Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 08-11-2011, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Talking about FW. I have noticed lots of new posts on CListing this past week for FWs. I guess the Stock Market dropped so much that folks are selling their FWs....just joking. But I have noticed numerous new postings with the range from $250 up to over a $1000.
I've also noticed that several FW's go Ebay go unbid on. I can understand the higher priced ones but some are no reserve and still go unbid on.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:31 PM

Anyone have any idea what this is? Again a high reserve of who knows what - and it's shown with a manual with a cover that doesn't quite match the machine.

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=8377511
Old 08-11-2011, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by deplaylady
Anyone have any idea what this is? Again a high reserve of who knows what - and it's shown with a manual with a cover that doesn't quite match the machine.

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=8377511
Yes, if you look at the pics it's a Sew Mor 920 (I think)? Very cool and retro;> Love it.
Old 08-12-2011, 01:26 AM
Power Poster

Well, it isn't poison ivy but Virginia Creeper that's all over me. It responds to nothing. Dr. says it is a whole lot more intense than PI. And we do have it all over the yard... I've never had anything like this. DH has it too. We have never been into Round Up but I'm thinking we will give it a sporting chance. I just figured it was poison ivy since it is also all over the yard. There was even a vine of PI growing in the living room window. See my blog. If I could I would sew - too much misery. LOL
Old 08-12-2011, 02:20 AM

Thank you!

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
Originally Posted by quilt addict
Originally Posted by SewExtreme
I have been away from the cafe for a few days. Does anyone know what has happened to the wonderful Singer site where you could look up most vintage machines by their serial number to find what they are and when they were commissioned to be built? That same site all looks different now and I couldn't find the usual info I had been so used to locating. Thanks.
Singer changed the site. It was discussed on the Singer Yahoo group but I don't have the new link yet. :(
Here is the new one:
http://www.singerco.com/support/machineSerialNumbers
:-D
Old 08-12-2011, 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by miriam
Well, it isn't poison ivy but Virginia Creeper that's all over me. It responds to nothing. Dr. says it is a whole lot more intense than PI. And we do have it all over the yard... I've never had anything like this. DH has it too. We have never been into Round Up but I'm thinking we will give it a sporting chance. I just figured it was poison ivy since it is also all over the yard. There was even a vine of PI growing in the living room window. See my blog. If I could I would sew - too much misery. LOL
Dear Miriam, I am so sorry you are suffering.

Please hire professionals to remove (round-up or whatever) your poisin vines. We deal with cheetgrass here on our farm and I know you have to catch it at certain times and re spray at specific times to get rid of the seedlings, etc. You do not ~~nor does your body~~ need another episode. The investment will be worth it, I am sure. God bless you my dear. :-( :-( :-(
Old 08-12-2011, 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by miriam
Here's an explanation of Virginia Creeper. We have it all over and have not had a problem with it during the 50 years we've been in contact with the plants and I am super sensitive to topical irritants.. It had 5 leaves, not 3, and have never heard of it being toxic. Learn something new every day.

Since Virginia creeper is one of the plants mistaken for poison ivy, many people wonder if it is "poisonous" in the sense that poison ivy is poisonous. The sap flowing through Virginia creeper vines does contain oxalate crystals, which can be an irritant for a small percentage of people. If you're unsure as to whether you're one of those people, don't touch Virginia creeper, since the result of contact could be a nasty skin rash. Nor should you eat Virginia creeper berries.
Old 08-12-2011, 03:41 AM

Originally Posted by Quilt Mom
Originally Posted by Candace
Oh my! A great listing for a "Vintage" Featherweight on my local CL appeared this afternoon. I wonder how old is vintage in their minds?! LOL!!!!!!! http://sacramento.craigslist.org/atq/2541744772.html

:thumbdown: :thumbdown:
Obviously the person does not know there is a new designation for a featherweight... The wonderful old ones and the not so hot new ones, known as featherweight II.
Maybe the 118 # on his Fw, made him think it was "older " than the FW221's. LOL
Old 08-12-2011, 04:48 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by deplaylady
I had a nice surprise today - my shopgoodwill package arrived a day early so I have a new green machine! Singer 185J, JD777980 - 1954(date found after relocating the Singer serial numbers!) I had to put a new belt on it, but I had it ready because I knew it was missing it. It runs really nice!
Actually it looks like you have a 185K because of the faceplate. But it could have been changed out sometime in its life....... But the "K's" had the half chrome and paint faceplate.

Billy
Old 08-12-2011, 05:04 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Actually the Texas State Fair is the rarest one I believe. Singer did up a few special badges through the years as a promotion to expos, state fairs, and so forth. But I would not give anything more than $500 for it.

Billy