Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you take photos of your work? >

Do you take photos of your work?

Do you take photos of your work?

Old 08-22-2011, 06:50 AM

in the past I didn't, but I am now!
Old 08-22-2011, 06:54 AM

Yes, on my flickr site and in a photo album, so I can take it with me when I teach crazy quilt classes.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60882932@N06/
Old 08-22-2011, 09:45 AM

I take photos and keep in a notebook. Has been really a neat thing for me.
Old 08-22-2011, 01:54 PM

Yes, I take a picture of everything I make, and staple it into a spiral notebook for the year. I note the size, and to w3hom it went, and when. This almost has become a diary
Old 08-22-2011, 02:20 PM

I used to keep printed photos of my cross-stitch and needlepoint pieces that I did for others. I just keep computer files of pictures of my quilting output right now.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:20 PM

i have a book to keep my pictures of quilts i have made. i don't take a picture of each one, but do with a lot of them.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by mizsandy
And keep a record of them? I just realized that I have made some quilts and pillow cases and didn't keep a photo record of them. I don't have a photo of a pillow case made for a son-in-law, or any extra material , and wanted to remember what I gave to who! For those who keep a record, do you just keep it on the computer in a file or do you make an actual book out of them? Thanks for ansering.
I take pic. of mine and try to keep them in a small 'grandma' type photo album. When I can I take a pic. of the one I give the quilt to. I also use my camera to take pics when working on a quilt, especially when putting it together, to see how it looks. pics really can tell you just how it does look and if you need to change any blocks in the quilt. I have a sheet, I haven't used that much but it gives you a neat history of each quilt you make. I need to get one done for each quilt. I can't remember where I found it, but give me a couple of days and pm me and I will send you a copy. If anyone else would like a copy, let me know and I will try and get it posted on the board.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:17 AM

I take photos of finished projects, who got them, for what reason, the pattern I used, fabric line (if possible), size of the quilt, total yardage used, and the COST of fabric (current retail price - NOTSALE PRICE), thread, batting, long-arm quilting fee (if relevant). I have had to re-create only a few quilts which were stolen from the owner during a move, and this information came in handy for the insurance company's replacement cost payment.

If I a technique or fabric/pattern combination is giving me heartburn, I will photograph the steps to get me out of the construction mess. I had to do this with a quilt of leftover 2.5" flannel squares - the bulkiness was giving me fits at the seamlines.

If I think I'd be willing to teach ths pattern or technique, I take pictures of the steps as well to include in my directions for the class.
Old 08-26-2011, 12:31 PM

I keep a binder with pictures and samples of the fabrics and add a few details such as date made, for whom, pattern, etc.
Old 08-26-2011, 01:05 PM

I do take pictures but I never put a date on them. That's a good idea.