Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How good are you at THROWING AWAY???? >

How good are you at THROWING AWAY????

How good are you at THROWING AWAY????

Old 08-13-2011, 03:06 AM

I try not to waste, but having said that, I am about to start a scrappy for Christmas, with all the odds & sods.
Old 08-13-2011, 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by Beachbound
Seriously, how good are you about throwing away those strips, orphan blocks, scraps, crumbs, etc? I usually carefully put everything in bins and about once a year decide to try to use some of it up. Right now I am making those mug rugs and I can't tell if my stash is getting smaller. About now I feel like the guy who tries to finish the internet...it just isn't going to happen! :lol: So...do you throw this stuff away, do you keep it until you use, do you close the door & don't worry about using it?

I'm not good about getting rid of stuff at all.
Old 08-13-2011, 05:24 AM

I throw away a lot! All over the house, not just in my sewing room. I am anti-clutter so get rid of stuff often to keep it under control. I love to get rid of things we don't need, but my DH hates it. If it was up to him, we would live like hoarders! :roll:
Old 08-13-2011, 07:05 AM

I never get rid of anything that I think I might be able to use in the next 100 years,
but there are material that I know I will never use and those I take to the Thrift Store and what they can't sell/give away they sell to a place that makes them into rags. So none of it goes to waste.
I also give the scraps from my serger cuts off, to the Thrift Store for their rag bag.
Old 08-13-2011, 07:14 AM

I've been throwing out, but now I am rethinking this because I want to do a crazy quilt from scraps since they are small and different sizes :)
Old 08-13-2011, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by joyceinoh
I never get rid of anything that I think I might be able to use in the next 100 years,
but there are material that I know I will never use and those I take to the Thrift Store and what they can't sell/give away they sell to a place that makes them into rags. So none of it goes to waste.
I also give the scraps from my serger cuts off, to the Thrift Store for their rag bag.
If I took fabric to the thrift store, I'd probably buy it back next week.
Old 08-13-2011, 11:34 PM

Throwing away? No way, if I can't use it I find someone who can. has to be totally unuseable for me to throw away
Old 08-14-2011, 01:05 AM

Buying new fabric is out of the question right now. Yesterday I pieced for hours out of the scrap bin and loved every minute. So happy I kept that stuff.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie
Originally Posted by joyceinoh
If I took fabric to the thrift store, I'd probably buy it back next week.
Yes I have all the time I donate to a local small business variety, thrift new and used, then buy it back later, helps keep their doors open and my sewing room cleaner!
Old 08-17-2011, 05:42 PM

I just took a load to a Goodwill drop off. Most of it is old, ugly, not good quilt material. The truck is a test to see if they get enough donations to open a store and I sure would like a store in this town as it is real close to me.