Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric cost too much >

Fabric cost too much

Fabric cost too much

Old 08-10-2011, 12:52 PM

I did my due diligence today and spent a wad on $7.00 a yard fabric at the LQS. They give great service and I wanted to support them since following this thread.

Originally Posted by ThayerRags
Originally Posted by crafterrn1
It only takes many small purchases to save a quilt shop! It takes no purchases for days at a time to kill one! Luann in CT
Thank you so much for mentioning that. If it weren’t for the small purchases, we couldn’t make it.

CD in Oklahoma
Old 08-10-2011, 01:25 PM

Thank you, Nolee.
Old 08-10-2011, 01:47 PM

Try to find places that do a monthly sale or have a rewards system. Like...The Olive Juice Quilt Shop in La Crosse, WI has "Bag Lady Day" where on the first Thursday of every month any fabric you put into one of their reuseable bags is 20% off....that $12 fabric becomes $9.60 a yard. :D Heart to Hands in Neillsville, WI has a rewards system you can sign up for. Buy so much and you get a discount on your next purchase...something like that. I haven't actually bought enough yet to get the "reward" so I forgot what it actually is (Joe takes me if I have a dentist appointment). lol. A couple months ago they had a fat quarter sale where for every x-amount of fat quarters you bought they gave you one for free. Missouri Star Quilt Co. has a rewards system on their website. You get points for just about every purchase and you can use those points to get a discount on a future purchase (technically if you had enough points you could get something for free). Plus, they also have their Daily Deal.
Old 08-10-2011, 03:00 PM

Erica's in South Bend, IN has a rewards system too.
Old 08-10-2011, 03:14 PM

I love Stitch-N-Frame online. Every Wednesday, she sends out an email of specials for the next 24 hours. I just got mine today. Many of the fabrics are name brand fabrics, 1st quality today and are $5.99 or $6.99 per yard. Her service is excellent as well. I've ordered from them probably two dozen times and always been pleased.
Old 08-11-2011, 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by zoeytoo
Originally Posted by madamepurl
One thing I worry about is what about new quilters. I am a new quilter and I signed up for a FW quilt along. Well, I bought a piece of fabric for the border that is directional. I said... I wasn't sure about cutting it and they said - when the time comes we'll help you. If you have any trouble this month we'll help you. The other shop I frequent a lot is the same way. You can go or call with a question and I love the ladies that work there, so sometimes I stop in to see what's new and just have a quick chat. Not take up too much time or if I know there is a sale in progress I just have a look around and move on. I like to shop in my pajamas, but you just don't get the help that you need when your a newbie.
I must go to swank Quilt shops. I go in cheery but not too classy dressed.
They give me a cold look down their noses. I check to be sure my shoes are not mismatched. I don't think I look like a bag lady. I tell them what my project is and the type of fabric I might use. They could care less. I feel like a hobo at a family picnic. I leave with my fat wallet unopened and of course my self image and cheery smile are not what they were when I went in there. I think "Don't they want customers?" sometimes a known customer comes in a while later and they are all chummy while I brouse on my own.
That's terrible. I've been so lucky and have had great service. Not sure where you are, but I'm in the Midwest.

I went to one shop that I would love to be more familiar with over the weekend. It was just my style. However, they were so busy (and seemingly friendly with everyone), I couldn't get near the register to buy a pattern, let alone work through any fabrics. They had a huge area in the back (classroom) with skylights and floor to ceiling windows where folks were puling bolts and bolts of fabric to be paired and cut. So, I didn't get too much service, but I didn't mind - great atmosphere and since I only work part-time I will go back during the week when it is less busy. I left there thinking - you'd never know the economy was in trouble if you walked into that shop.

Rose
Old 08-11-2011, 05:41 AM

I buy a lot of fabric here on the board. I like the prices and the quality of fabric I have been getting. I did buy the fabric for a whole quilt at the LQS a couple of weeks ago. But it was brushed cotton and I couldn't get it any place else. I think the prices were the old ones. Can't remember now.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:37 AM

Here in Canada our material can be $19.00 a meter.unless its on sale. I usually look for sale items. fyi a metre is 39 inches
Old 08-11-2011, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by knitpick
Here in Canada our material can be $19.00 a meter.unless its on sale. I usually look for sale items. fyi a metre is 39 inches
Can you order from US companies for our lower prices???
Old 08-12-2011, 05:31 AM

Yes lately I have been going in to my stash as well and have only got to purchase maybe one piece at the most for the quilts I make. But eventually I'll have to shop again and I like bargains. Here in southern California (Orange County)...M&L fabrics is the best choice and price. But then if I really want to make a day of it I can go up to the fabric district in downtown LA.