Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Are There Any Quilt Patterns That Give You The Creeps? >

Are There Any Quilt Patterns That Give You The Creeps?

Are There Any Quilt Patterns That Give You The Creeps?

Old 08-21-2011, 08:20 AM

[quote=Greenheron]
Originally Posted by ghostrider
Quilt patterns don't give me the creeps but the chocolate/aqua and faux retro color fabrics set my teeth on edge.
Amen !! I have trouble with the chocolate/aqua combination even though I have seen some great quilts with those colors. I also have trouble with the avacado and orange -- particularly in the kids panels (probably saw too much of it way back when . :D
Old 08-21-2011, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by misscarol
Can't think of any that give me the creeps!
Ditto!
Old 08-21-2011, 08:38 AM

Sunbonnet Sue!!Yuck
Old 08-21-2011, 08:44 AM

What a fascinating thread this is! I've seen (online) hundreds of quilts I admire but would not want to own, while some I actually covet; hundreds more I think are downright ugly but still like parts of; patterns and techniques that I dislike and then see made up in colors or combinations that I love. The styles I usually like, such as scrappy or bargello, have included some of the ugliest finished products as well as some of the most pleasing. If I ever make it to the point I can create art quilts I will consider myself accomplished, while thinking that some of the ones I've seen have been horrid. I've been collecting pictures and patterns I might like to make someday, and a few are (currently, might change ;) ) in my "Make These!" file. Wouldn't life be rather boring without all our variety and differences of opinion, as well as the opportunity to change preferences at will? Or as the plaque on my wall says, "I'm easy to get along with, as long as you do things my way." :mrgreen:
Old 08-21-2011, 08:44 AM

When I started quilting I said I would never be caught dead..making a "Sunbonnet Sue"..I still haven't (20) years and 7 GD's later !! However..I'm addicted to "Bargello's" and "Log Cabins"..as a designer..there is no end to what you can do with them..isn't the quilt world great..we're all different and it's fun ??
Old 08-21-2011, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by mom2boyz
Originally Posted by the casual quilter
I really don't like Convergence quilts. I think I saw too many of them when the book first came out.
This is one I've never heard of, or the book either. Anyone care to explain?
It's by Ricky Tims "Harmonic Convergence" you either love them or hate them..I loved them and taught classes for them..lol !!

This one hangs in a guest bathroom
[ATTACH=CONFIG]244699[/ATTACH]

This was a demo for a class
[ATTACH=CONFIG]244700[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-244693.jpe
Views:	47
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	244699   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-244694.jpe
Views:	52
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	244700  
Old 08-21-2011, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by nancy59
The quilts I view on this board are beautiful but I don't like the bargello and I do not understand yo-yo's.
I love Bargello's.. in a class on "History of Quilting" I learned then taught the "Yo Yo" was made with small amounts of fabrics and just orginially sewed to each other..then plain fabrics (sheets) in different colors could be laid on the bed and the Yo Yo laid on top.. just to be pretty..I'm not a fan of them !!
Old 08-21-2011, 09:23 AM

I really don't like Convergence quilts. I think I saw too many of them when the book first came out.
What, please, is a Convergence quilt?
Old 08-21-2011, 09:32 AM

Have to admit I like a lot of styles; Log Cabin,Dresden Plate(My mom's favorite design) Scrap quilts and bargellos (it doesn't necessarily mean I would make that last one), but the one the turns my stomach every time I see or hear it mentioned is the DRUNKARDS PATH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm sure it had to have been created because some poor 1800's housewife wanted to display her Disdain for her husband's like of the "ale".
Old 08-21-2011, 09:33 AM
Power Poster

There are pictures above your post...

Originally Posted by sandwich child
What, please, is a Convergence quilt?