Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Would you? >

Would you?

Would you?

Old 08-19-2011, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by DebsShelties
Get every detail in writing
Definitely! It avoids any misunderstanding later on and, if necessary, can be used in court if one party doesn't live up to their end of the agreement. Sounds like a good deal to me but just make sure each party agrees with the other.
Old 08-19-2011, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by janjer
I hate to rain on your parade but I agree with Jaciqltznok. It seems to me you have the most to lose if this arrangement doesn't work out. You will have spent your time and creative abilities and he probably keeps the quilt(s) since he paid for the material.
If you are really wanting to create quilts to sell, talk to quilt shop owners and get some additional information about the selling aspect. The quilts you sell would have to be your own design, commercial patterns are "for your personal use" and not to be made to sell. Does this man know anything about the quilt market?
You will have to pay income tax on your earnings. What effect will that have on your return?
Take your time, get answers to all your questions, then make your decision.
GOOD point! I forgot about the income tax....and the advice about selling original designs to a quilt shop are absolutely "on point".
Old 08-19-2011, 05:49 AM

Just start small and see how it goes. But If you have the time and he has the resources then go for it.
Lisa
Old 08-19-2011, 06:01 AM

Have you collected your first quilt's pay? Why not try it? I currently have 3 tops that someone gave me and asked if I could quilt them. I said YES BUT not to expect them for at least one full year! I also have a lady who wants me to make a T shirt quilt and again I told her not to expect for possibly a full year. This one I could do on the machine the other 3 she wants done by hand. They are more than willing to pay me and once I quoted a possible price (the hand quilted ones I suggested $350.00 to $400.00 each and the T shirt one I said $300.00 and they both said "fine". YIKES! I think I might have started something!
Old 08-19-2011, 06:01 AM

No way!
Old 08-19-2011, 06:03 AM

Don't forget about the taxes and such. I'm going to work closely with these two ladies and I'm thinking of making an agreement of some sort. I need to think this part through more. Give lots of thought to this subject BUT ask for "help and advice" before fully taking this on.
Old 08-19-2011, 06:04 AM

I would think long and hard before deciding anything. Some years ago a friend asked me to make samples for her shop, she supplied everything. I would make the quilts, wall hangings, etc. and she would put them on the shop walls. After a bit the items were mine, but no longer wanted. Just me but I began to resent having to make something for someone else. Good luck no matter your choice.
Old 08-19-2011, 06:04 AM

Be careful ... it's hard to put a price on a handmade item. You put a lot of hours into it, and one thing I would consider. Do you REALLY want your quilting to become a chore or do you want it to remain a relaxing and fun hobby? To me, anytime I do something for $$, it becomes a job and no longer fun ... just me!
Old 08-19-2011, 06:17 AM

TRY and see how it goes. This could be your way for extra income and maybe--just maybe we'll see you on TV !!! :thumbup:
Old 08-19-2011, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by pollym44
TRY and see how it goes. This could be your way for extra income and maybe--just maybe we'll see you on TV !!! :thumbup:
Make sure you get paper work on all agreements and don't forget the tax man.