Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do I use this template to FMQ? >

How do I use this template to FMQ?

How do I use this template to FMQ?

Old 08-13-2011, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by QM
I think what she meant was that if you cut it out, you can then sew around the OUTSIDE of the pattern. I have done this with my own patterns, but I prefer to mark it on freezer paper, cut THAT out and iron it in place. You won't be unhappy if you nick the freezer paper with your needle, your pattern is still intact,
That's a great tip - will be bookmarking ot
Old 08-13-2011, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Summer Spice
QM , I like this idea, thanks.
Me too QM, i really want to try it.
Old 08-13-2011, 05:06 PM

I was just at my local quilt shop and now you can purchase a pen that you can write on your fabric, it comes in a variety of colors - Black is the color I have, I wrote my name a couple of times on the attached picture on white cotton, then ironed the second name and it disappeared without a trace.

You might want to ask your local quilt shop if they can get you one of these - it was $3 so very inexpensive, made by PILOT and called FRI X ION ball and it also says remove by friction - but the iron worked well for me, as you can see by the pictures

Also on one end of the pen there is like an eraser, so you could erase it if you were not close to your iron.

This pen would work really well for those type of templates.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-241384.jpe
Views:	62
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	241390   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-241386.jpe
Views:	66
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	241392  
Old 08-13-2011, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Janette
I use these templates all the time. I assume you're going to use this template more than once on your quilt. Get some Golden Threads paper, sold by the roll at your LQS. Draw the design on one piece of the paper then use your pen or pencil to fill in the broken spaces so you have the full design. Count out how many times you will use this design on your quilt. Stack up enough pieces of paper for the design. If you will use it 10 times, cut out 9 pieces. Stack them up, design on top. Staple or pin around the edges to stabilize. On your machine, use a size 16 needle, drop the feed dogs, remove thread and bobbin. Stitch around the design, thereby punching holes along the design. (You can stack up to 14-15 sheets at one time.) When finished, undo the sheets and place them on the areas of your quilt where you have planned this design. Pin sufficiently to hold the paper in place. Change your needle back down to 12 or 14, thread your machine and start stitching along the design lines you have punched in the paper (feed dogs still down). Remember to start with one stitch to pull up your bottom thread to the top, do a few tiny stitches then start your regular free motion stitches until you get back to your starting point. Once finished, simply tear off the paper. As it's slightly heavier than tissue paper it tears very easily. I keep a pair of tweezers for corners. This is also a great way to do borders. I would suggest you try a sample piece first and see how easy it is.
Thank you! This is very clear and a great idea.
Old 08-13-2011, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by carolaug
I bought this template and the woman told me at the FMG shop that i would have to cut out the center marks...ok...so I bought it. My husband said if I do that the template will fall apart...Yikes...has anyone used these to FMG with there machines?
Yes but DON'T cut anything out on it. I use these a lot. I either use the disappearing ink pens preferrably purple or chalk. I just used chalk on a black quilt, it will most likely need to be washed afterwards when using the chalk. DO NOT use a colored quilting pencil even if it says it will wash out ASK me how I know. I love using these stencils, not having a long arm makes it so easy to do my quilting on my Bernina.
Old 08-14-2011, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Xstitshmom
I trace onto tissue paper then pin it on and then sew on the lines. Then I just tear it away.
Brilliant! Just brilliant! Thank you.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:31 PM

I use these stencils quite a bit. I have had problems with washable pens and even a lead pencil so I use a sharp sliver of soap to draw in the stencil. The bridges are very short so you won't have a problem continuing your stitching line. Sometimes I use a yellow chalk marker on light areas.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:51 AM

I have used the new gel pens which are heat sensitive. After you do the quilting just run your iron over it and the lines disappear. It works great. I don't know why anyone would tell you to cut the template either. that doesn't make much sense.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:21 AM

Is it easy to sew on the traced lines? I have tons of patterns but am afraid to try this? :roll: :oops:
Old 08-15-2011, 12:37 PM

I tested those new gel pens and the following is what I learned today......

The writing/markings will return if your quilt gets cold, even though you have ironed it away - I just washed and dried mine to see if the writing disappeared - then I placed it in the freezer after washing it - and yes the writing/markings disappeared and did not show up when the quilt was put into the freezer after it had been washed and dried.

I haven't tried Batiks to see if it retains the gel pen color.