Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting Phobias >

Quilting Phobias

Quilting Phobias

Old 08-19-2011, 05:49 AM

I am no expert, but I used Thangles when I started. Then I used the technique of making your squares 1 inch larger and cutting them to size. Not always right, but I subscribe to the "Galloping Horse" theory of quilting!!

I love applique but am afraid of piecing curves. It is always something!
Old 08-19-2011, 06:20 AM

No cutting/piecing fears, here. I tried paper piecing and find it annoying, probably because I'm pretty uncoordinated, but I am also very hardheaded and if I really liked PP, I would keep at it. What irritates me about me is that I've paid what tallies up to a lot of money for gadgets & information that I have yet to try my hand at, and the months that I keep putting it off have now grown into years.
Old 08-19-2011, 06:42 AM

Someone suggested using parchment paper to help with applique but now I don't remember how it was to be used. Any one know?
NainciefromWyoming
Old 08-19-2011, 06:45 AM

Here is how i conquered my fears. Got some old holes included shirts/skirts cut into large squares. Placed two ontop of each othere drew that diagonal line and then stitched 1/4 " on both sides and then cut down the middle. Iron them and check it out you've just sewn triangles. Cheep and easy. Go for it.
Old 08-19-2011, 07:00 AM

I avoid anything with an applique. I have heard it is easy, but I am not so sure!
Old 08-19-2011, 07:17 AM

I'm not really scared of anything. There are a lot of shapes and techniques that I haven't tried yet, but I am excited to add them to the list and give it my best effort in future projects!

That said, there are certainly some things that I like doing better than others... ;)
Old 08-19-2011, 07:39 AM

Starch.
Old 08-19-2011, 07:43 AM

When I made it I had no idea about all the things that could go wrong. Don't listen to the Negative Nellies around here and just do it! You'll love the outcome I promise![/quote]

I agree completely. Sometimes ignorance is bliss, so you are not afraid to try.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:01 AM

My suggestion would be to use some of your scraps and make a practice quilt. Find a pattern that you could turn into a table runner and then go ahead with the triangles. If you're not happy with it, at least you've had some practice and I'll just bet you end up with a wonderful table runner! Go for it. Who cares?

I have a heck of a time with machine quilting and I know that I'd get better with more practice, but sense I get so frustrated, I don't put in the time. I machine quilt baby quilts and have never yet had a baby say it wasn't nice.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:10 AM

I never made anything with triangles either and I've been quilting 8 years. I finally made this quilt last year. I discovered I cannot get ANY triangle to go proper if I cut on the bias before I sew. I went very slow and easy using all speed piecing techniques from quilterscache.com and created my Anniversary Sampler for my husband. I don't think I'm as scared of triangles anymore....I just refuse to make them unless they are speed pieced. Quilting is supposed to be fun, not scary, intimidating or frustrating. If I can do it, and I have some adult LD in math, so I know you can do it. Take a look, it is posted here:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-36285-1.htm

You can try a sampler too, even if it's only 9 blocks. It's great practice and you can learn really good techniques as well. And, if you hate one of the blocks, you only had to make one!

Melissa