Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Anyone else who did or is not becoming an empty nester till they are well into their 60 ies? >

Anyone else who did or is not becoming an empty nester till they are well into their 60 ies?

Anyone else who did or is not becoming an empty nester till they are well into their 60 ies?

Old 08-21-2011, 04:15 PM

I have 3 kids. DD is 28, 1st DS is 26,then at age 32 I had a surprise. 2nd DS is 18. So that makes me 50. He plans to go to the local community college this yr.So I have one more year till I'm an empty nester.
Old 08-21-2011, 04:41 PM

I admire those of you who have the patience and discipline to home school. I always thought I would home school my kids... until I had kids! I have a very strong suspicion that it would be absolute chaos!
Old 08-21-2011, 05:43 PM

Sorry it posted twice.
Old 08-21-2011, 05:43 PM

In 51 years of marriage we have maybe had an empty nest about 3 years. Beside "boomarang" kids, for short periods of time, we have been raising 2 grandkids. The last is 18 and has special needs so don't know that we will ever have an empty nest. We also have my 91 year old mother. God has blest us with the energy and means to do this so we have no complaints.
Old 08-22-2011, 01:33 AM

I have a 21 yr old girl already moved out on her own. A 19 yr old boy, a 4 1/2 yr old boy, and a 3 yr old girl at home. I split them up pretty well. Oldest ones Dad died yrs ago. Met my DH 7 yrs ago and had 2 more. I love all my babies.
Old 08-22-2011, 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by gloria11
if you get into being a foster parent and then adopt it doesn't cost to adopt. And we have family issues to with a couple of our older ones, I hope and pray that someday we can all be together again without the problems also. And yes its great having a Large family. I always wanted a lot of sisters and brothers growing up. my 2 sibs were a lot older than me, so it was like being raised as an only. so I've always wanted a big family.
Funny you should mention foster care....my husband was talking about it at the dinner table last night....hmmmm......
Old 08-22-2011, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by kaykwilts
Originally Posted by gloria11
if you get into being a foster parent and then adopt it doesn't cost to adopt. And we have family issues to with a couple of our older ones, I hope and pray that someday we can all be together again without the problems also. And yes its great having a Large family. I always wanted a lot of sisters and brothers growing up. my 2 sibs were a lot older than me, so it was like being raised as an only. so I've always wanted a big family.
Funny you should mention foster care....my husband was talking about it at the dinner table last night....hmmmm......
We have adopted two children internationally from Vietnam and a sib set of three from the NM foster care system and I have to say that both ways are equally rigorous in their standards that have to be met and both ways have their pro's and con's.

Going into fostering with the intent to adopt is a wonderful way to grow your family. IF you go into it knowing that it is a process and the first kid or kids you take in may not be the child(ren) you end up adopting.

You would, however, be supplying a child in desperate need of love and stability, just that for the possibly the first time in his or her life.

My only regret in adopting out of the foster system is that we did not start earlier in our lives. There are so many children in need of a loving family.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:32 AM

I have six children, 25yr. old who had a son, no wife. A 23 yr. old who has a husband and a daughter. A 20 yr old who is in college. A 17 yr old who is a senior and my 3rd and 2nd. grader. I am also 47 years old and will be close to sixty before they leave depending on life.
Old 08-26-2011, 09:39 AM

We're ending a long summer of youngest 23 at home. He graduated in spring and hopes to get into a grad program somewhere. Next week he returns to his college town to wait for the next chapter in his life. I keep warning him to find a refrigerator box so he can live under a bridge. (kidding) Our oldest 28 is still home after 4 years at college. If AND when she gets a job in forensics, we hope that she can stay in the area, because she is diabetic and needs help for emergency illnesses. She had that a month ago with an intestinal infection - 3 days in the hospital and a week to recover. The middle child is employed and just bought his own house (with our help). He's 3 miles from us and it is just a little too close. He still stops in and looks through the frig after playing hockey. Or he calls here so Dad can run down to feed his two dogs and let them out. I'd really like to get rid of all their "stuff" that is stored here. It is cramping my sewing area. DH retired 4 years ago at 56 and I was 52. It seems like the house is always full. I was alone more when they were in school.

We do belong to an "Empty Nester" group at church. But our only rule for membership is "your youngest child must have graduated from high school." We all know they can return....
Old 08-26-2011, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by jraff
He's 3 miles from us and it is just a little too close.
This cracks me up! Hubby and I moved out of our parents houses when we were 18 (my parents were 41 and 38)- and I was determined that I was out for good -- I would have taken the refridgerator box before I went back. Now I have kids, I may reconsider that but luckily I haven't had too. We did go stay with his parents for a week or so when the house we were moving into wasn't vacant when expected. We spent a week in a hotel, and when they still weren't out we were invited to stay with my inlaws, knowing it was VERY temporary.