Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hand quilting: achieving high stitch-per-inch count >

Hand quilting: achieving high stitch-per-inch count

Hand quilting: achieving high stitch-per-inch count

Old 08-22-2011, 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by Vanuatu Jill
Great posts-and since I am MOSTLY a hand quilter (for 10 years) I still feel like I need improvement. I get around 7-8 stitches per inch, but they are pretty consistant. I actually LIKE the way it looks-you can tell it is hand-quilted and the stitches are part of the whole design of the quilts in most cases. I try to use a thread that will show a bit, instead of melting into the background. BTW, the usual term used for putting several stitches on the needle before pulling the thread through is "stacking", the process of putting the needle thru the fabric top and angling back and forth to catch the underneath stitch before coming back up is "rocking". At least, that is how I learned it. I usually "stack" 3-4 stitches on the needle and then pull them all through. I use a size 10 between needle, and a hoop, with the quilt sandwich loose.
I cannot tel you how many times in the past my hand pieced hand quilted quilted received comments on the very nice machine stitching. Discouraging.
Old 08-22-2011, 03:28 AM

wow hinterland...i love your explanation! I just started hand quilting again this weekend after a long break. It takes awhile to achieve 12 stitches to the inch...i don't go for the gold. the act of doing and the relaxation it brings is a reward.
Old 08-22-2011, 03:35 AM

First, let me say I'm enjoying this thread very much. I'm another one that uses W&N without knowing that (at the beginning, anyhow) it was supposed to be so difficult to 'needle'. I really have no problems with it and it's all I've ever used. Having said that, I have handled silk batting at a show once and would love to try that but talk about expensive - WOW!

I use Roxanne needles - usually #12, sometimes #11. I use whatever thread brand has the color I want as I want the quilting to show most of the time. If I'm putting that much work into something I want it to be seen! I also use the Thimblelady thimble. Very comfortable with very deep dimples. I've actually worn one out already. I have the stainless steel. Find them a bit more economical than the Roxanne thimbles.

I've never counted my stitches but they are consistent. Probably in the neighborhood of 8-10. I do find that the smaller the needle, the more SPI I can achieve. My sandwich is relatively loose in the hoop. Definitely easier 'rocking' and 'stacking' when it's on the loose side.
I can usually stack 3-5 stitches at a time. And yes, when quilting over an open section I can get more stitches and more consistent stitches than when crossing seams or stitching in the ditch. Working on a Carpenter's Wheel just now that I want the fabric and quilt design to do the speaking so I'm only doing in the ditch. Hope to have that completed this week.

I love handquilting. I find it very relaxing. I've always done some sort of handwork all my life. I finally came to the conclusion that you can only have so much cross stitching or needlepoint in your home. Quilting fills both my love of machine sewing (piecing) and handwork (quilting). Since I usually make large, bed-sized quilts I'm not overwhelmed with the volume of pieces I have. Plus I've given away just about every quilt I've made so far. I think I'm finally getting to some UFO's that will stay home!
Old 08-22-2011, 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by applique
I cannot tel you how many times in the past my hand pieced hand quilted quilted received comments on the very nice machine stitching. Discouraging.
That would be. I can't see myself ever quilting that neatly.
My only hand-quilted quilt is still on the frame. My stitching is obviously not skilled. Oh, well.
Old 08-22-2011, 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts
don't use Warm & Natural batting, that's for sure. I am using that now with a customer's quilt and it feels thick. I am used to a light polyester.

I just try to keep the stitches small, and don't worry about the count. Are you going for 12 per inch on one side?
Thats funny you would say this. I am using the warm and natural and find it wonderful to hand quilt with. Just goes to show that everyone has their own likes and dislikes. As far as the stitches, you use the betweens and take it slow.
Old 08-22-2011, 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter
First, let me say I'm enjoying this thread very much. I'm another one that uses W&N without knowing that (at the beginning, anyhow) it was supposed to be so difficult to 'needle'. I really have no problems with it and it's all I've ever used. Having said that, I have handled silk batting at a show once and would love to try that but talk about expensive - WOW!

