Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Offline Events, Announcements, Discussions
Looking for someone to do program >

Looking for someone to do program

Looking for someone to do program

Old 08-20-2011, 03:09 PM

If you live in or near Anderson County, KY, this is close to Frankfort about 45 minutes from Lexington, KY. I am in charge of getting the programs together for the Anderson County Quilt Guild and looking for someone that might want to do a program. We can pay a small fee or if you have a business you can bring stuff to sell. We are a small guild of about 25 - 30 and looking for new ideas for programs and demonstrations. If interested let me know.
Old 08-21-2011, 07:20 AM

What kind of program do you want? Do you want it in color?
Are you having a quilt contest with pictures of the quilts. You can PM me and I can let you know if I can help you even tho I don't live there. How soon do you need it.

Cookie
Old 08-21-2011, 08:29 AM

I was in charge of programs for our guild a few years ago. Check with other guilds in nearby towns and see who they brought to their guilds and what was the reaction to the program. Would they recommend them?

What is your budget? Our guild has brought in "famous" people in the past, but now many of them won't show up for less than $1000 after we paid transportation and lodging. Can you split transportation and lodging with a nearby group if you meet on consecutive days? They can visit your guild one day, another guild the next.

Maybe there is a quilt shop owner who would come and show a snippet of a new technique or give demos on some of the latest tools and gadgets.

We have also done a "round robin" where guild members show a new technique for about 15 minutes. We might have 2 or 3 demos going on at the same time and the guild divides into smaller groups and rotates from station to station.

And since you are in Kentucky, Paducah isn't too far away and neither is Louisville. Lots of talented people there.

Look for back issues of quilt magazines, you may find some quilters profiled there who live close by.

And always have a back up plan in case someone backs out at the last minute do to illness or bad weather.
Old 08-21-2011, 09:47 AM

We got Janet Miller from City Stitcher who lives in Ohio. She came to the Batesville IN group and I thought it was one of the best lectures and show/tell I had seen. She had 100 quilts from her earliest to her latest patterns/books. Lots of tips given thruout the lecture.

She is coming to Indy next year.

www.citystitcher.com
Old 08-21-2011, 03:22 PM

Thanks for all your inputs, am looking for someone to come to our meeting and do a demo on a pattern, trunk show things of this nature. We have done round robins and use a lot of the talent we have in our guild but looking for new faces. It's great when a quilt store comes in and sell things. Our budget would only allow to pay $50.00. Not much but a little something for a person's time. We have contests thoughtout the year and lots of other activities, it just would be nice to see something new.
Old 08-21-2011, 04:05 PM

Batesville is a small guild and close to Lawrenceburg. You two should get together and share lecturers maybe. But if she would drive over and sell her patterns for Batesville she might for Lawrenceburg. She made a lot of money off patterns because she was able to show the samples and let us look at them closely.

She also has such a wide variety of patterns.
Old 08-21-2011, 04:37 PM

Thanks I will definitely check out Batesville, might have to plan a reoad trip this weekend. I'm guessing Batesville is in IN. I live close to Frankfort, KY but she might come. Do you ever go to the shops in Madison, IN? I do every time I over there.
Old 08-21-2011, 04:41 PM

Batesville is on I74 between Indy and Cinn. Closer to Cinn.

I love Madison. Dont get there often anymore. My friend moved to Osgood Indiana and I often travel there but then stay and visit with her.

Have you visited Pohlar Fabric in Liberty IN down next to Brookville IN? It is fantastic and has good prices. Get on their email list and they will send you sale notices. End of month it is 30% off if you finish the bolt. They also sell Berninas. Nice people.
Old 08-21-2011, 04:46 PM

You wouldn't happen to live in Las Vegas would you? We lived there for 3 years, stationed at Nellis AFB. would love to go back and see all the changes, we lived there 88-91.
Old 08-21-2011, 04:48 PM

Thanks will definetly have to make a road trip now. Are you going to the Shop hop at Wright Patterson Air Force Base over the Labor Day weekend? I'm thinking about it. have a cousin I can spend the night with.