Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 08-11-2011, 01:33 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by justtrish
Originally Posted by Suzi
Originally Posted by miriam
Originally Posted by dirty1mom
I have a 185J that's supposed to arrive on Friday from shopgoodwill.com. I'm hoping that it arrives all in one piece. I can't wait to look up the date and sew on it. Glad to hear it comes apart easily for cleaning.
I am glad someone here got that machine! I had a long argument with myself about bidding on it, but I have my eye on another machine.
Me too. (I'm glad you got it Betty!!!) I'm just up to my eyeballs in poison ivy. This is now the third time this summer. AND I broke my baby toe. AND I have extra work I'm suppose to do.
Good Lord, Woman! What are you doing wrong right now? Poison ivy for the third time (you know you can become super sensitive to that stuff and it will put you in the hospital) and now a broken pinky. One must be more careful of one's body - it has to last you awhile! :roll:
I am lost who is it that has posion ivy again..is it Miriam?[/quote]

It's me - I'm doing better...
Old 08-11-2011, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Sewer65
My husband pick me up a Singer Spartan 192k sewing machine at a garage sale for $10.00 today.I've been all over on the computer,Trying to find a manual for it and find out the age.Can you help me in any way.
Thank you for your time.
Elaine Sewer65
http://www.singerco.com/accessories/instruction-manuals

Just type in the model# (192) and it'll give you a link to download a manual for free. :)

Check a page back and there are links to the serial number info!

Enjoy!
Old 08-11-2011, 02:23 PM

Billy - hope you can help me- years ago (more than 20) I bought an old machine that I bought just purely as a display item as I thought it looked cool in it's wood case, which was the bentwood style. I never expected it to work and never checked it out to work. Well now I am interested in the old machines to actually sew on, so today I dug it out and took a look at it. WOW is all I can say - it looks to be a 1911 Singer 66 - the serial number is G0564792 which on Singer website is 1910 but the bobbin bed cover plate says Patented Canada Aug 1, 1911 - so I'm guessing the 1910 is just a start date of these being produced. Mine is electric and does work with a working light. The cord and foot petal is in great shape so I'm guessing the motor was added later and not really production timeline. The bentwood case has a metal box section at the far right side with some ? electric connectors post - I'm not sure what thats all for and I haven't tried to open it up. I was able to stitch with it and it did beautifully but I don't want to do anymore without oiling it. Also can't find a way to do a reverse stitch or vary the length - do you know if you could with this machine or was it just a plain one size, one direction machine? I want to polish it up to start - any suggestions on how to clean all the scroll plating? and make them shine? How can I find an owners manual for oiling and threading?

Thanks for any help you can give me.
Pat
Old 08-11-2011, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by SewExtreme
I have been away from the cafe for a few days. Does anyone know what has happened to the wonderful Singer site where you could look up most vintage machines by their serial number to find what they are and when they were commissioned to be built? That same site all looks different now and I couldn't find the usual info I had been so used to locating. Thanks.
It has changed! Try this:
http://www.singerco.com/support/machineSerialNumbers
Old 08-11-2011, 03:43 PM

Oh my! A great listing for a "Vintage" Featherweight on my local CL appeared this afternoon. I wonder how old is vintage in their minds?! LOL!!!!!!! http://sacramento.craigslist.org/atq/2541744772.html

:thumbdown: :thumbdown:
Old 08-11-2011, 03:52 PM

I have an opportunity of purchasing a "1876 Domestic D treadle" in a very nice cabinet...belt broken but machine has no rust and graphic very nice...I wasn't able to open plate where bobbin is...I'm assuming that's where it is...to see what kind of bobbin it takes if it had one to begin with...Can anyone tell me anything abt this machine and is it worth my consideration...can parts be found...i.e.bobbins, belts, feet...it's only 50.00
Old 08-11-2011, 04:06 PM

Picked up 3 machines at an auction today. 66 Red Eye -$5, Stitchmaster 15 clone - $7.50 and a 301 for $7. Will post pics tomorrow.
Old 08-11-2011, 04:08 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by lee231
Picked up 3 machines at an auction today. 66 Red Eye -$5, Stitchmaster 15 clone - $7.50 and a 301 for $7. Will post pics tomorrow.
WOW! You are SEW blessed!
Old 08-11-2011, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Candace
Oh my! A great listing for a "Vintage" Featherweight on my local CL appeared this afternoon. I wonder how old is vintage in their minds?! LOL!!!!!!! http://sacramento.craigslist.org/atq/2541744772.html

:thumbdown: :thumbdown:
I sent him an e-mail explaining that machine is not a 'vintage' anything! I also directed him on what a 'vintage' Singer Featherweight actually looks like and how to look it up!

Nancy
Old 08-11-2011, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by quiltlady
Billy - hope you can help me- years ago (more than 20) I bought an old machine that I bought just purely as a display item as I thought it looked cool in it's wood case, which was the bentwood style. I never expected it to work and never checked it out to work. Well now I am interested in the old machines to actually sew on, so today I dug it out and took a look at it. WOW is all I can say - it looks to be a 1911 Singer 66 - the serial number is G0564792 which on Singer website is 1910 but the bobbin bed cover plate says Patented Canada Aug 1, 1911 - so I'm guessing the 1910 is just a start date of these being produced. Mine is electric and does work with a working light. The cord and foot petal is in great shape so I'm guessing the motor was added later and not really production timeline. The bentwood case has a metal box section at the far right side with some ? electric connectors post - I'm not sure what thats all for and I haven't tried to open it up. I was able to stitch with it and it did beautifully but I don't want to do anymore without oiling it. Also can't find a way to do a reverse stitch or vary the length - do you know if you could with this machine or was it just a plain one size, one direction machine? I want to polish it up to start - any suggestions on how to clean all the scroll plating? and make them shine? How can I find an owners manual for oiling and threading?

Thanks for any help you can give me.
Pat
I researched this further today on internet - I can't actually find the serial numbers on Singer site - the closest range said it was a Singer 66 but when I look further at internet pictures of vintage machines it looks like it's a Singer 128 - one Ebay seller claims their's is from 1927 in one place but then calls it a 1920 elsewhere.
Except for the connection to the motor mine looks just like this - http://s251.photobucket.com/albums/g...t=P1190151.jpg

I'm going to call Singer tomorrow about the serial number.