Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
I consider myself a quilter not a sewing fix-it-all! >

I consider myself a quilter not a sewing fix-it-all!

I consider myself a quilter not a sewing fix-it-all!

Old 08-12-2011, 09:58 AM

No we aren't looking at it wrong. My charity consists of making doll and quilts for sick children at a local hospital, quilts for the wounded soldiers, giving to my local church, organizations that help those in need, setting up food drives for the local food pantry.

I was not put on this earth to do things that the other person is perfectly capable of doing by themselves. I work a full time job and have a life that does not include mending anyone's problems. Ever.

Good for you to have the time and desire to help others.
Old 08-12-2011, 11:01 AM

This happened to me years ago. MY "friend" brought everything to me to fix. I asked her one day what would she do if I weren't there for her, she said"Oh I'd just find someone else." With that answer, I just replied "well, I think it's time for you to find that someone" It fixed the problem.
Old 08-12-2011, 11:19 AM

Been there and done that. Have found I can be too busy and not feel guilty. Have learned to say- anyone can learn to sew the local tech school offers courses at all levels and times to accommidate people. Even the local sewing shops hold classes. If it's something you need now bring it over and I will teach you how between the other things I'm doing. Also have said-one reason I don't tell many people I sew is they seem to think I'm a free sewing service. I also let them know my sewing is limited and specialized. Give her a started kit of sewing stuff and tell her you'll help her get started so she can enjoy sewing also as well as not have to worry about when you might actually have time amid all you already have to do. Not long ago my husband made a deal that included throwing in my services to hem 2 pairs of pants. It turned into 8 pair and the woman failed to tell me one leg was shorter then the other- last time for that. I also told our son who was just notified he had to pick up a uniform for the high school marching band that I would fit his and a close friend but the others would have to take it to local taliors. Just like our sewing machine refurbishing- We will under certain circumstances repair a machine for someone but we are not in that business full time and do not wish to take business from our local shops.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:10 PM
Power Poster

Tabby, you are not mean at all! You are simply making a decision how to use YOUR TIME and you're the only one who can do that.
I'll bet a hundred fat quarters you don't have a mean bone in your body :thumbup:
Old 08-12-2011, 12:11 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by IdahoSandy
You are looking at the the wrong way. We were put on this earth to help one another. You have this wonderful sewing skill. Others have none. I would be glad and happy if someone ask me for help fixing these things. I call it charity. Doing good for another.

IdahoSandy
We are put on earth to help people who CAN'T help themselves, not people who are perfectly capable of doing things. I don't see your logic at all, sorry!
Old 08-12-2011, 12:23 PM

Living in a Sr. housing complex, one would think that these women (65-95 yrs. old) would have a sewing machine, or have used one in their past life. Not so. Some like to think they can't sew on a button, much less sew up a seam or shorten slacks. I sew, quilts that is, most of the time, and they know it. I get a bit tired of hearing "Marge, would you shorten these, sew up this seam? etc. etc. etc." I know what you mean and it does make one blow smoke. I now make excuses of some sort and believe the problem is getting solved. Their taking the hint. I hope. Good luck.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by tabsmonsters
I am in a pickle. This young wife whose husband works with mine found out that I sew and in the last several months has brought me sofa pillows that popped a seam, a stuffed animal that popped a seam and the other day my hubby brought home a blanket that she needed the binding sewn back on. When I returned it to her this morning, she mentioned another project she needs fixed. Its a simple project, sewing a bow back onto a costume but her excuse was she didn't have needle and thread. I am just beyond irritated that she seems to think that because I have a sewing machine and I know how to fix these things, she can bring me all sorts of projects. I was still fuming this afternoon and bought a cheap sewing kit to give to her the next time I see her and I plan on SHOWING her how to sew that bow on. It really isn't that difficult. I guess I have just been feeling used and I don't know how to tactfully deter her from using me as her personal seamstress or sewing fix-it-all. Thanks for letting me vent!
Honestly, non sewers often just do not understand how much we hate mending things!

Do all that - sewing kit etc and when you give it to her, gripe about a "ficticious" friend that does not "understand
that you are not running an alterations business"!
and perhaps make a quilted mug rug, placemat, or little simple (coloring book style) flower wall hanging, to bring her and give to her, explaining that is what you really do! ....and maybe offer her a discount on just ONE baby quilt.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
Originally Posted by IdahoSandy
You are looking at the the wrong way. We were put on this earth to help one another. You have this wonderful sewing skill. Others have none. I would be glad and happy if someone ask me for help fixing these things. I call it charity. Doing good for another.

IdahoSandy
We are put on earth to help people who CAN'T help themselves, not people who are perfectly capable of doing things. I don't see your logic at all, sorry!
I sort of lie with a perfectly straight face, and say:
"I make art quilts! like paintings made of cloth! - I have absolutely no idea how to do that!"
- and they have to find someone who does alterations for a living....
Old 08-12-2011, 01:16 PM

Hey Everybody !
I have a pair of pants that I used strips from a roll of wonder under that I ironed on them to make a hem, more than 10 years ago and they have been washed and dried almost weekly since then, and they are still stuck fast!

Everybody can Iron!
PS I use a wet paper towel as a steamer "cloth" !

Give them a yard or so, and instructions copied on a copier!
Old 08-12-2011, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by bebe
give her a price for repair of item that is unreasonable and that will also probably keep her off your back

$10 to sew a seam closed
$5 for a button anc such

just a thought
I tried this approach. Didn't work for me, but ended up working to my advantage. The people who asked me to do repairs were actually willing to pay!! One guy, after I had hemmed a couple of pairs of jeans for nothing, brought me more for hemming, and one pair with a broken zipper. I had run out of the gold/orange thread I use for jeans -- he volunteered to go out and get some since I was making dinner. Once he saw how much the thread and the zipper cost, he gladly paid me from that point forward. His comment? "why didn't you tell me that costs you money?" DUH!!! So, I've developed a bit of a part time job, and my customers know that the turn around time depends on my work schedule from my "real" job. If they need it sooner, they bring it to a professional. When it comes to my time, I am not at all shy about charging for it.