Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
I'm learning >

I'm learning

I'm learning

Old 08-20-2011, 03:36 AM

I have learned over the years and now only gift those who are kind enough to say thank you. A couple of Grandkids have asked why they haven't received a quilt yet and were told point blank that when they brush up on their manners and learn to thank the giver they, too, will be gifted. Didn't seem to sink in so now they receive nothing at all from us. My husband thinks I'm being mean --- I think I'm being cool. I can live with me and am satisfied.

Isn't it amazing how the thank you notes will magically appear once they are prompted?
Old 08-20-2011, 03:43 AM

I'm so sorry. Your quilts & ornaments are just beautiful & they deserved a HUGE thank you & acknowledgment. I am trying to teach my kids to get notes written immediately. You're right - I don't think I'd put my heart & soul into elaborate gifts again, sadly. Lovely, lovely gifts!
Old 08-20-2011, 03:43 AM

I'm sure we all agree "it is better to give than to receive." Our joy comes from making something for someone and giving it to them. Yes, a TY would be nice. I agree that no thank you----no gift!!! Seems like others besides family members can be more thrilled with handmade gifts. Wonder why that is?! Your quilts are wonderful.
Old 08-20-2011, 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by Suzi
I have learned over the years and now only gift those who are kind enough to say thank you. A couple of Grandkids have asked why they haven't received a quilt yet and were told point blank that when they brush up on their manners and learn to thank the giver they, too, will be gifted. Didn't seem to sink in so now they receive nothing at all from us. My husband thinks I'm being mean --- I think I'm being cool. I can live with me and am satisfied.

Isn't it amazing how the thank you notes will magically appear once they are prompted?
What a great learning moment! I commend you. Where in PA? I'm in Elk County.
Old 08-20-2011, 09:02 AM

Some people (too many, actually) don't get the "quilt" thing, or the "handmade gift" thing, and that is too bad. I PREFER to make gifts rather than buy them, however, I've learned that some people won't appreciate the extra effort put into handmade things. I also give my nieces and nephews gift cards or money because when kids are kids, they have certain specific things they want, and I can't keep up with all that.

Beautiful quilts, make one for yourself!
Old 08-20-2011, 09:08 AM
Power Poster

Hi Lois,
I had this happen to me once and I know the pain you are feeling. It is hard enough to lay out the cold hard cash that it takes to make such beautiful quilts, but to have the person not even send a card or make a phone call is unthinkable!

I am so sorry this has happened to you.

Maybe once they use your quilt for a while they will use thier noodles to stop and give a word of thanks.
Old 08-20-2011, 09:39 AM

Why don't you e-mail them and ask if they have received the quilts? Then if you don't get a thank you, e-mail back and say "You're welcome!" Maybe that will remind them. Kids today are not taught the proper etiquette of thank you notes.

Hang in there. You can adopt me. I send thank you notes for thank you notes! LOL

Originally Posted by LoisN
I think I'm wearing my feelings on my sleeves, but I'm hurt. I just sent my niece and nephew quilts (full-size) for their graduation presents. I insured them and tracked them and know that they were delivered on Saturday (today is Wednesday). Still haven't heard a word from them. I have about $200 in each quilt plus the labor and I think a phone call or e-mail would have been nice. Their mom (my sister-in-law) has also never acknowledged the Christmas ornaments I made for her last Christmas. Guess I'll get them storebought gifts from now on. It isn't worth it to work on something that is not appreciated. Here are pics of the items I sent. Am I being unrealistic?
Old 08-22-2011, 09:36 AM

Beautiful quilts and ornaments! I am sorry that your sad, but I must say your quilts are beautiful!
Old 08-22-2011, 12:15 PM

does anyone know where i could find vintage apron patterns for the 50's and 60's in plus size i need a 2x or 3x or does anyone on here sew this kind of aprons...i would be grafeful if anyone knows...thanks
Old 08-22-2011, 12:44 PM

beautiful quilts -