Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Knee lift versus foot pedal >

Knee lift versus foot pedal

Knee lift versus foot pedal

Old 08-18-2011, 07:19 AM

I have 2 different machines that have knee lifts and I can't use either one. My upstairs machine sits on a desk with drawers on both sides, leaving no space for the knee lift. Also, to have my extension table legs on the desk, I have to push the machine back to where the horizonal part of the knee lift arm is too short. My downstairs machine is strictly for quilting and is surrounded by 4"-deep styrofoam, so no knee lift there.

I don't know about my downstairs machine/knee lift, but the upstairs one can be taken out of the machine very easily; re-inserting it is a major chore. It may be a flaw on this particular machine/knee lift or may be common to all the Janome machines. Either way, not a good thing!
Old 08-18-2011, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by wvdek
Isn't the knee lift used to lift the needle on your machine?

I love mine and have learned where to place my chair/machine/knee to make it all work.
Hi, I love my knee lift. It lifts the pressure foot of the sewing machine. I will not use a machine w/out one. It gives you freedom to use both hands. I have two Bernina machines with the knee lift. I try to keep my chair/or leg, far enough away from hitting the knee lift. Take care, Mary
Old 08-18-2011, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by Linda B
I thought it was used in place of a foot pedal. Guess I'd better get the manual out to look that up before doing anything drastic!!!
Some older machines had a knee (pedal) in lieu of a foot peddle. They were mounted on the machine cabinet so that your knee would press it to operate the machine. This did not have anything to do with the pressure foot being lifted. I bought an old cabinet that had one mounted but I took it off. Didn't need it.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by leatheflea
I've owned several sewing machines with a knee pedal, so when I got my knee lift it really caused some problems. I gave up after 2 quilts, and lots of mistakes.
LOL, I was thinking the same thing. Don't think I could use a knee (foot pedal) after having the knee lift for the pressure foot. That would be rather confusing. Good Luck!!
Old 08-18-2011, 07:49 AM

I loved the knee bar to lift the foot on my machine that I had years ago. It was a Bernina. Didn't have to remove my hands from my work. That hasn't come on any Viking I've had since.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:19 AM

My late mother-in-law's machine had a knee CONTROL. It never had a foot pedal. I loved to use that machine. My daughter has the machine now, although she doesn't use it very often because it has none of the fancy stitches. It was just a basic sewing machine. I think it's probably and 1960s model.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:07 AM

I have a Janome Horizon 7700 and while it took a little getting used to, I love using the on/off button!
Old 08-18-2011, 10:27 AM

I had a knee control for my Bernina that I loved and used a lot until I began to have arthritis in my knee. I'm still getting used to using the foot pedal again.
Old 08-18-2011, 12:05 PM
KLO

Absolutely love the knee lift (lifts the presser foot) especially for paper piecing and other piecing too! I bought a second hand Bernina so I could have that feature. When I use one of my old Singers that does not have one, I am constantly trying to find it with my knee. Funny! I also have one that is a separate gizmo that can be bought and attached to your machine with a sort of wire and has a foot pedal that you push to lift the presser foot lever. Strange but I used it for years on one old Singer.
Old 08-18-2011, 01:35 PM

I thought you either had a foot control or a knee pad until many years into my sewing I found out the foot control could be removed & placed on the floor & used. I don't know what I would do now with a knee pedal, because I use my knee lift (for raising pressure foot up & down) so much.