Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Every Quilt Doesn't Have to be a Masterpiece >

Every Quilt Doesn't Have to be a Masterpiece

Every Quilt Doesn't Have to be a Masterpiece

Old 08-14-2011, 07:24 AM

You said it, sister!

When I was younger I dreamed of going to art school, too; but I am practical, and I knew there were a million other artists out there with even more talent; and I didn't want to be a starving artist.
I've been happy trying my hand at almost any craft out there; and am totally addicted to quilting.
As you say, life gets in the way. The economy and certain unfortunate circumstances have kept me on a limited craft budget, but I can still manage to complete the occasional project.
I hope to see more of your posts on this board -- I like your attitude!
Old 08-14-2011, 07:49 AM

thanks for the post I am just learning quilting alto I am a Sr. citizen and have been checking a lot of the viedos and quilting on line and have almost thought of giving it up because I do not think I will every sew a perfect 1/4 inch seam have crocheted for years like it too but have decide to try to make 3 quits for my grown children for xmas so glad to ear I am not the only one who feels ths way so am going to still try to learn all i can but will use common sence and do it the best way i can and when we do that if not perfect will be as near as possible for us
Old 08-14-2011, 12:34 PM

Love this web site. I've learned so much from all you gals. Just hang in there and enjoy what you are doing. Enjoy!!!
Old 08-14-2011, 12:58 PM

your very words encompass the reason i love this board. all the board members encourage each other to do what looks/feels best for them. all posted photos receive compliments about the time invested in and significance of the piece. i love it when i read a post that expresses disappointment with an "error," and the replies remind the person who posted that nothing is perfect, errors put our unique touch on a piece, and we should relax and enjoy what we do. other people's expectations should not impact our creativity and skills.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:26 PM

People quilt for different reasons - just like people play sports for different reasons. Some of us are Olympians and some of us just want to get in a little relaxing exercise on the weekends. :o)

There is a place for each of us. Enjoy your place in the quilt world.
Old 08-21-2011, 06:27 AM

I quilt to please myself. Sometimes I do harder things, sometimes I do simple things. Sometimes it is for a quilt, sometimes it is for therapy. Sometimes I know something has not really gone right, but I just want to FINISH it to get it off my list.... Right now I am trying to do something with a project that is just that.... Did not work out exactly as I had planned, but I will try to finish it into something.... Sometimes I do something just because it it out of my comfort zone, different, or a technique I am not great at.... Sometimes I just want to do a lasagna or a turning twenty. Aren't we all lucky that we have something like this that we love to do and a group of wonderful people to share it with!
Old 08-22-2011, 09:53 AM

Like your attitude!!
Old 08-22-2011, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by MissQuilter
I quilt to please myself. Sometimes I do harder things, sometimes I do simple things. Sometimes it is for a quilt, sometimes it is for therapy. Sometimes I know something has not really gone right, but I just want to FINISH it to get it off my list.... Right now I am trying to do something with a project that is just that.... Did not work out exactly as I had planned, but I will try to finish it into something.... Sometimes I do something just because it it out of my comfort zone, different, or a technique I am not great at.... Sometimes I just want to do a lasagna or a turning twenty. Aren't we all lucky that we have something like this that we love to do and a group of wonderful people to share it with!
yes we are

:P :P
Old 08-23-2011, 07:42 AM

sorry to say but there are people that always have to nit pick about things on your quilting gift to them. sad that they feel so perfect that they see the faults of others.
Venting helps but that nit picker will never get another sewing gift from me. my children and grand babies love them, so they get the soul warming gifts..
I will keep on quilting it is such a rewarding peaceful hobbie for me. If you enjoy it do it..
Old 09-20-2011, 09:50 AM

I was at a quilt show in Tombstone, AZ about 3 years ago and one of the ladies said to me that if you can't see it from atop a running horse, it doesn't matter. I am way older than you but I was still at the stage where corners mattered and it better be darn perfect. Well, now 3 years down the road, I see the wisdom in that quilter from Tombstone.