Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hiding Fabric Purchases >

Hiding Fabric Purchases

Hiding Fabric Purchases

Old 08-05-2011, 04:40 PM
Dee

I don't need to hide, but I like to feel like I do. Sounds crazy. DH has never minded what I buy. But like he used to say-if we can pay for it-go for it.
Old 08-05-2011, 06:03 PM

My husband supports my fabric habit, no hiding fabric, no rolled eyes, etc., in fact he bought me a Nolting 17" Fun Quilter with a 10 ft. frame so that I could make more children's quilts for our local Children's Cancer Hospital. Since May 1st I have quilted 9 and have 2 more ready to go. When a quilt comes off the take-up roller he asks 'when are you going to put another one on'. I've had him for 49 years and hope to have him another 49 years. He's a jewel and I'll keep him.
Old 08-05-2011, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by JUNEC
Just curious on how many of you hide your fabric purchases from your DH's?

We are retired & I really don't like going out myself, so I usually go with someone - mainly DH - who can for some reason -spend hours in any golf store - but not very good when he goes to a fabric store.

I find that purchasing fabric online is easier for me & great fun. However, I just started to organize a sewing room. I can't believe how much fabric I have found & refell in love with since taking it out of the plastic totes, refolding it and putting it on shelves - in my closet

However, that doesn't mean I have stop buying fabric. My challenge now is to beat my DH to the door when the mailman drops off the mail & hide my precious packages (to be opened at a later time) Sometimes, I feel like I am 13 again & trying to hide something I did wrong from my parents.

But there is nothing like the fabric high I get when I open a package that has been delivered from an online fabric store.

LOVE IT!!!!!!
I have my own money and do not need to hide fabric. I will often show him some special piece that I bought because I love it. I don't know what it will become yet but when I do I know where to get it.
Old 08-06-2011, 01:50 AM

Well, I am very new to quilting, taking my first class now. However, my personnal opinion....you can never have enough fabric. LOL...In being so new to quilting, I've come to realize how important it is to buy 'enough' fabric to complete any particular quilt. Well, yep, as I worked on my first quilt, I made a few mistakes and had to take my quilt apart only to find that I had to recut a few pieces and didn't have enough fabric. Soooo, off to the quilt shop I go only to find that they didn't have any more of my particular fabric. Now, I purchase more than I need and I'm starting to collect quite a lot of fabric. My husband calls it 'junk', only because he hasn't come to his good senses yet and realized how precious fabric is, to a quilter, lol, especially when you don't have enough. I don't complain abouty how many cameras her has laying around the house. Now, I'm not saying I'm a hoarder but these extra pieces are sure coming in handy for an applique class that I'm taking. I find that the pieces, big and small, give me a broader selection than just going out and buying a few pieces for my applique patterns. So, NO, I wouldn't exactly call it hoarding.......it's just fun! I guess I'm not the one to make comments since I'm so new to quilting but after reading many, many posts on the QB about other peoples 'stashes', I've quickly come to appreciate the excitement. Have a great quilting day! ! ! ! But to answer the first question: No, I don't hide my purchases. I work full time and I work hard so I feel I can buy what I want ..... within reason.

Originally Posted by BigDog
Are you hiding purchases because he would be displeased or because you want the thrill of opening them at leisure?

I guess I just don't understand the thrill of hoarding. I buy what I want to use and I use it. And for sure with 100% certainty, I would never stay married to someone I had to hide stuff from.

But that's just me.
Old 08-06-2011, 12:45 PM

My DH is also supportive of my crafts. He knows it's usually a day out with the girlfriends and that I always, always use my coupons. Now he just asks when I come home with more fabric from Joann's, "Well, how much money did you save me today?"
Old 08-06-2011, 03:26 PM

I don't hide it from him, I just don't show him. Reason being - I don't like the "eye roll" thing and my DD gives me the same look :roll:

Maybe1day
Old 08-08-2011, 06:21 AM

I like to look at mine by myself and enjoy the look and feel of such a wonderful purchase. LOL
Old 08-13-2011, 09:38 AM
Banned

why bother, I never hide any purchase from my husb--my money,my choice.
Old 08-19-2011, 12:05 PM

Oh dear. That really made me laugh.....a lot!!!!
Old 08-19-2011, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by wvdek
Originally Posted by ckcowl
i am so saddened by people who feel the need to hide their purchases- regardless if it's fabric or anything else. i guess i have been lucky to have a good open relationship with my husband and would never think of buying something i felt i needed to hide--except of course- gifts---
i find it very distressing to read of people who have to be sneaky in their own homes
I agree 100%. I don't get it - if you are married to this person and you feel the need to 'hide' your purchases, then I believe you are wrong for having bought it in the first place and chances are you cannot afford it or need it and that is why you hide it. I also do not understand throwing it back in your mates face.
Please, I am not condemning you at all, I just don't get it and cannot understand folks who do it.
What are we teaching our children and grandchildren???

You absolutely right about the message we are sending our children. I don't believe money is at the heart of the matter. I think it's more to do with self worth...for both - the bully and the victim.