Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What is the age you became an empty nester at? >

What is the age you became an empty nester at?

What is the age you became an empty nester at?

Old 08-21-2011, 05:29 AM

What an emotional subject for so many people.
I'm 51 and my youngest child leaves for college in 11 days. I have not been taking having my children become adults very well. My cherished roles of Mom and Daughter and Sister have all been disappearing at the same time, so I am struggling to find a new identity and new purposes for myself.
That's one of the reasons I have finally taken up quilting!
Old 08-21-2011, 05:38 AM

I am only a 1/2 empty nester-my daughter is married and lives away-my son is 29 and still lives with us-he has his own life comes and goes but doesn't make enough to have his own place. I really don't mind. My husband is retired but I'm still working. Oh I'm 60
Old 08-21-2011, 05:42 AM

I was 38 when son left for college and daughter went into the Navy. After college son also chose a military career. Now they are both retired and neither have ever married. My son did adopt a special needs 10 year old after he retired ( Patrick is now 14 ). But when they both left home I gained a sewing room and the time and money to take quilting classes and go on retreats. Since all three of us have retired I get to see a lot of them...
Old 08-21-2011, 05:54 AM

My kids both left home(for the first time - smile) the year I was 43 and my husband was 52. They have both returned a few times temporarily, but are now on their own for good. Didn't change much in our lives, except that I started going to bed earlier since I no longer had to wait up for them to come home. After about 7 years I put a sewing center in my daughter's room, but it is still used as a bedroom when she and her husband come home with my darling grand boy and girl. Now we've moved semi-permanently to Michigan. The kids never lived in this (small) house, but do come home to visit. I'm working on my sewing area upstairs........
Old 08-21-2011, 05:58 AM

The nest was empty at 49. The oldest had already given us a grandchild. Now there are four grandchildren so the house is very busy again, but I do have some quiet evenings and only have to cook and clean for DH and myself.
Old 08-21-2011, 06:02 AM

Freed from jail? I so miss my girls; I'd give anything to have them 'need me' again...
Originally Posted by Darlene
52 and it was like being freed from jail.
:cry:
Old 08-21-2011, 06:09 AM

Donna, my youngest moved out nearly a year ago. I just turned 59 and I can sympathize with you. I try to keep busy organizing and de-cluttering my house as we prepare to put it on the market. My husband wants to move to the mountains! My eldest lives 250 miles away and my youngest (both girls) lives an hour away. Both of them work crazy shifts so visits are few and far between though we do talk every day and sometimes Skype. I was laid off in March and was driving everyone crazy until I began quilting again, though I do feel quite un-needed and useless still. Perhaps we should hold hands and kick each other's rears!! You are not alone, I assure you!
Originally Posted by Up North
I am 58 and just became a total empty nester this year. I hate it!! I miss the kids coming and going and even though they stop in often it is just to quiet. I got laid off from my job two years ago so just find myself useless and unneeded right now. Hubby is still working, laid back and a homebody. I am even having a hard time sewing lately!! Give me a kick in the rear!! Enjoy your children! They grow up way to fast.
Old 08-21-2011, 06:09 AM

I was 46 when the first of our 4 daughters left, but I sure never felt any depression or sadness. :D A year and a half later we had our first precious grandson and filling up the nest that way is the best way. Each of the girls had a hook on the cellar steps for their coat and as each one left, I magic marked the day they left under their hook.

As far as not being able to keep up with your friends, don't try. Do what YOU love. I'm the only one of our friends who quilts. I never wanted to go back to school, unless it was quilting school. My husband is now retired and we have a blast doing what we want. We do what we want because WE CAN!!!! There is nothing as freeing and wonderful as that!!
Old 08-21-2011, 06:12 AM
gus

40 And love it, now just get the ones you borrow and send home(grand kids and nieces and nephews kids)
Old 08-21-2011, 06:13 AM

I was 38.