Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need Recommendation for Seam Ripper!! >

Need Recommendation for Seam Ripper!!

Need Recommendation for Seam Ripper!!

Old 08-11-2011, 08:03 AM

I have Fons and Porter one that is red and white and I like that one. Plus I have one that I bought at a flea market a man had take a piece of wood and ground out the middle so you could stick the little blue plastic seam ripper into it. But I haven't been able to locate that one lately. I also bout one that has a curved hook that I really like but I don't know the name of that one. My sewing room is torn apart as DH had to repair a leak that we had in the basement.

QuilterFay in Saskatchewan
Old 08-11-2011, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by Nanamoms
Ok, here's my issue. I have one little red seam ripper that I love because it is petite and has a thin blade...hate those thick blade ones. I'm scared that I'm gong to lose it and not have a replacement! :) So I'm looking for a back-up. I have tiny hands and also have fibro so need something that is easy to hold and comfortable, too. I like the short ones because I can handle them better.

Which one would you all recommend????
Dritz makes a small one with a folding blade and the blade is thinner and very sharp, they are hard to find, but I have managed tolocate 3 at some of the larger JoAnns. Why 3? Because I am one to mislay things and I couldnt work without this one!! (Well I could but I would be a nut till I found it!) :thumbup:
Old 08-11-2011, 08:05 AM

I use the Fons and Porter seam ripper, but that ProSeam Ripper looks good. They do look like scalpels.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:28 AM

I use my small rotary cutter. Works great. Just barely graze the seam with it. Goes fast and so far I've never cut my fabric. I think Eleanor Burns uses this method.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:33 AM

I use the Clover - here it comes with a cream handle. I've looked at the F&P one and it looks like it's just as fine and has a larger handle.
I also have one that someone's husband made for me. He made a larger handle on a lathe and glued in the tip. It's great for when my arthritis is acting up.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:27 AM

About 6 months ago I heard about using "eyebrow trimmers". They work! I've actually attempted to slip up and it does NOT cut the fabric, but goes very quickly on the thread. The technique is to hold each side of the seam and stroke down the middle. Works for me. Bought mine in a package of three for less than $3 and gave two as gifts. You'll find them near the eyelash curlers in the cosmetics section at any big box store or pharmacy that carries that sort of thing.
Kay in NJ
Old 08-11-2011, 10:29 AM

A question - where can we buy the #12 disposable scalpel? That might be good to have on hand, too.
Kay in NJ
Old 08-11-2011, 10:29 AM

Tried dozens and the only one I would reccomend is Havel's seam ripper. Handle has enough weight to make it easy to control. The blades are easy to replace.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:37 AM

I too have the Dritz folding blade. LOVE IT. My original one came from Germany, it was my Mother's. Just recently found those at JoAnn's, bought 3 alos. :)
Old 08-11-2011, 11:00 AM

I bought the most wonderful one from Ugly Cook on this board.She and her husband make them and they have a small ripper and a large one.They are made of wood and nicely balanced.PM her and she will send you pic's.It will last a life time.