Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting Phobias >

Quilting Phobias

Quilting Phobias

Old 08-19-2011, 11:48 AM

My first quilting project had half-square triangles in it. they aren't too bad, and the rest you just have to be careful. My quilt instructor told me not to be afraid to try, as you'll be surprised what you can do. She's given me approval, after two beginning classes, to take advanced beginner and even intermediate projects next go round.
Old 08-19-2011, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by MaryAnnMc
What's the worst that can happen? A messed-up block? We all own seam rippers. Stare your fear in the face and GO FOR IT! :-D

Ditto to that. And practice and practice and practice some more and just maybe, they will be your favorite.
Old 08-19-2011, 12:33 PM

I really don't like doing hand applique, but get/borrow whatever, the dvd by the girls from "piece of cake", their approach is so much more informative and makes you almost wanting to try......the video has great close up shots... I have never heard of using parchment paper for machine applique, but I use freezer paper for mine. I do know some people who do hand app use freezer paper on the front of the piece and then fold over at the edge of the freezer paper...use it as a guide....
Old 08-19-2011, 12:38 PM

I am afraid to do hand applique. I did some once and did not like the way it came out, so have a mental block against it. I know it is silly. I am doing a block of the month right now that has applique in a center medallion. I started doing raw edge applique, but maybe I will attempt some needle turn on this project...
Old 08-19-2011, 12:57 PM

Color terrifies me! Are the going to match? Will they look good together, are the values correct? Will the border match the quilt? Gives me heartburn, but I am slowly learning about values, and color...very slowly.
Old 08-19-2011, 12:58 PM

Paper piecing....still can't wrap my brain around that backwards/sew on the wrong side thing. And applique I can handle IF it's hand blanket stitch but otherwise I avoid it like the plague!
Old 08-19-2011, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by tangledthread
Color terrifies me! Are the going to match? Will they look good together, are the values correct? Will the border match the quilt? Gives me heartburn, but I am slowly learning about values, and color...very slowly.
Here's a tip I once read: Any 5 colors and fabrics may be very tricky to match up BUT any 15 or 20 aren't. If you like the scrappy look, just stay with some color description for all of the fabrics (brights, winter colors, autumn colors, Easter pastels or whatever) and you'll be absolutely fine!
Old 08-19-2011, 02:54 PM

I thik the biggest threat to me is the scrappy! Curved lines comes just behind that.
Old 08-19-2011, 02:58 PM

Things with lots of points. :thumbdown:
Old 08-19-2011, 03:03 PM

I found paper-peicing to be horribly simple. But applique...it's the Michael Meyers of quilting techniques! It horrifies me!