Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Are There Any Quilt Patterns That Give You The Creeps? >

Are There Any Quilt Patterns That Give You The Creeps?

Are There Any Quilt Patterns That Give You The Creeps?

Old 08-21-2011, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by quiltmom04
Originally Posted by Krystyna
Originally Posted by Sadiemae
I think the "negativity" comes from the term "gives me the creeps". We all have our preferences.
Didn't mean to be negative, but they really do. It is something visceral. I truly can't look at them and find them disturbing. Like I said I don't know why. But after having this reaction again and again over the last few months, I decided to ask if anyone else felt that way.
There are patterns that I don't care for - although those are far and few between - but nothing that elicits the strong sensation that a bargello does. It's very peculiar.
I probably shouldn't answer this with MY avatar, but 30's and 40's stuff has the same effect on me. I'm not sure why. And that one piece pattern that some call "apple core" I think looks like mini-pads!
Is the apple core block the same as the thimbles block? I don't like it because it is too plain and I would much rather see more of a variety of shapes and colors. I think these types show off your talent more.

Thank goodness we all have different likes and dislikes. Wouldn't it be a dull world if we all liked the same things???
Old 08-21-2011, 04:59 PM

This is just too funny a topic, because it seems, that the bargello and log cabin are really taking the hits, and I just finished a THINKING OUTSIDE THE BOX log cabin pattern, my first log cabin, and went straight to work on a bargello. I know that I will do the log cabin again, but the bargello, it is really giving me a headache. Maybe when I get done, I will like it, but right now, not so much. But, as far as actual patterns, I love all patterns, but know that there are some I would never do, so I just admire someone else's talents and find my own nook.
Old 08-21-2011, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by rosemary krupski
Is the apple core block the same as the thimbles block? I don't like it because it is too plain and I would much rather see more of a variety of shapes and colors. I think these types show off your talent more.

Thank goodness we all have different likes and dislikes. Wouldn't it be a dull world if we all liked the same things???
No, the apple core block is not the same as the thimbles block. The apple core block is made from 2 different fabrics in each block and the thimble (I call it "tumbler" ) block is just a whole bunch blocks that are all the same shape but are different colors. I made one about 20 yrs ago and I'm getting ready to make another one. I love them! I am also considering making a postage stamp quilt :shock:

I love scrap quilts, crumb quilts and log cabins...lol! I even like to see the storybook version of a scrap quilt in a children's story book....you know the quilt that always seems to cover whichever child is in bed, in the story :lol: I know, weird, huh?

I see lots of quilts that I don't think that I would like to attempt but I still like to look at pictures of them.

I don't know if this is related to the people that are creeped out by certain patterns or sharp points but many years ago when I was going through a rough time in my life and suffered from anxiety/panic attacks, I couldn't look at old buildings. Not sure what it was but I would start to feel anxiety just by looking at the architecture of old buildings. I don't feel that way now but still remember how it made me feel, then.
Old 08-21-2011, 05:19 PM

I have read every post on all 14 pages! Isn't it wonderful that we can agree to disagree. I"m not fond of OBW's, too busy for me. I promise I will never make one, but that doesn't stop me from looking and admiring every picture on the board. Might miss something if I don't look!
Old 08-21-2011, 05:23 PM

I like to see everyone's individual take on a pattern and the color that I have seen some of you come you with make me rethink the patterns I did not like when I started. You are one bunch of talened people.
Old 08-21-2011, 05:35 PM

I don't like crumb or crazy quilts. I do love scrappy quilts as well as the totally controlled color quilts. I HATE Sunbonnet Sue, but Naughty Sue is fun. Not thrilled by Turning Twenty...they are a bit boring.
Old 08-21-2011, 05:37 PM

I don't like any kind of patterns with set-in seam I see those and I run for higher ground.
Old 08-21-2011, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Krystyna
Good to know I'm not alone!
Looks like you are not alone about bargellos - but, I really do like the way some of the log cabins are put together though. Some are striking. Colors and layout placement play a huge factor for one to appeal to me. Scrappy quilts I'm not too crazy about either.

I like the simplicity of just two or even just a few fabrics in a quilt design. But I have done quilts with more than just a few fabrics. The bargello fabric assortment is just way too much for me. Although I've seen a few bargellos on this site that I did think were beautiful. Go figure!
Old 08-21-2011, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by katesnanna
Dresden Plates right from the start, don't know why.
Me too. And my daughter doesn't like them either. I don't see the why to make them.
Old 08-21-2011, 06:12 PM

I don't care for the bargello either. It just does not do anything for me.