Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Do you like the climate/weather where you live? >

Do you like the climate/weather where you live?

Do you like the climate/weather where you live?

Old 08-21-2011, 12:18 PM

I love it here in East Texas even though this summer has been so hot and broken records. We have just enough winter. It will warm up by February. I just don't like the cold any more.
Old 08-21-2011, 01:02 PM

Thank you, everyone for all your opinions. You have given me some new places to consider. I know that, being from California, I probably have a very wrong idea of what winters must be like in places like Michigan, Montana, Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire. I tend to imagine that those places live with 5 feet of snow for 6 months. I tend to think that there would be no way to have a vegetable garden in those places, so if I am wrong about some of those things, please set me straight.
Old 08-21-2011, 01:40 PM

My fathers able to have a veggie garden at his place in Idaho. He able to grow flowers that I can't because of the season changes. That's the one thing my husband misses being from MN - hard to grow tulips here.
Old 08-21-2011, 02:05 PM

I love living in Grand Junction Colorado! I wAs raised in Denver also lived in the Colorado mountains too, too much snow! Also lived in Florida, too hot and humid and no change of seAsons
grand junction has all 4 distinct seAsons with very mild but distinguisable winters, I think it,s the perfect climate
Old 08-21-2011, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by roselady
Thank you, everyone for all your opinions. You have given me some new places to consider. I know that, being from California, I probably have a very wrong idea of what winters must be like in places like Michigan, Montana, Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire. I tend to imagine that those places live with 5 feet of snow for 6 months. I tend to think that there would be no way to have a vegetable garden in those places, so if I am wrong about some of those things, please set me straight.
You're wrong. I have five foot tomato plants and have been eating off of them for about three weeks. Our neighbors have given me cabbage, eggplant, cukes, zukes and beans! I will admit that this year has been one of the most beautiful green, lush, beautiful colored flowers, shiny tree leaves, soft grass, I have ever seen in this State of Minnesota. The rain, the cool, the heat, the humm-a-ditty, the sun have played such an important part of our summer. Corn is ready. One problem there - the farmers are charging $5.00 a dozen. Not in my house! I get them cheaper at the store - fresh grown! I hear the Farmers Markets are flourishing this year with all the goodies to can, freeze, jell, jam and pickle. It's been one heckuva summer this summer. Edie
Old 08-21-2011, 02:16 PM

"NC would get my vote, too. Wilmington/Carolina Beach area would be my first pick. Ashville would be my second."

Asheville and surrounding areas are great. We have occasional snow Dec. through March, and it can get very hot in July-August (several days in low 90s this summer). Otherwise, the weather is great, and there are many things to do.
Old 08-21-2011, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Edie
Originally Posted by genafan201
I'm originally from Florida, living now in Minnesota, and I can honestly say...I DO NOT LIKE IT...

Like Jim above, I hate winter (which is about 8 months up here), and when summer finally gets here, the bugs come out...we have mosquitos and these biting gnats here, and believe it or not, growing up in Florida with summers spent in southern Alabama, I never knew gnats would bite till we moved here.

If someone told me I had to choose between two places to live, it would be Hawaii (for obvious reasons), or central Tennessee...I really like that area.
Bite your tongue!!!!!! We are known world wide for our Mosquitos. They are the size of an SST. Sound the same, also. We also have big black flies that bite the hell out of you. We have the most beautiful Monarch butterflies and around this time of year, the wasps come out - go to the Minnesota State Fair. You will learn about our wasps that cling around the trash cans. They hurt! The sound of the Cicadas this time of the year is like a mourning song, ending the summer and preparing for winter. It is a beautiful sound. The sunrises and sunsets are so pretty. Except when we are getting ready for a good old fashioned gully-washer. Then the skies are green! Minnesota is the greatest state of all. It is probably the cleanest state in the union, relatively no air pollution, the people are helpful, most are kind and giving. We have skiing, snowboarding, ice fishing, the Winter Carnival in St. Paul and summer Aquatennial in Minneapolis (we live on the east side of the river) so there is a little friendly jealousy going on back and forth. Actually, I don't like Minneapolis, there streets are alphabetical. Our streets are named after Universities, Hamline, Wellesley, Stanford, famous scientists like Pascal, streets named after the contractor of a new addition's granddaughter like Melodie Lane or something that will go down for generations "My great grandpa named this street after me". That's St. Paul. We have great fishing here, Lake Mille Lacs, where the best Walleye in the world is caught. We have Minnesota Nice and that is great. Except for thems that don't like your driving 45 miles per hour in a 45 mph speed zone - should really be going about 65 or 70. That, we call keeping up with traffic. Gotta do that - Can't call it 25 mph over the speed limit. We have the greatest neighbors in the world. We are always there to help whenever necessary or for whatever, no questions asked. Anyone say to you "Could you do me a favor?" We never say "What", we always say "Sure". We have lived in our neighborhood for the 51 years we have been married, never thought of moving out of the neighborhood. Good grief, we share everything. Except our spouses, but then our spouses are so great, who would want to. Then they could never be neighbors or friends!!!!!!!

I will also admit one more thing. We are surrounded by super neighbors, well almost surrounded, North Dakota, South Dakota, Iowa and Wisconsin. Basically, they are like we are. It is a joy to visit their states for vacations which actually we do. What would surround our state then would be Canada and they serve McDonald French Fries with vinegar. We use catsup, and lots of it.

