Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have you ever cut yourself with a rotary cutter?? >

Have you ever cut yourself with a rotary cutter??

Have you ever cut yourself with a rotary cutter??

Old 08-14-2011, 03:49 AM

yes - once. The tip of my thum - was sewing with friends and demanded a bandaid as they were ooohhhing etc cos of the blood LOL kept on cutting when bandaid applied
Old 08-14-2011, 03:57 AM

Glad to hear you're OK. The blades on my cutters retract when there is no pressure on them, which makes them less dangerous. However, I am always conscious that this could happen.A friend made the mistake of using a thin rule and the blade jumped over it too easily.
All the best for your future safety in your projects.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingme
No. I am extra careful when cutting because I am paranoid about getting cut with that sharp blade!
Me, too! I don't always remember to click it closed between cuttings, but I keep the cutter on a piece of foam padding with mild adhesive on the back. This way the cutter has its own space and I don't have to hear the noise it makes on the table putting it down.
Get this: this foam I'm talking about is the padding used when I get a mammogram. Each person is given a fresh foam padding. I took mine home....something told me I could use it for something. The technician game me some of the unused ones the hospital couldn't use. These pads are so handy! Always thinking about sewing needs, even when I was having my mammograms!
Old 08-14-2011, 04:30 AM

Yes and it took me so long to get back into cutting that my husband even cut the tips out of a pair of gloves for me because I was so scared of the blad. I just changed the blade and was cutting 2.5" strips when I bought the blade up from making the last cut somewhow it went across my topknockle and my finger and blood ws everywhere. We could not stop the bleeding so I had to go to the er and he put 4 stitches in it. He said it was not big but deep. And really it was very hard to keep the stitches in over the knockle they kept coming undone but it took awhile to heel but is better now and I still cut with fingerless gloves...
Old 08-14-2011, 04:41 AM

I have cut myself more times than I would like to admit to. All of them have been minor thank God. I have accidently trimmed my fingernails several times. I have dropped my cutter a lot of times and I am always barefoot. I instinctively jump out of the way. I just got a new Olfa cutter that closes automaticly I need all of my toes.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:43 AM

I haven't yet but the day is coming. Nicked myself with my sewing machine. Didn't sew for a week. Scared to death of pain and blood BUT used to be an EMT-I. Go figure!
Old 08-14-2011, 04:44 AM

several times--OUCH :cry:
Old 08-14-2011, 04:50 AM

I sliced off the side of my left index finger right to the mail. Went to ER to have it reattached. Worst part was I couldn't quilt for almost two weeks. Now I use a cutting guard.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:50 AM

YES!!! It cured me of cutting fabric while I was barefoot. I was zipping right along cutting my fabric, not paying too much attention as I also talked to my husband. I was using my hands to express a certain point and dropped the rotary cutter right onto my foot. I did head to the ER but only needed a few butterfly bandages on it. Luckily, no permanent damage done. I no longer use any sharp object while I'm barefoot!
Old 08-14-2011, 04:54 AM

Me too. I cut the tip of my pointer finger. Had to go to er. They used that super glue stuff since it was a flap. Doctor was an idiot, he made me do the gluing. Sharp blade so it really didn't hurt...the first day :). Bled like ctazy though. Learned not to cut when I'm tired.