Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 08-11-2011, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by Candace
Originally Posted by Kathie S.
I sent him an e-mail explaining that machine is not a 'vintage' anything! I also directed him on what a 'vintage' Singer Featherweight actually looks like and how to look it up!

Nancy

What's bad is that this person can't even google???? Lame.
You are too nice...I yelled out what a moron when I read the post.
Old 08-11-2011, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
I just put in an offer on a Singer 319W. Green one:> We'll see if it'll be coming home with me tomorrow....
I hope you get it! Here is a YouTube video made by a woman who converted her green 319w to a treadle. The video shows her making the different stitches.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7PVLI-LHDc

Here is a link to some info for the stitches that you can make:

http://www.vintagesewingmachines.biz/singer/319W.HTML

Makes me want to get one!! :shock:
Cool, thanks for the links. If I don't get this one, I'll get another. It's an "I need one" kind of machine.
Old 08-11-2011, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by Kathie S.
I sent him an e-mail explaining that machine is not a 'vintage' anything! I also directed him on what a 'vintage' Singer Featherweight actually looks like and how to look it up!

Nancy

What's bad is that this person can't even google???? Lame.
You are too nice...I yelled out what a moron when I read the post.

Hehehahaha!
Old 08-11-2011, 06:47 PM

Oh my! A great listing for a "Vintage" Featherweight on my local CL appeared this afternoon. I wonder how old is vintage in their minds?! LOL!!!!!!! http://sacramento.craigslist.org/atq/2541744772.html

:thumbdown: :thumbdown:
Obviously the person does not know there is a new designation for a featherweight... The wonderful old ones and the not so hot new ones, known as featherweight II.
Old 08-11-2011, 06:54 PM

Talking about FW. I have noticed lots of new posts on CListing this past week for FWs. I guess the Stock Market dropped so much that folks are selling their FWs....just joking. But I have noticed numerous new postings with the range from $250 up to over a $1000.
Old 08-11-2011, 06:54 PM

Oh my! A great listing for a "Vintage" Featherweight on my local CL appeared this afternoon. I wonder how old is vintage in their minds?! LOL!!!!!!! http://sacramento.craigslist.org/atq/2541744772.html

:thumbdown: :thumbdown:
Well, it would be a "featherweight"!! :)
Old 08-11-2011, 06:55 PM

This FW listing is interesting:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/art/2521914387.html
Old 08-11-2011, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by quiltlady
Billy - hope you can help me- years ago (more than 20) I bought an old machine that I bought just purely as a display item as I thought it looked cool in it's wood case, which was the bentwood style. I never expected it to work and never checked it out to work. Well now I am interested in the old machines to actually sew on, so today I dug it out and took a look at it. WOW is all I can say - it looks to be a 1911 Singer 66 - the serial number is G0564792 which on Singer website is 1910 but the bobbin bed cover plate says Patented Canada Aug 1, 1911 - so I'm guessing the 1910 is just a start date of these being produced. Mine is electric and does work with a working light. The cord and foot petal is in great shape so I'm guessing the motor was added later and not really production timeline. The bentwood case has a metal box section at the far right side with some ? electric connectors post - I'm not sure what thats all for and I haven't tried to open it up. I was able to stitch with it and it did beautifully but I don't want to do anymore without oiling it. Also can't find a way to do a reverse stitch or vary the length - do you know if you could with this machine or was it just a plain one size, one direction machine? I want to polish it up to start - any suggestions on how to clean all the scroll plating? and make them shine? How can I find an owners manual for oiling and threading?

Thanks for any help you can give me.
Pat
I researched this further today on internet - I can't actually find the serial numbers on Singer site - the closest range said it was a Singer 66 but when I look further at internet pictures of vintage machines it looks like it's a Singer 128 - one Ebay seller claims their's is from 1927 in one place but then calls it a 1920 elsewhere.
Except for the connection to the motor mine looks just like this - http://s251.photobucket.com/albums/g...8/?action=view¤t=P1190151.jpg

I'm going to call Singer tomorrow about the serial number.
WOW, she is a beauty!! I believe she is a singer 128. I found one in a consignment shop here and when I looked up the SN, it was a 128. Then I won one on eBay (go figure why I did that, except the price was right) and both needed repairs. Just found out today from my local repair guy that I can get one of them in perfect shape plus he bought the "leftover" of the other one...so was great deal for me.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
That is interesting!! Much better than the "vintage" plastic piece of crap that was listed earlier in the thread! I'd like to see it in person just so I could say I had seen one. In my dreams perhaps.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by chris_quilts
Billy - hope you can help me- years ago (more than 20) I bought an old machine that I bought just purely as a display item as I thought it looked cool in it's wood case, which was the bentwood style. I never expected it to work and never checked it out to work. Well now I am interested in the old machines to actually sew on, so today I dug it out and took a look at it. WOW is all I can say - it looks to be a 1911 Singer 66 - the serial number is G0564792 which on Singer website is 1910 but the bobbin bed cover plate says Patented Canada Aug 1, 1911 - so I'm guessing the 1910 is just a start date of these being produced. Thanks for any help you can give me. Pat
I researched this further today on internet - I can't actually find the serial numbers on Singer site - when I look further at internet pictures of vintage machines it looks like it's a Singer 128
Looking at the Singer single letter serial # site (link is on page 1473 or 1474 on this thread), I found that it is a Singer 128-3, manufactured in St. Jean, Quebec, on Dec 22, 1923. Hope this helps. When you scroll thru the #s, scroll down until the numbers begin with 0 and there you find your machine. ~ Chris
Thanks Chris, I found it myself, went back to update my post and noted yours. I think it's been upgraded on the pedal and cord - this pedal looks like it has never set on a floor anywhere- pristine clean. The pedal cord and plug cord all comes from the motor also and not from the side metal box area that has a connection for it. Now I just have to figure out how to clean it up and oil it.
Pat