Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
** If you own a "Serger" please respond  ** >

** If you own a "Serger" please respond **

** If you own a "Serger" please respond **

Old 08-21-2011, 04:48 AM

I have an older Singer serger, the top looper breaks all of the time! Took in for service and still breaks, don't know what to do? Waiting for a snow storm when I don't have anything to do and try to do fiquire it out...or throw it out!!!!!!I have tried all various tensions on it and still it breaks. Does anyone have any suggestions?????? Thank you!
Old 08-21-2011, 04:54 AM

Got my brother serger
onn line at walmart.com...love it...haven't mastered it yet but love it.
Old 08-21-2011, 05:09 AM

I got one about 20 years ago by Simplicity. Ironic name...it's been anything but simple! EVERY time I have to change threads, or if the thread breaks, I have difficulty getting it to work again. Threading is color coded and in a specific order, but still I always have problems. It was great for making curtains when I could get it running.I don't take it out to use often...it frustrates me that much. I've pretty much given up on it and am considering asking my sewing machine repair guy if he wants to trade me something for it. It wasn't cheap, it was about $500 20 years ago. I've gotten more use of my featherwieght in less than a year than I did on the serger in 20 years. If I was ever tempted to get another, I'd want a self threading one.
Old 08-21-2011, 05:11 AM

By far Babylock is the best serger on the market. The air threading for the loopers is fantastic!!!!!!!

You owe it to yourself to go to a dealer, and try one out. It's definitely worth the price. I have an Evolve and I love it.

You may be able to find a used one after you decide which one you like best.
Old 08-21-2011, 05:46 AM

Simplicity is very!!! hard to thread
Old 08-21-2011, 06:48 AM

I was given a used Huskylock. Spent $120 to get it serviced. I can't thread it. I was so excited about getting it! Now I don't see that I will use it that much and wish I'd never seen it! LOL I don't know what to do with it now
Old 08-21-2011, 06:53 AM

I have an "antique" serger, a Babylok, that I bought in the early 80's, so can't really tell you anything about the "modern" ones . It's been a real work horse, NEVER any problems, but since I started quilting has been rarely used, but wouldn't think of ever selling it.
Old 08-21-2011, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by jitkaau
I have a Baby Lock Evolve. It is self - threading, can be threaded in any order, don't have to adjust tension discs, does cover stitch and chain stitch and rolled hems with minimal adjustments and makes a very nice stitch.
I have the same and love it.

Cookie
Old 08-21-2011, 07:09 AM

I have had a Singer, but spent more time adjusting the tension than serging. Then purchased the Babylock, Not the most expensive but the one below it (Enlighten). It has the "Puff" Threader for the Upper and Lower Looper. I only need to change dials (numbers on each one) and always have the same look no matter when I get back to serging. If you go to the most expensive one It has a place for serging with 8 cones. (Which allows you to do the hemming on knit fabric (the double roll of stitching) I just sit down to the serger and start stitching and am very pleased with it.
Old 08-21-2011, 07:12 AM

I have my mother's Huskylock...and I love that machine! It's not an easy threader, but it's not that difficult. Works great!!

If I was going to buy a serger, unless I sewed tons of clothing (and I don't) I'd go for a used one...less expensive and just as good in most cases.