cat harness

Old 08-14-2011, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by caspharm
Just go to the pet store and buy a harness with a leash. I have a harness and leash for my cat, since she is deaf and older.

Here is an example: http://www.petsmart.com/product/zoom...ductId=3951263
We have a Pet Smart a few miles from here but they don't carry cat harnesses. I might have to order on-line. Thanks for the lead.
Old 08-14-2011, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by sewellie
Originally Posted by caspharm
Just go to the pet store and buy a harness with a leash. I have a harness and leash for my cat, since she is deaf and older.

Here is an example: http://www.petsmart.com/product/zoom...ductId=3951263
We have a Pet Smart a few miles from here but they don't carry cat harnesses. I might have to order on-line. Thanks for the lead.
Also check Walmart's new site to store web service. I know they have them, and if you pick it up at the store, no postage, but if no store, how much can a cat harness (mostly plastic) weigh?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hamilton-P...n-Red/15388032

I use this one, and boneless cat can't get it off. I only use it in transporting him since he hates to travel. With carrier.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:10 PM

Does anyone know of a pattern that I could use on my cat as a harness. There is something called thundershirt.com where you can purchase one, but it's for a dog and I would like to make one for my cat when we take her camping. It would be made out of a lightweight fabric like flannel or something to that effect.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
It isn't that she's afraid of thunder, it's because I don't want her to wander off when we're camping. My neighbor and I watch each other's animals while we're away and she was taking care of mine the last time (1 month ago) we went camping. Someone came on our property and shot her in the head with a pellet gun. Shattered her jaw on the right side, broke the bottom jaw and lodged in her neck. She is doing very well right now, but I just can't risk letting her roam around this neighborhood anymore. She somehow got through the cat door and went to our bedroom where my neighbor found her laying in a pool of blood and picked her up and took her to the kindest vet in the world.
So you see why I need to find something. I tried a dog harness but she slips out of it. I would like to attach it with velcroe so I could adjust it to her size.
Thanks for listening.
My heart just broke when I read about your cat. I am so glad she is doing well now. I just lost my 17 year old baby Thursday. I used a harness on him that I had gotten from PetSmart. But for future furbabies would love to custom fit one.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:34 PM

Here's a couple of resources.

http://www.dailypuppy.com/articles/h...8-1a6ee9231841

http://www.kittyholster.com/
Old 08-14-2011, 06:20 PM

i made my 10 kitties one out of a pattern from simplicity no 3587 mine are all different sizes and that pattern worked great.Just dont get fooled by the poodle looking models
Old 08-14-2011, 08:21 PM

Please do not rely on a harness on a cat. They can fold themselves up and slip out of anything if they are determined. I had a figure 8 harness I used on one kitty, and he accepted it, but my others would slip out of it like Houdini.
Old 08-14-2011, 09:18 PM

Only harness my girls have never been able to get out of is called a comfort harness. it clips right between the shoulders. I got them in the dog section of Petsmart where the basic harnesses, collars, and leashes are, nothing fancy.

May I suggest if you are taking your kitty camping, you take a hard kennel or puppy playyard. I think it would be less stressful on your kitty to have a safe area than being tied. You could always make one with a little bit of fencing and clip rings.
Old 08-14-2011, 09:24 PM

We found harnesses for our cats at PetSmart.

Anyone who could do such a thing to an innocent animal has a special place reserved for them in hell.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:31 PM

Does anyone know of a pattern that I could use on my cat as a harness. There is something called thundershirt.com where you can purchase one, but it's for a dog and I would like to make one for my cat when we take her camping. It would be made out of a lightweight fabric like flannel or something to that effect.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
It isn't that she's afraid of thunder, it's because I don't want her to wander off when we're camping. My neighbor and I watch each other's animals while we're away and she was taking care of mine the last time (1 month ago) we went camping. Someone came on our property and shot her in the head with a pellet gun. Shattered her jaw on the right side, broke the bottom jaw and lodged in her neck. She is doing very well right now, but I just can't risk letting her roam around this neighborhood anymore. She somehow got through the cat door and went to our bedroom where my neighbor found her laying in a pool of blood and picked her up and took her to the kindest vet in the world.
So you see why I need to find something. I tried a dog harness but she slips out of it. I would like to attach it with velcroe so I could adjust it to her size.
Thanks for listening.
I hope you shot the person who did this.....I would have.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:06 PM

If you search for "cat walking jacket" you will find the fabric harneses for cats. They are for sale but if you buy one you could probably see how it is made. They are oftern available at larger cat shows in your area.