Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat)  Everyone is Welcome! >

Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat) Everyone is Welcome!

Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat) Everyone is Welcome!

Old 08-15-2011, 06:15 AM

Belt question - are the flat belts or the "notched" belts better for the FW? I need a new one!
Old 08-15-2011, 07:27 AM

It is fun - and it is really amazing that my parents are both in great health and my dad and I have the game - I am thankful every day for that...

Originally Posted by judyjudyjudy
what a wonderful story. your and your dad can have "dueling featherweights."
Old 08-15-2011, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by lovelyl
Belt question - are the flat belts or the "notched" belts better for the FW? I need a new one!
i've been wondering the same thing.... eager for a response
Old 08-15-2011, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by lovelyl
i've been wondering the same thing.... eager for a response
I service FWs for others and I order most of my parts from the website listed below.
The featherweight takes the flat belt. You can order them here:

http://www.221parts.com/motor.htm
Old 08-15-2011, 08:27 AM

Just wanted to put on here that I am in the process of making a 105x105 quilt. About 1/3 through the top, my newer Brother machine started having issues...and I didn't have time to open the needle plate to see what's going on. I pulled out my trusty little FW and started sewing on her. Last night I put the borders on it, all still using my FW. Her little motor didn't even get warm!! I was a little worried that she might not take it, but she was a trooper. I love her little scratched and abused self....she's a true work horse!!!
Old 08-15-2011, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by Anne
Ok, so I have shared my story of how I acquired my Featherweight, Darl (short for Darling and nickname for my husband as he was the one who found her for me). I need some suggestions how I might get the "old" smell from my case. It is in very good condition or otherwise I would purchase a new one, but want to try anything and everything I can to rid it of the smell. It is not a musty smell, as I do not think it was ever in a damp environment, but just smells old. I did purchase some aquarium charcoal, and it seems to help a little. Hopeing someone can give a suggestion, I know as old as these machines are, mine can't be the only one that is smelly.
Somebody said that a bar of Safeguard wrapped in a piece of quilt fabric and kept in the case seems to help. You can also leave it open in a hot car for a day or 2(in the trunk).
Sharon W.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by jljack
Just wanted to put on here that I am in the process of making a 105x105 quilt. About 1/3 through the top, my newer Brother machine started having issues...and I didn't have time to open the needle plate to see what's going on. I pulled out my trusty little FW and started sewing on her. Last night I put the borders on it, all still using my FW. Her little motor didn't even get warm!! I was a little worried that she might not take it, but she was a trooper. I love her little scratched and abused self....she's a true work horse!!!
And - they are sooooo cute!!
Old 08-15-2011, 08:30 AM

I do not own a featherweight, but would like one. My sister attends lots of auctions in rural areas (where she lives) and I wondered what information to give her so that she can spy out any that may be available. She recently was able to get a Bernina for $20, so I know they are out there and if it's raining, fewer buyers show up. Besides a photo of a featherweight, what other information should she know? Thanks!
Old 08-15-2011, 08:31 AM

per redpurselady's response, the small silver knob on the big black wheel needs to be turned forward to disengage the needle for bobbin winding. when i got my featherweight, the small silver knob was "stuck" back -- and the repair man i purchased it from used a rubber gripper (like to open tight jar lids) to eventually move the silver knob forward and release the needle from movement. he told me to not "tighten" that silver knob when i changed its position. good luck :)
To loosen the silver knob, hold the handwheel and turn the knob toward you.
You do have to tighten the silver knob, but not overly so or your machine won't sew again after you wind the bobbin.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by quilt addict
Has anyone seen replacement handles for the cases. Mine the leather is all worn off and it is wrapped with electrical tape. I would like to replace it. Maybe just take the handle to the cobbler and see if it can just be recovered.

Also, has anyone taken out the liner and replaced it to get rid of the mildew smell. I know it is caused by the old glue.
You can also get a new case handle from the same website.
I remove the old felt liner and replace with a new one from :

http://www.221parts.com/drip.htm

Sharon W.