Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Knee lift versus foot pedal >

Knee lift versus foot pedal

Knee lift versus foot pedal

Old 08-18-2011, 08:47 PM

I grew up using a knee lift and miss having one. It is difficult to bend my foot all the time on foot pedal. Also my feet / ankles swell.. more difficult. hmm oh well, :)
Old 08-19-2011, 04:05 AM

I love the knee lift too! It's the second best thing about my machine, my favorite is the automatic needle threader!
Old 08-19-2011, 02:38 PM

The knee lift is the greatest. I wouldn't want to be without it. Once you feel comfy using it, you'll want to keep it forever. Allows pivoting with great ease. Super duper invention.
Old 08-19-2011, 02:59 PM

It took me some time to get used to the knee lift but I love it now. It also gives a little added lift to the pressure foot shaft, making it easier to get the walking foot on the machine. I really love that.

I had a knee control machine as a little girl. It was my first sewing machine. It also had long bobbins, not round.

The foot control on my machine has the ability to raise the needle with a press to the back of the pedal. Love that too.

I have tried to get used to the start/stop button but haven't yet. It's funny how we all love to sew but have different likes and needs with these things.

Fun reading this thread.
Old 08-19-2011, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Linda B
I thought it was used in place of a foot pedal. Guess I'd better get the manual out to look that up before doing anything drastic!!!
I THOUGHT THE SAME THING. BUT I THINK ITS USED FOR MACHINE APPLIQUEING. LIFTS UP THE PRESSURE FOOT. AM I RIGHT>>??? :shock:
Old 08-19-2011, 11:58 PM

That's the funny-looking silver thing that comes with most new machines, right??? LOL LOL. I was years before I knew what the heck it was for, I just threw it in a drawer and forgot about it.
During a visit, my mother was helping with with a quilt and rummaging thru some drawers she found it and asked if I ever used it. Sheepishly I told her I didn't know what it was. She explained that I used one when I was growing up.
OK, here's the thing. Mom had a very nice sewing machine in a very nice cabinet. When the machine was set up to sew, there was this comfortable, flat lever that you controlled with you knee to move the machine back and forth. I never associated that with this crappy little piece junk lying in my drawer. We both agreed that it was pathetic and wouldn't be used on my machines. It's still in the drawer LOL
Old 08-20-2011, 06:07 AM

I have a knee control but has never tried it
Old 08-20-2011, 06:15 AM

Wow, I did not realize how special my machine is.
Mine automatically lifts the foot when I stop sewing, thats when Im in needle down mode.
Then automatically goes down when I start to sew.
I love this feature and use it all the time.
When not in needle down mode, I just push a button to raise the foot then it automatically lowers when I start to sew.
I have the Viking Sapphire 830.
Old 08-20-2011, 12:04 PM

Hi Girls, Does anyone know where to get a knee lift for a Brother machene? I went to there site and nothing on their assessories page. Thanks irishd
Old 09-15-2011, 09:38 PM

I just acquired a Bernina 830 in the red case but the knee lift is missing. does anybody have one they would part with?