including the pattern into a shoe box. Then when I am between projects or bored with the current one, I can pull out my shoebox and stitch some blocks. This works well for me.
Great idea.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:39 AM

I save it ALL. I never pre-cut sizes, as I don't know what will inspire me. I am an art quilter too, so some smaller pieces end up in those. I sort by color and use in paper piecing. The smalles peices are chopped up like confetti size and captured under black (fine mesh) tule. They make a water color Monet effect. Then I FMQ through the tule with monofilament thread to tack it down. Look up Noriko Endo to see her work.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:44 AM

I cut my up scraps into different size blocks & put them in zip lock bags. I took a scrappy quilt class at a quilt show and brought them with me.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by carolaug
If you have the Go...the leaves and stems die is AWESOME to use on those very small pieces makes very thin stems and very small circles. I have been cutting all night....I will give out many to my friends and also lots for me...I would normally throw out scraps this small...and I can mail the pieces to my friends that live far away for what is it now 35 cents??
First class mail is 44 cents for 1st oz and 20 cents per oz after that.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:09 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
I have a tall plastic tote for my scraps and when it gets full, I find a scrap pattern and use some of it. My goal to empty the bin has failed miserably - it seems that the scraps multiply overnight. DH suggested to leave the light on so they don't do anything naughty. lol
lol...ow! ow-ow-ow!!! ;) :lol:
Old 08-11-2011, 09:18 AM

thanks for sharing. I am an extremely new at quilting and this is a great idea. I have a lot of scraps! Lol :D
Old 08-11-2011, 09:36 AM

I have made a couple of scrap quilts and for some reason my scraps seem to double every time I do that. Hmmm.. I wonder if they are related to rabbits?? LO1 :)
Old 08-11-2011, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by Fabaddict
I cut mine up as I finish a quilt. Anything too small to even bee a string goes in a bucket to make pet pillows for the local animal shelter. Works great and I throw nothing out
Last week my guild's philanthropic arm had our annual Pet Day. We made 85 extra-large beds for our local animal shelter, as they requested. Last year we made 184 beds of all sizes. I also make a half-dozen at a time for a wonderful lady who feeds the feral kitties at 6 feeding stations. The beds are always welcomed!
Old 08-11-2011, 09:43 AM

I have been cutting some of my scaps into usable squares. You can make 9 patches and then put them all together to make a quilt. I like 2 1/2" sqs.