Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Are There Any Quilt Patterns That Give You The Creeps? >

Are There Any Quilt Patterns That Give You The Creeps?

Are There Any Quilt Patterns That Give You The Creeps?

Old 08-22-2011, 02:49 AM
Swap Hosts

raedar63, I do hope you will post photos of your quilts. The people on this board are so incredibly supportive. I am no master quilter and never will be, so I was very nervous about posting a photo the first time. I got the most wonderful support even though the fabric I used was considered "creepy" by a few -- paisley! But like the patterns that some of us don't like, it gave a few paisley-dislikers a new look at that pattern. So please, post away. I always make a point of posting when I see "my first quilt" or "my first post" to lend encouragement and I know everyone else does as well.

So ... we're waiting! :-D
Old 08-22-2011, 05:13 AM

I haven't been creeped by any patterns yet, but I don't particularly care for quilts made with panels. Not because they are not beautiful, but because I like the challenge of cutting out and piecing together several pieces of fabric to make a prettier pattern.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by purple_butterfly
I think whether I like or dislike a quilt depends more on the colour choices rather than the actual pattern but I have to say I'm not really a fan of sampler quilts...and after reading eveyone's replies it seems I'm the only one :?
I also don't like sampler quilts -- as if they didn't have time to plan anything and threw a little of this and little of that into the mix.

This may be slightly off-topic, but I am getting really turned off by quilt shows. In general, most of the quilts are either art quilts or the quilting is so dense, that you can't appreciate the underlying pattern. The quilting should enhance the pattern, not overwhelm it. Even though I never enter my quilts into shows, sometimes the shows just discourage me, by making me think that my efforts will not ever match these wonderful pieces.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:28 AM

I also do not like bargellos.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:15 AM

It amazes me how an innocent topic can turn into a cat fight. Maybe "creeps" wasn't the best word to use but I'm sure she meant "don't like" or "extremely don't like".

I enjoy viewing all the quilts shown on the board. Some aren't my style but I appreciate the work that has gone into them and sometimes they inspire me to try something I haven't done before.

Therefore, I must restate my earlier post. I am not a big fan of the quilts I listed. I mentioned scrappy quilts but I must amend this comment also. I like them when the scrappiness is broken up with a solid color. I guess my idea of the scrappy I don't like are the ones that are just too busy. Makes my eyes go all wonky!
Old 08-22-2011, 06:33 AM

There are styles I don't like, Dresden, Sun Bonnet Sue, and anything with circles; don't really know why. I may not like the pattern or even the fabric chosen but I do LOVE looking at all the different interpretations of each quilt. I will probably never do a dresden but I do appreciate the skill that is involved in making one. I'm new to quilting and each time I get on this board I see or learn something new, or see a pattern like the log cabin done in an entirely new way that I would never have thought of. We must agree to disagree and just enjoy the beauty of each others work.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:43 AM

Golly, I really dislike liver, calamari gives me the creeps and I can't even think about eating sushi...but none of that would stop me from sitting at the table and enjoying your company while you chow down on any of those dishes. :D

With one glaring tasteless exception, this discussion of divergent tastes in quilts is as simple as that.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:03 AM
Swap Hosts

Originally Posted by ghostrider
Golly, I really dislike liver, calamari gives me the creeps and I can't even think about eating sushi...but none of that would stop me from sitting at the table and enjoying your company while you chow down on any of those dishes. :D

With one glaring tasteless exception, this discussion of divergent tastes in quilts is as simple as that.
As far as the dinner table goes, early on I taught my husband and son an important point: "Don't yuck my yum!"
Old 08-22-2011, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by Krystyna

As far as the dinner table goes, early on I taught my husband and son an important point: "Don't yuck my yum!"
I'm soooooooo lucky I didn't just take a drink of my milk 'cause it woulda come out my nose!!! LOL!!!
Old 08-22-2011, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by BigDog
I cannot stand scrap quilts...any scrap pattern at all. "Random" just doesn't fit my style. I'd rather eat worms than make one. :oops: :lol:
Ditto that. Talk about messy. I'd rather eat worms than look at one.
The scrappy quilts made by my best friend are really nice and I admire them but I can't see myself making one, they aren't my style at all, so she gets all my scraps and every now and then, she repays me by giving me a couple yards of something beautiful in a color that she knows I will use.