Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
QUILTING FOR OTHERS ADVICE >

QUILTING FOR OTHERS ADVICE

QUILTING FOR OTHERS ADVICE

Old 08-20-2011, 03:13 PM

You need to take in account your time (set-up), thread, and electricity. If a mistake is made, you have to correct it which takes time.
LAQ charge by the square inch, meandering, $.015 to $.045; panograph-edge to edge all over design, $.015 to $.045; custom quilting start at $.05 per square inch. Also a thread charge starting at $5 for each quilt. This quilt shop charges a minimum fee of $35 for all edge to edge quilts and $75 for custom projects. They also charge for squaring backing $15; squaring up quilt top $25; pressing $25/hour; piecing backing $10 per seam. Adding strips to sides of backing due to backing being too small $10 per seam.
I took this from my local quilt shop.
Don't cut yourself short on cost.
Old 08-20-2011, 04:40 PM

We women are too good at undervaluing our labor. In any art,it seems that we do not think we should charge for the many things needed to make something special. Just because it looks simple to us,does not mean it is easy! As a music
teacher I was asked many times,"Whatever happened to 50 cent
lessons ?" and my reply was:"Gone with 19 cents a loaf bread
and 15 cent a gallon gasoline !"
Old 08-20-2011, 05:00 PM

There is no way on this green earth that I would quilt for others for so little. I'm astonished they would tell you you shouldn't be charging more than the peanuts they quoted.

If you're concerned about offending- you can either graciously decline altogether and give whatever excuse you want (don't have the time, etc.) OR think and research very carefully about what would be a fair price and give them your list of prices and the terms (they provide batting, iron backing, whether or not binding is included, thread changes, all-over vs. custom, size of quilt, etc).

If they have a fit over your prices I would have on-hand price sheets from several other LAQs in the area and say (graciously) that they are more than welcome to hire any of them to quilt for them. I guarantee that would shut them up in a New York second.
Old 08-20-2011, 05:28 PM
Power Poster

my laq charges a penny a inch and she charges 3.00 for the thread that is solid color varigated is a little more good luck on your quilting
Old 08-20-2011, 05:36 PM

I have had two queen size tops quilted by a LAQ. I furnished the batting and did the binding myself. Price: $185.00 each. She did a great job and I thought the price was reasonable.
Old 08-20-2011, 05:36 PM

I am just starting this journey, too. But I almost fell off my chair when I read what they were paying. I agree with Charisma - do not undervalue your work. The LA pro that trained me gave me some great advice - check the local 'market' (quilt shops that do it for customers is a good place to start) to see what they charge. She reccommended never charging less than 1.5 cent/sq in. And that is low low low, for a very simple overall meander. Anything custom (which is sashing, borders, designs in blocks, etc) can be more than 4 cents/sq in. If you have to iron, piece backings, or ANYTHING else, she recommended charging for each service. Another pro around here ran a special "get 'er done" price of $15/sq yard (for 'those quilts not worth spending the money on"), or $25/sq yd for more detailed work. But she has a computerized machine, so can set it and walk away.
Hope that helps!
Old 08-20-2011, 05:49 PM
Power Poster

invite them over to do their own! you supervise!!!
Old 08-20-2011, 09:03 PM

I work at a quilt shop and we charge 1 cent per square inch plus $4. thead charge and we have a 2 to 2 1/2 month turn around with 2 LR and always busy
Old 08-20-2011, 09:20 PM

I paid $187.50 for a 110x112 (larger than king), she used her thread, her batting (hobbs poly down) and an all over 'wandering hearts' pattern. I feel I got a great deal and she will do any others that I quilt by check. Please do not start out by undervaluing yourself, or it will never end. If they don't like your rates, they are free to seek another LAQ. You need to make sure that working on others quilts, doesn't make it impossible to work on your own, because you don't charge enough. Call around to other LAQ's in your area, and find out what the going rate is. Most of all, don't let your 'light for quilting', dim because you can't meet someone else's prices. :thumbup:
Old 08-21-2011, 09:38 AM

The ones you have done made me catch my breath. I have to agree with others this price is too cheap. Out inOk they chargs a certain price preparing it for the frame and then so much per sq inch. Some is like 20cents an in(sq. in ) My good friend got a queen sized done for $40.00. It was beautifully done. If the customer wants real fancy they you have to charge more. Best of luck.