Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Dispelling Myths about Quilts of Valor >

Dispelling Myths about Quilts of Valor

Dispelling Myths about Quilts of Valor

Old 08-11-2011, 10:05 AM

The clarification is certainly reasonable and if somebody is interested in participating the various levels of participation make it very easy. Thanks for the edification.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:25 AM

great to know! Thanks!!
Old 08-11-2011, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
while this seems NICE info, I continue to disagree! ........ I prefer to keep it local..everyone has a VFW or DAV center...find it and give your lovely handmade quilts to a real deserving VEt..
I personally feel as long as it goes to support any worthy cause it doesn't matter which organzation you choose to support. It's up to each individual person to decide what they consider worthy.

There are many local and national organizations that support our troops and each fills a need. All quilts that are made with love and sewn the very best we can will find a home.

This board is very special in that many people do chose to support many different organizations. It's not a matter that one is better then another, they are all equally good in their own ways. If a person does not agree with the politics of an organization, it's ok to look else where.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:34 AM

I do not think that QOV, Soldiers Angels, or the one I work with, Miracle Quilts are in competition.

We are all working for the same cause, to comfort our wounded soldiers. There are enough wounded soldiers to go around. In fact, we have too many.

So let us all do what we can to help these causes, or others that are dear to our hearts. There are many charity groups for soldiers, children, nursing homes, homeless and even police carry comfort quilts in their cars.

Jean
Old 08-11-2011, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by jeank
I do not think that QOV, Soldiers Angels, or the one I work with, Miracle Quilts are in competition.

We are all working for the same cause, to comfort our wounded soldiers. There are enough wounded soldiers to go around. In fact, we have too many.

So let us all do what we can to help these causes, or others that are dear to our hearts. There are many charity groups for soldiers, children, nursing homes, homeless and even police carry comfort quilts in their cars.

Jean
No one said they were in competition but I do believe that education is helpful. If one understands Quilts of Valor guidelines and wishes to conform and support them I think that's terrific. I personally contributed a block to them through the county fair. I just think Soldiers Angels guidelines are less strident and, therefore, lends itself to wider participation by those who wish to donate quilts to a worthy cause but don't have the skill level required by QOV. Blessings to everyone who supports our warriors because our troops are the best this nation has to offer.
Old 08-11-2011, 12:23 PM

I did not know about any of this, but have visited the site and am now totally committed to contributing.
thank you so much for sharing again for others like me that were unaware of this organization.
Old 08-11-2011, 12:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bearlea
As a mom who lost her son in Iraq almost 6 years ago I take my hat off to all of you that make quilts for QOV....on eo fmy sons friends received one of the quilts when he was hit with shrapmill...and you are right about the quilts needing more washing then alot of regular quilts...these men and women use these quilts as a comfort in times of difficutly to get through each day...I totally agree with the guidelines and I believe they are set there for excellent reasons..thank you for clearing up some of the negative responses of QOV...and I agree with you also..if your hearts not in it find another organization that can best use your help...as America brought home 30 men this week that were killed in Afganistan I can't help but think that there are 30 families that would have rather their sons have received A Quilt of Valor instead of a folded flag....I would have....blessings
there is a group that makes quilts for the families of the LOST soldiers..it was started by a young girl name Jessica Porter...as she grew up, she moved on and let a group of military wives take over. You can read about Jessica's story here ; http://www.tampabay.com/news/humanin...res-to/1115301
and here is the info I could find for the ladies who took this project over!
http://www.cannonconnections.com/art...s-caprock.html

EVERY soldier deserves a quilt...even if they have to leave it with their family!
Old 08-11-2011, 12:56 PM

Location: Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!

agree 110 % as a military family.
Old 08-11-2011, 01:00 PM

The last week of July our state guild sponsored Quilts of Valor, There were 36 quilts presented. Our small group did 16 of those quilts. We were so happy that our small group were so well represented, just hope each quilt gives comfort to someone. One of our members is a LA quilter and she quilted them all for free, that and she also made one of the quilts. Thats going above and beyond!
Old 08-11-2011, 01:45 PM

THANK YOU Andi for this.
I have been making QOV's for 5 years and have heard so many things about QOV's that were simply NOT true.
The one thing that always sticks in my mind about QOV's is that they are NOT charity quilts, they are AWARDS to our military men & women for a job very well done.