Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Every Quilt Doesn't Have to be a Masterpiece >

Every Quilt Doesn't Have to be a Masterpiece

Every Quilt Doesn't Have to be a Masterpiece

Old 08-11-2011, 08:03 AM

You are an inspiration! I am glad that you have moved on from the critical people. I love that people here are at all levels and so willing to share. Happy quilting!
Old 08-11-2011, 08:27 AM

Way to go girl! So glad you are you! Lucky you for having learned what so many people never learn in an entire lifetime.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:28 AM

woo-hoo, your thoughts are exactly mine and I have learned this is about fun, enjoyment and pride in my skill level - I am a newbie (less than 1 year) but being perfect was my goal for everything and crafts was no different. So glad you got past your road blocks and are ready to let your hair blow in the wind!
Old 08-11-2011, 08:35 AM

HI, JUST TO ADD A NOTE TO ALL OF THE WONDERFUL COMMENTS......FIRST OF ALL "TREAT OTHERS AS YOU WANT TO BE TREATED IN ALL THINGS." THEN..............YOU PLEASE YOURSELF, QUILT LIKE YOU WANT TO QUILT, QUILT FOR YOU,THAT WILL MAKE YOU HAPPY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!PEACE
Old 08-11-2011, 08:48 AM

I am 58 and new to quilting AND I needed to hear (read) that. Thank you soo much for sharing! I tend to be a perfectionist and expect my 3 (LOL) quilts to be just smashing and I end up sweating over everything. Although they have turned out well, I want to enjoy making the next 17 (for my grandchildren). Cudoos to you!
Old 08-11-2011, 08:50 AM

I received this in an email yesterday:

If you are NOT being treated with love and respect, check your price tag. Perhaps You have marked Yourself down. It's YOU who tells people what you are worth by what YOU accept. Get off the clearance rack and get behind the glass where the valuables are kept! Learn to value YOURSELF more! If you don't, no one else will!
Old 08-11-2011, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by pumpkinpatchquilter
This is the lesson I am slowly learning. I have been quilting for 6 years, and as a new quilter I surrounded myself with some of THE most knowledgeable, and intimidating quilters in the area. I was 24 years old, green and new to the quilting world when I began. As I progressed I felt like I had to do BIGGER, BETTER, and GREATER to be taken even a little bit seriously by these women who were much older than me and knew what seemed to be SO very much more than me about quilting. If I wasn't getting snubbed for my age I was getting snubbed for my skill level. I am an artist at heart, all I wanted for years when I was young was to go to art school. That unfortunately never happened for me as I started a family early, and many of you know just how hard it is to go back to school with small children. But it was a blessing, truly, because my family is my world, and making a quilt for my daughter was what brought me to find my life's passion in quilting. All of this combined with a really awful experience with a quilt shop owner who hired me to teach a class but then treated me so rudely as if I didn't know a darn thing I was talking about has left me with this need to prove myself artistically and I feel like for the past several years I've been on this personal MISSION to prove to anybody and EVERYBODY that I am capapble, I am skilled, and gosh darnit, I'm artistic!!!

You know what? I refuse to live with that insecurity any longer, I know who I am and what I can do. Here I am. I am 30 years old, I'm a Mother first and foremost, second a wife, and third I'm a dedicated quilter. I have finally learned that FOR ME, every quilt doesn't need to be a masterpiece. Every quilt that I create does not have to knock everybody's socks off, and it doesn't have to encase all the techniques I have learned in the past 6 years to PROVE that I am a capable quilter. That is not to say I don't do the best I can with every quilt, but a corner that doesn't match perfectly doesn't always need to be ripped and resewn. Every project doesn't need to be the hardest and most complicated project I've ever done. I adore challenging projects but a simple nine patch quilt can be just as satisfying to complete as the most complicated paper pieced mariners compass.

Thanks for the vent. Just thought I'd share that little revelation, because I know I'm not the only one who feels like they need to prove themselves to the local quilting veterans. ;)
Well, in the first place, I am sorry that your first experience with a shop owner had to be so awful, and I am also sorry that older quilters you came across made you feel this way. Your right that every quilt doesn't need to be a master piece. I often find that after finishing a fancy quilt, I am ready for something more simple. This is true after my avatar quilt was made. Boy, was I ready for a simple quilt. You need to do what you want to do and not worry about what others think or expect from you. You do it your way, in your time. But one thing I do request, is we all want pictures of your quilts, plain or fancy! :thumbup: Jan
Old 08-11-2011, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by mshollysd
Pumpkin Patch, I have been quilting for over 35 years and I am just like you. One day I figured out that the quilting police is not coming over to arrest me because one of my corners isn't perfect. Even on my avatar, that quilt was painted with fabric paint, not embroidered. You would have thought I had committed a crime. So I salute you!!!! You figured out something that I didn't for 30 years. Go for it and I am proud of you!!!
That is painted! Well, good for you. I want to learn to do that so bad. A couple of gals that I go to quilt camp are coming over to my house next month, so we can play with paints, crayons and stick paints. I am so excited!!! Jan
Old 08-11-2011, 10:21 AM

You sound like a person I'd like to know and quilt with. Your work and colors are so beautiful!!! That is the most beautiful design I've seen in a long time. Thank you for sharing it. Keep up the good work and forget all about the quilting police, they don't exist!
Old 08-11-2011, 10:25 AM

I imagine that at one time or another, in a large or small way, each one of us has been our own "quilt policer". I did when I first started quilting, but am happy to say I have kicked it out.