Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011 >

[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011

[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011

Old 08-15-2011, 08:00 AM
mim

congratulations!! a beautiful quilt and I like the way you put the blocks to make a TATW design
Old 08-15-2011, 08:16 AM

Lesley, I am so thrilled for you, I bet your heart was beating fast when you went to see. That sewing machine ought to be put on a huge pedestal for everyone to see forever. And a rosette - I have ALWAYS wanted one of those!! Well done! Does it go onto another level or was that the height?
Old 08-15-2011, 10:29 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by LindaC
well done Lesley. You have some lovely colours in your quilt. Do you quilt on an ordinary sewing machine or do you have a longarm?
LindaC in Dublin
My Jane is hand quilted, but I bought an HQ Sweet Sixteen Sit down last November, so I am now thoroughly spoiled with all that space in the harp, whilst still being able to sit down.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:36 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sarahelloyd
Lesley, I am so thrilled for you, I bet your heart was beating fast when you went to see. That sewing machine ought to be put on a huge pedestal for everyone to see forever. And a rosette - I have ALWAYS wanted one of those!! Well done! Does it go onto another level or was that the height?
Me too - the rosette was the icing on the cake - I have seen so many here on the board and I never thought I would get one. The show I entered in I understand is the biggest in Ireland (I won with Jane about a fortnight ago at a smaller local one, but I only got a small, postcard sized winners card for that). But these are actually agricultural shows, with craft sections in them - anything from cakes, flower arranging, knitting, crochet, art, photography etc. I suspect those were added over the years to give the farmer's wives something to do whilst their DH's were busy keeping an eye on the cattle and sheep classes.

There are one or two quilting ones I might be able to enter if I can get to them - I might try one of those if I can find out where they are. It's probably too late this year now.
Old 08-15-2011, 01:02 PM

Congratulations Lesley! That was well deserved- your Jane is beautiful, and an inspiration to the rest of us to keep sewing away to get our's done! Your prizes will surely add to the interesting history of your Jane. I'm going to get back to mine now~Happy Sewing!
Old 08-15-2011, 03:54 PM

I highly recommend that you all quilt your jane the way lacelady has suggested. i have picked the hard way. so, don't you all.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:31 PM

Congraulations Lesley!! What a beautiful quilt. Did you quilt each block as you went along or did you wait until the entire quilt was finished.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:32 PM

Here is a pic of my JJ (Jane's Journey) back in October when I was basting it for hand quilting. I'm about half done quilting the center blocks, then the heat rose too high for quilting, so I'm waiting for much cooler weather.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-242568.jpe
Views:	132
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	242574  
Old 08-16-2011, 01:03 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Fabric Galore
Congraulations Lesley!! What a beautiful quilt. Did you quilt each block as you went along or did you wait until the entire quilt was finished.
Here is some info re quilting:
rhueluna wrote:
So, if you quilted each block as you went along, how does it look on the back? Just curious. I am doing mine in 3rds. I wonder if Jane Stickle did hers that way too. Then how did you add the scallops on the edges? I don't recall you saying you did them that way, but another person told me you did. Interesting.

You can find out how I quilted each block as I went along here:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-28063-214.htm
Then I posted a pic of the back here:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-28063-266.htm

Re the scallops, I waited until I had a completed top, all quilted just through the batting, then I added all the strips of scallops that are individual pieces (as per the software), and backed them with batting. Finally I basted on the backing, quilted in the ditch around all the blocks and my pieced triangles, and quilted through all the layers on the scallops, before binding. Not a conventional way, but I had intended originally to quilt in the ditch by machine, as it was going to be all straight lines. In the end, I thought it was worth the extra effort to do all that by hand so that the whole thing was hand quilted. Going round the blocks was the hardest part for me, as it was the most boring. Lesley
Old 08-16-2011, 01:04 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by QuiltswithConvicts
Here is a pic of my JJ (Jane's Journey) back in October when I was basting it for hand quilting. I'm about half done quilting the center blocks, then the heat rose too high for quilting, so I'm waiting for much cooler weather.
Kathy it looks brilliant - I hope it cools down for you soon, so you can get back to it and finish it.