Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat)  Everyone is Welcome! >

Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat) Everyone is Welcome!

Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat) Everyone is Welcome!

Old 08-14-2011, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by lovelyl
Originally Posted by judyjudyjudy
Well -- today I used my FW for the first time to do a block-of-the-month. It's a challenge to control the speed; I am using my heel on the pedal. It wants to jump from slow to fast, so am trying to find the sweet spot. I'm working with 2.5" pieces, chain stitching, and I don't have a rhythm in pulling out the pins. I'm using my hand on the wheel to maintain a speed -- and it brings back so many memories; I always used to have my right hand on the wheel. The process of sewing is slower than using my Viking -- but I love the slowness.
Amazing how light affects color in photos. The block on the machine is the same block in 2nd photo. The colors are true in photo #2.
I sew barefoot and use my big toe! :lol: :lol: :lol:
until i got my viking which has a generous foot pedal, i always sewed without shoes.
I am going to flip that pedal around, heel down, and use my bare big toe. How much fun! I'll find a sweet spot somewhere.
Thanks to all for your suggestions.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:03 PM

someone mentioned the extension table. One of the ladies in my sewing group has one, it is black with the gold decal carved into the lucite and is made to fold in half and then open. Fits around the drop down of the 221. I have seen them on ebay but don't have the $100. plus for one.

BTW I LOVE piecing on "Lizzie"!
Old 08-14-2011, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by franc36
Because I'm left handed, I have trouble threading the needle on the FW, but once I get the needle threaded, it is worth all the effort. My FW sews like a dream!
Franc, just a thought, on your last pass to thread the FW turn it backwards to you and that will be your left and you will get a better view at the neddle. My mom and little sister were left-handed, but they used there right-hand for a lot of things in sewing. My little sister learn to knit from a right handed person. Did you learn to write backwards?
Old 08-14-2011, 07:55 PM

ok so here are the pictures of my baby - it just took me a while between all the work I have been doing and the charity stuff laid out in my studio ahhh any way here is my machine in front of her case and close up...

Originally Posted by Digitizingqueen
I got one about 6 months ago - story is my mom has one she got at a yard sale in the early to mid 60's think she has told me she spent $25 on it and I learned how to sew on it and when I was pregnant with my first - I sewed all of her baby things on it and made a flannel Moses basket and matching blanket with it. Well my Dad an I have had this gag for years that i would get it but he will take it out and play with it and then he doesn't want to give it up - kind of a family joke - any way my mom and I decided to go to the junior league thrift store ...

well we are looking around and she comes over and says go back and look on that shelf back there and see if it is one... I knew exactly what she meant - $25 dollars later I had a feather weight 221 no case but pluged it in and it worked great, paid the local feather weight guy at a show to go over it for me and we bought an after market case which looks very close to the orginal and a coupel of weeks ago we went by his booth at another show and he had all the feet so I have a perfectly working feather weight that I pretty much got fr a steal now my dad is happy cause I quit bugging him Not really 8-)
case accessories and all
[ATTACH=CONFIG]242014[/ATTACH]

close up - aint she a bute!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]242015[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-242008.jpe
Views:	123
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	242014   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-242009.jpe
Views:	127
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	242015  
Old 08-14-2011, 07:59 PM

Yes! that she is! :thumbup:
Old 08-14-2011, 08:02 PM

Wow that is a really pretty cover - love the design just had to hunt it down want to do something with it! wont do a cover since i never leave mine set up - but maybe something for her case

Originally Posted by Anne
Originally Posted by redpurselady
You can replace the latches - go to

http://www.221parts.com/latch.htm

Anne your cover is very nice. Did you do the embroidery yourself?
Thank you, I did do my design on the embroidery machine. I got my featherweight design from Perfect Little Stitches, quilted my fabric before I cut out my cover, made up my pattern as I constructed it. It was a fun project. I have attached another picture so you can see a closer view of the design, I think it stitched out well. I apoligize if this is is a duplicate post. Anne
Old 08-15-2011, 04:36 AM

what a wonderful story. your and your dad can have "dueling featherweights."
Old 08-15-2011, 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by VickyS
judyjudyjudy,
Take a look at some of the other Featherweight blogs on the board. I think it was Billy (lostn51) who mentioned we need to put the heel down and use the ball of the foot to control the foot pedal. It makes speed control a lot easier to deal with.

I've been using my featherweight for about 25 years now and done it both ways. The heel down using the ball is much easier on your calves and on your foot.

Try it, you'll like it!
I tried it, and I like it. Controlling speed is easy as can be. Chain stitched about 40 five" squares for practice -- and I found the sweet spot. When I got the FW, I read all the pages in the FW Club thread -- and somewhere read a comment about using heel to control. The foot pedal seems to be designed that way. I should have thought to switch it myself. I have an overlock machine that has a touchy foot pedal, and I have to use it "backwards" for control.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:32 AM

Billy was the one that enlightened me regarding the foot control and how it was designed for using your heel to control the speed button. I had been using mine like the regular foot pedals, using the front of my foot or toes and I would have to chase my controller all over the floor.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:04 AM

my pedal doesn't move around when using the ball of my foot to control. perhaps my carpet density has something to do with it. good news is that we each have found a way to control the pedal. :)