We have other sports in Minnesota - We have the Vikings, the Twins, the Wild and the Timberwolves. We have iceskating rinks and warming houses. We have snow shoveling in the winter and lawnmowing in the summer. I have learned that if you mow your own yard, you can walk close to a mile, which is 2,000 steps which equals 100 calories and that is good for an ice cream cone. We have Grand Old Days, we have the Marathon in October that is probably the most beautiful marathon in the whole United States. We have the Science Museum, the Museum of Natural History, we have a Railroad Roundhouse museum ("Head for the roundhouse, Nellie. He can't corner you there!"). We have the Mississippi River and most important, the headwaters of the Mississippi. We are the home of 3M.

One more thing, what I love the most about St. Paul is that they roll up the rugs and turn off the lights around 9:00 PM and are up again around 5:00 AM. That's my Minnesota!!!!! Edie
I'll bet you always consider your glass half full, too.
Old 08-21-2011, 02:52 PM

Wherever you decide to go, spend some time there in all the different times of the year. I am Coos Bay on Oregon's south coast and we are very temperate, range from below freezing at times in the winter (sometimes we even get snow, then the roads are full of people who should not be driving)up to over 100 degrees in the early fall, but we have a saying here,"if you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes, it will change. It is not that bad, but nothing extreme lasts for very long... I have lived in S California , eastern Oregon and on the coast, and the only place I would return to is eastern oregon. my daughter is there and it has 4 seasons, and nothing lasts forever. Get a chance to travel and enjoy it all, then decide.
Old 08-21-2011, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by BobbiG
Originally Posted by Edie
Originally Posted by genafan201
I'm originally from Florida, living now in Minnesota, and I can honestly say...I DO NOT LIKE IT...

Like Jim above, I hate winter (which is about 8 months up here), and when summer finally gets here, the bugs come out...we have mosquitos and these biting gnats here, and believe it or not, growing up in Florida with summers spent in southern Alabama, I never knew gnats would bite till we moved here.

If someone told me I had to choose between two places to live, it would be Hawaii (for obvious reasons), or central Tennessee...I really like that area.
Bite your tongue!!!!!! We are known world wide for our Mosquitos. They are the size of an SST. Sound the same, also. We also have big black flies that bite the hell out of you. We have the most beautiful Monarch butterflies and around this time of year, the wasps come out - go to the Minnesota State Fair. You will learn about our wasps that cling around the trash cans. They hurt! The sound of the Cicadas this time of the year is like a mourning song, ending the summer and preparing for winter. It is a beautiful sound. The sunrises and sunsets are so pretty. Except when we are getting ready for a good old fashioned gully-washer. Then the skies are green! Minnesota is the greatest state of all. It is probably the cleanest state in the union, relatively no air pollution, the people are helpful, most are kind and giving. We have skiing, snowboarding, ice fishing, the Winter Carnival in St. Paul and summer Aquatennial in Minneapolis (we live on the east side of the river) so there is a little friendly jealousy going on back and forth. Actually, I don't like Minneapolis, there streets are alphabetical. Our streets are named after Universities, Hamline, Wellesley, Stanford, famous scientists like Pascal, streets named after the contractor of a new addition's granddaughter like Melodie Lane or something that will go down for generations "My great grandpa named this street after me". That's St. Paul. We have great fishing here, Lake Mille Lacs, where the best Walleye in the world is caught. We have Minnesota Nice and that is great. Except for thems that don't like your driving 45 miles per hour in a 45 mph speed zone - should really be going about 65 or 70. That, we call keeping up with traffic. Gotta do that - Can't call it 25 mph over the speed limit. We have the greatest neighbors in the world. We are always there to help whenever necessary or for whatever, no questions asked. Anyone say to you "Could you do me a favor?" We never say "What", we always say "Sure". We have lived in our neighborhood for the 51 years we have been married, never thought of moving out of the neighborhood. Good grief, we share everything. Except our spouses, but then our spouses are so great, who would want to. Then they could never be neighbors or friends!!!!!!!

I will also admit one more thing. We are surrounded by super neighbors, well almost surrounded, North Dakota, South Dakota, Iowa and Wisconsin. Basically, they are like we are. It is a joy to visit their states for vacations which actually we do. What would surround our state then would be Canada and they serve McDonald French Fries with vinegar. We use catsup, and lots of it.

We have other sports in Minnesota - We have the Vikings, the Twins, the Wild and the Timberwolves. We have iceskating rinks and warming houses. We have snow shoveling in the winter and lawnmowing in the summer. I have learned that if you mow your own yard, you can walk close to a mile, which is 2,000 steps which equals 100 calories and that is good for an ice cream cone. We have Grand Old Days, we have the Marathon in October that is probably the most beautiful marathon in the whole United States. We have the Science Museum, the Museum of Natural History, we have a Railroad Roundhouse museum ("Head for the roundhouse, Nellie. He can't corner you there!"). We have the Mississippi River and most important, the headwaters of the Mississippi. We are the home of 3M.

One more thing, what I love the most about St. Paul is that they roll up the rugs and turn off the lights around 9:00 PM and are up again around 5:00 AM. That's my Minnesota!!!!! Edie
I'll bet you always consider your glass half full, too.
Yah, I do!!!!!!!! Edie
Old 08-21-2011, 03:14 PM

FLORIDA - Ugh!! Only fit for humans (and most animals), six months of the year/