I use Roxanne needles - usually #12, sometimes #11. I use whatever thread brand has the color I want as I want the quilting to show most of the time. If I'm putting that much work into something I want it to be seen! I also use the Thimblelady thimble. Very comfortable with very deep dimples. I've actually worn one out already. I have the stainless steel. Find them a bit more economical than the Roxanne thimbles.

I've never counted my stitches but they are consistent. Probably in the neighborhood of 8-10. I do find that the smaller the needle, the more SPI I can achieve. My sandwich is relatively loose in the hoop. Definitely easier 'rocking' and 'stacking' when it's on the loose side.
I can usually stack 3-5 stitches at a time. And yes, when quilting over an open section I can get more stitches and more consistent stitches than when crossing seams or stitching in the ditch. Working on a Carpenter's Wheel just now that I want the fabric and quilt design to do the speaking so I'm only doing in the ditch. Hope to have that completed this week.

I love handquilting. I find it very relaxing. I've always done some sort of handwork all my life. I finally came to the conclusion that you can only have so much cross stitching or needlepoint in your home. Quilting fills both my love of machine sewing (piecing) and handwork (quilting). Since I usually make large, bed-sized quilts I'm not overwhelmed with the volume of pieces I have. Plus I've given away just about every quilt I've made so far. I think I'm finally getting to some UFO's that will stay home!
DITTO
Old 08-22-2011, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by Hinterland
Andrea "BorntoHandQuilt" will probably stop in on this thread and point you to a very helpful tutorial she posted about hand quilting. She does a fabulous job, one tiny stitch at a time. I use the rocking stitch method, and get between 12 and 14 stitches.

What you need to do is stack the deck for smaller stitches. To do this, I use certain things that have worked well for me:

1. Needles: I use a size 11 between. Right now, I like John James and Richard Hemmings. It is worth trying different needles because they react differently to pressure. For example, my last batch of Roxanne betweens slipped through the sandwich so quickly I stabbed my finger.

2. Thimble: I use a Roxanne or a TJ Lane thimble. They both have deep dimples that hold the needle without letting it slip around. Slipping = long stitches.

3. Batting: I get the smallest stitches when I use polyester batting, although I do a good job with cotton too. My experience with Warm and Natural hasn't been good, so I avoid any batting with scrim.

4. Backing: I use muslin. While I love to use batiks on the top and have no trouble hand quilting them, batik on the back is too much stiffness.

5. Tension: when I have the sandwich in the hoop or on the frame, I keep it loose. If it is too tight, there is not enough flex in it to make a good stitch. If you use a hoop, it should look like the cat just sat on it.

6. Stitches: Stitching on the bias is easier than on the straight of grain. If you stitch on the straight of grain, loosen the tension even more.

7. Practice: I didn't start out quilting 12 stitches per inch. I got there over time. Even now I still read anything I find on hand quilting and try new needles, because I never know when I'll find a hint that will make my hand quilting even better.

Janet
Janet, Good information. I use Roxanne thimble and John James 10 -12 between needles
Please try Quilters Dream cotton batting no scrim your needle glides thru (sold at Quilt Shops)
Old 08-22-2011, 04:37 AM

Hi Jillian,

I am up to a 9 stitch count by using the rocking method. It came by no secret method other than practicing. Grab a quilt sandwich and just practice. Start by trying to get 6 stitches and slowly increase as you get comfortable.

Best of luck

Jasmin
Old 08-22-2011, 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by applique
I think that's a compliment to you!

Janet
Old 08-22-2011, 04:38 AM

The one thing I haven't seen mentioned is Tiger Tape. When I started out handquilting I purchased the 9 per inch and played with that. I would make a sandwich and lay the tape down and practice going up and down with the markings. You sort of start feeling the rythym of the rocking motion of the stitch. Then its practice, practice, practice.

I agree that poly is easier to needle, but I do needle W&N and my stitches aren't as small. Also, as already stated, you need to make sure that the quilt in the hoop is loose or you'll really have a devil of a time. I use my fist to gauge the looseness.

Since you're just starting off really, why not train yourself with the Aunt Becky? I'm thinking of trying to convert myself over this as my carpal tunnel hasn't been too good for hand quilting lately and there's much less movement of the right hand.

Good Luck!