Another name for Grandma?

Old 05-04-2011, 07:46 AM

My son-in-law is from (former Soviet) Republic of Georgia and his sister's children call me Sarah (my name) Babo (BayBeau) - means Grandma Sarah. I love it - I have 2 more grandchildren. It makes me feel good that they consider me their grandma.
Old 05-06-2011, 03:01 PM

I haven't read them all, but in Hawaii they use "Tutu"
Old 08-19-2011, 11:05 PM

Why is it when someone gets divorced they feel they have to give their girlfriends, boyfriends, new wives or new husbands a title along with a name? As a mother and a parent I find it dishonoring to call someone who didn't give birth to anyone of my children, hasn't been there over the years loving and caring for that child, mother or father, a title that should only bestowed to the actual parent. Little children do not sit around and debate what they should call the man or woman dating or married to their parent due to a divorce. They simply look to the adults around them and follow their lead. Becoming a parent to my three children was the greatest gift and honor God could bestow on me, I took that title and responsibility serious and to just toss that name to someone to make that person feel part of a family, boost their ego, gain favor with the person by giving them a title to go with their name waters down the whole honor of becoming a parent and the unique and special privilege God bestowed. While the girlfriend or boyfriend, second wife or second husband may over the years become someone special in the life of the child, calling them by their given name is in no way disrespectful to that relationship. I think the same can be said for calling a non-relative Grandma and Grandpa in what ever form is inappropriate as well. Maybe if society gave the reverence to being given the gift of a having a child and becoming a parent it deserves and stopped dubbing it down by giving out titles so lightly, we would look at the gift of having a child as the miracle and gift from God that it is.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:05 PM

Why is it when someone gets divorced they feel they have to give their girlfriends, boyfriends, new wives or new husbands a title along with a name? As a mother and a parent I find it dishonoring to call someone who didn't give birth to anyone of my children, hasn't been there over the years loving and caring for that child, mother or father, a title that should only bestowed to the actual parent. Little children do not sit around and debate what they should call the man or woman dating or married to their parent due to a divorce. They simply look to the adults around them and follow their lead. Becoming a parent to my three children was the greatest gift and honor God could bestow on me, I took that title and responsibility serious and to just toss that name to someone to make that person feel part of a family, boost their ego, gain favor with the person by giving them a title to go with their name waters down the whole honor of becoming a parent and the unique and special privilege God bestowed. While the girlfriend or boyfriend, second wife or second husband may over the years become someone special in the life of the child, calling them by their given name is in no way disrespectful to that relationship. I think the same can be said for calling a non-relative Grandma and Grandpa in what ever form is inappropriate as well. Maybe if society gave the reverence to being given the gift of a having a child and becoming a parent it deserves and stopped dubbing it down by giving out titles so lightly, we would look at the gift of having a child as the miracle and gift from God that it is.
Old 08-20-2011, 03:07 AM

Thank you everyone for the suggestions and advice. Even the negative and highly opinionated ones! I think Cindy76 missed the whole point of my question.

I grew up in a wonderful little community on an island in Canada. People who we were close to but weren't family got the titles Aunt or Uncle. Then as they aged the whole community added the titles Aunt or Uncle to their names as a sign of respect, caring... inclusion.

Long before the slogan "It takes a whole village to raise a child" became popular, our communities (called outports here in Newfoundland) was living that belief. My husband's marriage broke up due in NO part to anything he ever did and he raised his boys alone with love and respect. He chose his second wife (Me) very carefully and his boys know that and respect me for what I have brought not only to his life but to theirs as well. For my granddaughter a beautiful 3 month old to call me by my first name would teach her that this adult is not to be respected, when she is calling other adults around her Mr. or Mrs. SO I did indeed need a special name. One that everyone including the woman who left her daddy when he was a little boy could feel comfortable with.

I chose Gigi. It stands on various days for Grumpy Granny, Gorgeous Granny, Glammy Granny, Good Grandmother... All I know is that Matthew uses that name all the time when he talks to Natalie ( MY granddaughter) and I like it. My own children were delighted that I am saving the special name of Nan or Grandma for their children and Natalie is blessed to have a loving and caring person in her life who will enhance her life and that of her extended family.

And my believe is that if we all cared a little more about the people who aren't related to us by DNA the world would be a safer and more peaceful place to be.
Old 08-20-2011, 03:10 AM

I am grammy and my mom is bamma. DH is papa
Old 08-20-2011, 05:19 AM

My grandchildren call me nana. It is what I called my grandmothers on my moms side and I like it. My step grandchildren call me by my name, 'because I am not their grandmother." Sometimes being a step is NOT FUN!!! But I don't have a good relationship with any of his children, so I expected it. And it's ok. Just lesson learned...no men with children will ever be in my life again (hence won't be dating again..lol)
Old 08-20-2011, 06:21 AM

When our grand kids were little they called me G-ma and i really liked it, now that we have a greatgrand son they call me GG and i like that too.....Grands and great grands are so special......
Old 08-20-2011, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by emerald46
My dearest older grandmotherly friend was always called "Hon" by her children, grandchildren and other relatives/friends. My granddogs just bark and wag their tails when I come it...lol
lol. That's funny. You're a 'wag'.
Old 08-20-2011, 06:36 AM

Meme.. or Pepe..