Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has anyone ever wanted to give up quilting? >

Has anyone ever wanted to give up quilting?

Has anyone ever wanted to give up quilting?

Old 08-17-2011, 11:14 AM

I desperately so want to quilt, quilt, quilt! But lately I haven't had any time to do any of it. I wish there was a way of creating more hours. Is my busyiness an excuse or am I really to busy? I really don't know. lynda
Old 08-17-2011, 11:17 AM

give up no, but sometimes i get in the knitting mood and I drop all sewing activities.
go figure.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:20 AM

as much as I want to give up my children! :lol:
Old 08-17-2011, 11:31 AM

My mother hasn't sewn in quilte a while now. She has to get the machine out of a closet, clean off the dining room table, then find a place to cut whatever she needs. She needs more light than she used to (so do I).
She sewed clothes and crafts and quilts. I think for my mom is it is the effort to get ready and her house isn't such that it could change easily.
She's found the computer, and I think that gives her enough!
Old 08-17-2011, 11:43 AM

Two summers ago I thought I was done with quilting. Just lost my interest in it and couldn't see myself going on with it. I even thought of giving my stash away and like your mom I also have a lot. However, when the cooler weather came my interest came back. I do not get as excited as I once did about it and don't buy much fabric anymore but I am still keeping on with it and enjoying it again. I am doing 2 BOM's here and that seems to spike my interests. Maybe your mom is just feeling down. Maybe if she starts with something small she will enjoy it again.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:12 PM

I started quilting in my late teens and quit in my early 20's.
It took a very traumatic event in my life to get me started again. I needed something to occupy my mind and for whatever reason, quilting popped into my head. I've now been at it for 7 years!
Old 08-17-2011, 12:18 PM

i had a period of about 15 yrs where i didnt touch it at all. Last year i got my mojo back and decided to take it up again.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:34 PM

There are times I think about it.Sometimes I get overwhelmed with all the choices, possibilities, gadgets, books, etc. Plus never enough funds to keep it going and I so much love to quilt for charity's or to give to people who lost everything. But I have found it to become harder and harder to do. I have a few projects to go but I only buy enough fabric for a project and then I see some quilts I would love to do then I need to hunt down the fabric. I have very little of the filler or solid fabric and for me to drive about an hour or so it just gets depressing. Then need to get the batting. It's been very challenging the last few months to keep my love for quilting going. I have a few charity quilts to finish up and hoping to make quilts for the family for christmas. When I see peoples stash I am so happy for them. Just wish I had some to. I have a little bit with buying some from lady's here on the board. This board has been a wonderful.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:55 PM

As we get older, its very easy to think we are no longer useful because we can't do things like we used to and the more we convince ourselves we can't the more likely depression can become a problem.
Sometimes its hard to put a finger on one comment but looking over the last few months, has your mother attitude changed about the her personal appearance, getting dressed in the morning and personal hygiene changed any. These things and cleaning out jewelry/personal belongings that were important to the person, can be signs of depression and need to be told to the family doctor.
I don't want to go into alot of details but from personal experience with a neighbor, I wish I had recognized the signs sooner and had told her family. Depression among seniors is a real condition that can be treated but someone has to tell a doctor about what is going on, and a dr. who cares and understands the issues of the elderly. Chris
Old 08-17-2011, 01:09 PM

I not only wanted to - I did. For nearly 30 years. I had to take a job outside of the house and recently retired. I told everyone that I was going to start quilting again. I have.