Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
I consider myself a quilter not a sewing fix-it-all! >

I consider myself a quilter not a sewing fix-it-all!

I consider myself a quilter not a sewing fix-it-all!

Old 08-12-2011, 02:57 PM

I know how you feel. Just because I know how to hem a pair of pants doesn't mean I enjoy it. One time a neighbor brought a pair of dress pants to be hemmed 1 hour before he needed to wear them and then worried that I wasn't doing it fast enough. really!!!!
Old 08-12-2011, 03:09 PM

i couldn't say no and did a couple of things but when they started to bring over their DH pants and ect I just took for over 6 months before they got it back with each time they asked about it I told them I just didn't have time.(When I did finally give them back he had out grown them LOL and I was never asked again.
So what would happen if you just took a long time in getting it back to her instead of being so prompt?? maybe she will figure out you have more things that you do besides being at her beck and call?
Old 08-12-2011, 03:12 PM

well, if you want to be passive/aggresive, just accept her projects but don't fix them. just hang on to them. some day she will ask about them and you can then say, "sorry, i don't have time" and give them back. now, that would be wrong, but effective.

the best is probably what you suggest. give her a small sewing kit and show her how to use it. good for you.
Old 08-12-2011, 04:03 PM

Asking a quilter to do mending is like asking Picaso to paint your garage!
Old 08-12-2011, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by tabsmonsters
Originally Posted by LindaM
Showing her how to sew may be a wonderful opportunity to establish a friendship.

You also could gently suggest that you can't do her projects - that cuts into your valuable 'quilt therapy' time :)
The problem is I really have no desire to be her friend. We really have nothing in common besides the fact we are both married to Marines. I just don't want to hurt her feelings or cause stress for my husband at work.

Thank you for all the replies!
If you're sure you don't want to be friends, just hand her a bill with the completed repair. Charge A LOT. Your time is worth at least $50 per hour, billed in one hour increments with a one hour minimum.

LoriAnn
Old 08-12-2011, 05:44 PM

I would just say the same thing mentioned earlier in the post - "I don't do repairs or hemming. I just quilt." And, QUIT doing the sewing. That was your first mistake. :)
Old 08-12-2011, 05:56 PM

[/quote]

Really! I don't anymore, but I used to make some of my own clothes and I STILL didn't like to do repairs on my clothing. :) And it is dreadful how long something will sit in my closet because it needs a button or a hem.[/quote]
Can I tell you about the pile of FIX its that have to be washed AGAIN because the cats have been napping in them?

Would you ask Picasso to paint your garage? Why would you ask a quilter to sew a hem?

I do them for my MIL only, because her hands are bad ( am probably going to be making a bunch of things for her with the yo yos she's made because she cant sew them together).

first, CHARGE. second a sewing kit... good luck!
Old 08-12-2011, 06:31 PM

give her 1 each nice white, grey, and black thread and pkg of needles and a note that reads: when you figure out how to use these I'll teach you to quilt! sharet
Old 08-12-2011, 06:32 PM

Good for you for thinking of the sewing kit! Give her the line about giving a man a fish and feeding him for a day versus teaching him how to fish and he can feed himself for a lifetime! In the meantime, I`d come up with a price list showing my charges for random repairs (if you want to get in to doing repairs).

Years ago I had a neighbour who went from asking for help with little things to altering a wardrobe. I simply put the wardrobe items aside and when she asked, I said that I had other things that had to be done first. She got the point. I would have been glad to help her learn ... but not to be her life-long seamstress.
Old 08-12-2011, 06:37 PM

A lady from our church asked me to hem her jeans. I gave her the name of my seamstress and told her that she does a real good job. She never asked me again.