Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Where do you sew/quilt? >

Where do you sew/quilt?

Where do you sew/quilt?

Old 08-18-2011, 05:26 AM

I sew at the kitchen table, cut on the counter, iron by going to the bedroom upstairs (good exercise) and hand sew in the livingroom. I have my fabric stored in the garage, and pantry. My diningroom holds my works in progress. As a retired person, I am happy being where others are so the extra bedrooms are an office, exercise room and guest sleeping room. Besides when company comes, it is a good excuse to clean up.
Old 08-18-2011, 05:48 AM

Over the 48 years that we've been married (18 years active duty USAF and moving around a LOT), there were some homes we lived in where I had no place to sew so I did none, except for mending. There were other homes we lived in where I could and did make a little area to sew, just as you are planning to do.

When we first moved into this house 30+ years ago, the basement was still just roughed in and, again, I had no place to sew. Yardwork, cooking, cleaning, raising 3 kids and holding down a full time job kept me truly busy, though. Ultimately, we ended up with 3 more bedrooms in the basement; the kids are grown up long ago, so now I have a sewing/cutting/fabric storage room downstairs and a combo. bedroom/sewing room upstairs. If we close off part of the basement in the winter and have the wood burning stove going, it will heat the entire rest of the house very comfortably. My downstairs cutting/sewing room is in the closed-off part and gets pretty frigid, so I make sure I have plenty of projects to work on upstairs.
Old 08-18-2011, 05:48 AM

Our kids are both out of the house now, so my husband has a den and I have a sewing room. However when I start the quilting on a large quilt, I set up 3 6 ft. tables in the basement and move everything down there to finish up.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:08 AM

I am in the basement! cutting table is my kitchen table...
ironing is in the laundry room..
I am set up on an card table.(need to find a better soluation to this.... my stash is in totes... I think there are 4 of them.....
one day there will be a better soluation!
Old 08-18-2011, 06:17 AM

I sew all over the place! :) Finished basement, dining room, kitchen, guest room... it depends on my needs and what's going on in the rest of the house.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:24 AM

When I got married to my DH he built a new building for my son and me. It is big enough to hold our exercize equipment(as much as the YMCA) and my sewing business in the other half. Lucky me!!!! Aneokle
Old 08-18-2011, 06:25 AM

Since I never have any overnight guests, I changed the "guest" room into my quilting room. Prior to that I had all my "tools" in a roller cart that would travel with me from my kitchen (machine on counter top) to the television room (hoop for hand quilting). When I finished with the machine I would put my blocks into a drawer in the roller cart and put machine on the floor. It worked for me... just a little easier not to put it up at night. I applaud you on your financial endeavors... we do what we have to do... good luck to you.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by thelondonzoo
My husband and I have a spare bedroom that we use for an office and for my sewing room. But times are hard so we're going to rent the room out to a college student. Now I have to relocate all my sewing things. Where do you sew in your home? Do you have a permanent place or do you just set up and then put away when you're done? I'm thinking of storing my fabric in a box under my bed, my sewing supplies in a dresser drawer, and keeping my sewing machine next to my dining table.
I'm moving all my stuff into my sewing room and out of the kitchen.Connie in CO
Old 08-18-2011, 06:30 AM

I am an empty nester, so I have a bedroom in the basement converted to my sewing room. The closet hides the pillow forms, and containers for other crafts, I have a bookshelf that holds my material and a huge sewing table. I can keep the ironing board up at all times and shut the door if company comes, I do try to keep the room clean when leaving. I have lucky I have a dedicated outlet for my space heater to keep the room warm in the winter. If I am hand sewing, I usually do that in front of a television upstairs.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:36 AM

Hello! Right now everything seems to be scattered- result of trying to "sort out" everything from when I taught (what do I really want to keep?!), clothes for the mission, old towels and blankets for the dog shelter, and various types of crafts I have done/ am dong. We are now "empty nesters" and some things like tote boxes of fabric, yarn, and beads are in both sons's bedrooms. I'd like to take down one waterbed and make that "my" room, but what if they need to come home? I identify with your problem, and hope you find a solution because I've not yet figured out what to do!