Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
QUILTING FOR OTHERS ADVICE >

QUILTING FOR OTHERS ADVICE

QUILTING FOR OTHERS ADVICE

Old 08-20-2011, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by LisaGibbs
That is the wonderful thing about choices. I would put your price list out there and they can pay or go elsewhere. I wouldn't devalue your time and efforts just so you won't hurt feelings. What about yours? How long would you be doing this for "nothing much" before you begin to resent the entire process.
Lisa your advice is good for many different avenues of business. It wouldn't take long to want to quit if you work for sweat shop labor wages!

Vicky, your friends probably don't intend any insult, they were just living in Lollypop Land at those old prices and have no idea what the real world would charge. Their old LAQ sounds like she finally realized she was greatly undervaluing her work.
Just ask your friends to stop and think about each stage of the work involved, how much materials and batting and thread cost these days and to add in the cost and maintenance of your set up. Then ask them what they themselves would charge for it as a business. I think they will get the point and maybe even feel bad that they suggested you do it for so little.
Old 08-20-2011, 11:24 AM

Only doing Pantographs with perhaps an added area of Stipple or Meander
to enhance the top .... has always kept me busy. But of course, my prices
and turn around time were at a minimum. Guess I am the fool that just
loves to sew and quilt!
Old 08-20-2011, 11:48 AM
Power Poster

I would tell them your prices are not that low and go over with them how much time is involved in prep and actual quilting. I would also let them know your skill level or in other words what your comfortable doing.
Old 08-20-2011, 12:00 PM
Power Poster

Let me start off by saying your quilts are beautiful. I do my own machine quilting on my quilts and do not send them out. Having said that, those prices you gave seem extremely low and perhaps they think that because you are a friend that you would charge them less. If you start doing LAQ as a business, treat it as such. Having read the comments and suggestions below, I believe you have been given sound advice. Check out local LAQ, find out what they charge and how they arrive at that fee, then after making a decision what to charge, stick with it, friends or not, same price. It will only come back to bite you in the you know what if you give special rates to some and not others. Best of luck. You're starting off on the right foot by asking for and getting good advice.
Old 08-20-2011, 12:06 PM

Often times they charge for the square inch and extra for binding. I've paid from 1.5 - 3 cents per square inch.
Old 08-20-2011, 12:19 PM

In our area of the country most quilters charge 1.5 cents to 2 cents per square inch and they can't keep up with the work. Upper midwest
Old 08-20-2011, 12:31 PM

The LAQs I've used charged by the inch. More if I wanted more threads used.
Old 08-20-2011, 12:54 PM

My experience with anything like this has been...It's another job I don't need! It takes away from your joy of doing it for yourself and a few friends. Not only that but you open yourself up to a lot of people expecting more than they pay for! I would just say " I'm sorry I have much on my plate at this time in my life and just couldn't fit anymore into it". You have not offended anyone but have protected yourself from unnecessary grief. When you take something that's your hobby or passion and put it on sale it takes on a whole new ugly face!!! I know I have person in my life that's been a friend forever and I always did things for her to "help" her out. Lots of my time and no kind of appreciation for it. I have had to start backing off...it's not easy. Save yourself & your fun & relaxation. Just my 2 cents. Pam G
Old 08-20-2011, 01:29 PM

I have paid up to 85.00 for a twin size, 65.00 for a wall hanging which had a lot detail. 100.00 for a double. If the quilt had to be removed and turned another 10.00 tacked on. Binding another 10.00-15.00. I had to do my own pressing on top and back and it was optional in providing own batting. Call other LAQs, and get estimates. Then you have bargaining power with the knowledge you gained. Don't undersell yourself and your talent.
Old 08-20-2011, 02:37 PM

The LAQ I send my quilts to starts her pricing at $125 for a pantograph on a double bed size.

Once a year, she has a special - quilt one, 2nd for half price.

I have a friend who had one Q size quilted with different patterns in each block. She is a perfectionist. Pretty sure she paid over $400 - - - however, it was completely hand pieced, definitely not a charity quilt.