Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do I use this template to FMQ? >

How do I use this template to FMQ?

How do I use this template to FMQ?

Old 08-13-2011, 12:48 PM

All of these ideas are great! As a beginning quilter I'm amazed at the expertise that all the quilters have, and share on this forum. It's a matter of finding the right technique, and what works for you. Thanks!
Old 08-13-2011, 01:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by QM
I think what she meant was that if you cut it out, you can then sew around the OUTSIDE of the pattern. I have done this with my own patterns, but I prefer to mark it on freezer paper, cut THAT out and iron it in place. You won't be unhappy if you nick the freezer paper with your needle, your pattern is still intact,
Thats what I thought too,,,
Old 08-13-2011, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by spinnergs
I would lay several layers of freezer paper (stapled together) over the template and trace the lines, then cut out. Use the center section as the template. Iron the freezer paper template on the quilt and FMQ around it. You can peel it off and use it again and again.
Brilliant! Why can't I ever think of these things. I have been tracing on press n seal and then sewing over the lines. It works well but I have to trace each time. This way you wouldn't have to do that so often. Thanks! Ann in TN
Old 08-13-2011, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by carolaug
has anyone had problems washing out washable markers or pens?
Some marking pens are better than others, I am not sure of any brand you use in the US, the ones a little more expensive work the best, some "bleed" into the batting, but if you use plenty of water on a cloth or laundering the marks do come out, it may take a couple of goes, try and use a soluble marking pen with a fine tip (some also fade out after a few hours) this information is usually on the packaging the pen comes with, never iron your block before you have removed the marks otherwise the hot iron makes the mark permanent.
Old 08-13-2011, 02:11 PM

Thanks so much for posting this question. I'm learning so many great tips that I never knew. Maybe I can now go into my template stash and use them more. Never tried any with the fmq-ing, just for handquilting.
Old 08-13-2011, 03:26 PM

The tissue paper idea sounds good to me.
Old 08-13-2011, 03:34 PM

I have used the washable pens. I love these kinds. Its so easy..But Never cut them apart. you can use it over and over again. You can use corn startch too, fill some cheese cloth with corn startch and tap along the lines. I have just cut some chalk into smaller pieces to fit into the lines. Have fun. aloha blossom
Old 08-13-2011, 03:57 PM

what a beautiful stencil pattern.....I must look for similiar ones for fall. I have not tried freehand FMQ yet, I can't even draw a straight line.........let lone nice FMQ....
Old 08-13-2011, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by lindasidlow
Your DH is right. I cant imagine someone saying to cut them out! I dont think I would be asking her anymore questions!
I agree with this post. The little junctures hold it all together.
Old 08-13-2011, 04:51 PM

I have never understood why they call them pounce pads.
You don't pounce them on you stencil. You slide them across your stencil like you would eraser on a chalk board.
They have iron off ones and wash away also. The iron off
stay better on your quilt and then just use and iron to take it off. You can also buy chalk that looks like a pencil.

It sure doesn't make sence why she tell you that. I would think she would know better working in a quilt shop. Maybe she miss understood what you wanted for.