Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What is the age you became an empty nester at? >

What is the age you became an empty nester at?

What is the age you became an empty nester at?

Old 08-21-2011, 04:26 AM

I am 63 and became an empty nester last month!!! My daughter (36) finally moved out. I am beginning to think that the front door is a revolving door. She leaves,gets a dog or cat, then moves back in, then leaves but can't take the pet, then gets another pet, then moves back in.

This time I made her take one of our dogs with her. Now we have only 4!

The empty nest (the first time) wasn't so bad. I was still working so the only difference was 1 less place setting to set at the table. Sue moved fairly near by so the empty table didn't stay that way long.

Gotta love those kids!
Old 08-21-2011, 04:31 AM

THEY always come back........LOL
Old 08-21-2011, 04:42 AM

41 Woohoo..the youngest went in to the service and married his highschool sweetheart the oldest graaduated college that same year and lives with his girl friend of 7 years. I had the rule once you turn 18 you pay rent. even when home from college (it was not much...25.00 for everything while on college breaks but was going to hike that up once done if needed..and once out...your out...but they have both done really well and have both been on their own for over 6 years. Both were on there own by 19...though one was in college most of that time but he paid his own way. My folks were the same...I was out of the house at 18 with no regrets...it helped me grow up and become responisble.
Old 08-21-2011, 04:48 AM

Old 08-21-2011, 04:50 AM

Emptynester. That means when the kids leave right. First time no kids, I was 40. The the oldest came back and left again (from school), 42. The second time he came back (separated from wife) 48. The third time he came back (lost a job and had to find another one) 51. He keeps coming back like a bad penny. But really, He is a good guy with poor luck. I would rather they know they can ask to come home than not have a place to go but the streets. I enjoy my boys and am pretty lucky to have them as friends.
Old 08-21-2011, 04:51 AM

At age 50, at first it was sad, but then my hubbie and I discovered what freedom was!

No carpooling, no laundry, no meals at crazy hours, no noise, and personal time one on one again, without interuptions!

There are some really great benefits to the kids leaving.

My daughter became my friend! Once she married, set up her own home and started a family, she actually asked for my advice! We are closer now then ever, talk daily, sometimes more than that.

She tells me, "I get it now Mom", meaning she understands what being a wife and parent are and she is very grateful for the type of parents we were. That's the best gift she could have given me.

The biggest perk is I get to watch my Grandson while my daughter teaches. The second time around is so wonderful. We are in anticipation of another grandchild to arrive in early spring.

Life is good for this emptynester!
Old 08-21-2011, 04:57 AM

42-and loving every minute of it. Grandkids are now grown and great grands are coming on the scene. #1 is a year, #2 is a month, #3 will be born in a couple weeks and #4 will be in Sept. Once the kids were grown and basically on their own (out of high school that is-from then on they just visit) grin. Between school and jobs I saw very little of them -After marriage they were at a distance, until a couple years ago when the youngest son bought the house across the street. No not to close (grin) We both respect the street between the homes.
After the youngest was gone, I just kept quilting. Teaching, writing, etc etc. Now I am 72 and still not feeling the empty nest, just filled the hole with husband,friends, neighbors and quilting. Just think positive and enjoy the time your kids have to give you. they will be busy, but enjoy the times you have.
Old 08-21-2011, 05:25 AM
Power Poster

I was 38. Then a couple years later we got a foster daughter. She is now ours, and will graduate in 2012. :)
Old 08-21-2011, 05:28 AM

46, and I hate it because both of my chidren are so far away. Florida, yes it's a nice place to visit, but being a teacher I can only travel during school vacations, and the airfare prices quadruple during that time. AAARRRRRGGGGHHHH!!!
Old 08-21-2011, 05:28 AM
Power Poster

At age 47 - and it was wonderful for about the three months that it lasted!