Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Am I the only one who doesn't  want a long arm? What..... >

Am I the only one who doesn't want a long arm? What.....

Am I the only one who doesn't want a long arm? What.....

Old 08-22-2011, 08:07 AM

I sure wanted one. I purchased the Nolting MAQ (mid arm) for $3200.00, had to buy separate bobbin winder ($200) ruler base ($75). It does not have a stitch regulator either. I now have a renewed respect for those longarmers! I am not a natural and it takes a lot of work and frustration for me to get going! Don't think I will ever be able to make money with it, but that's not why I bought it. So lots of practice!
Old 08-22-2011, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by amandasgramma
I was like you -- never thought I'd spend the money. Even figured out how many quilts I'd have to do for myself to get it paid for....NOOOOO!!!! WELL, a friend decided to move to Arizona and asked me to babysit his. :) :) I'm HOOKED! I love figuring out what design to do and playing on my TOY! Yes, expensive --- but I've always been frugal, never had much in my life and and and -- yeah, searching for reasons to have paid that much....:) Come to think of it -- DH paid $8000 for a new boat .......yeah, I can buy me a machine that cost $9000. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I had the same thinking as you. I didn't have a hobby until I started quilting 2+ years ago, all the funds went toward family. After the kids left home not only did I have more space, empty bedrooms, but more money too. What I paid for my longarm is definitely more than I have spent on anything for myself ever and anyone that knows me would find it difficult to believe I would have spent that much. My husband supported me getting the longarm and has told me how proud he is of me for the quilts I have completed. I also counted how many quilts I would need to do to break even as opposed to taking them to a longarmer. I figured 40 quilts, I have completed 4 and will be loading another sometime this week. My quilting isn't fantastic but I'm OK with my progress.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:11 AM

I have a Voyager 17 with SLR and a Hinterberg frame. I spent about $4,000 in '08 for the setup. I enjoy using it, (after the usual learning curve), but never planned on using it to do quilts for anyone other than me.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by AlwaysQuilting
I don't really want one either. I figure for the price it costs with the frame, stitch regulator and all the other bells and whistles I can send a lot of tops out to be quilted for a long time.
LOL so far all the posts appear to be in possession of 301A sooooooo do we own them or do they own us ? are we so spoiled by the excellent stitch quality...............

anyway have to admit if i won the lottery and money was not an issue one of the first things on the buy list would be a millineum and real quickly a house to put it in !!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-22-2011, 08:32 AM

You can buy a Bailey 17" for $2500 and a top of the line Grace Imperial frame for $2000 (Cdn). and have a LOT of fun doing your own quilts at your leisure without the hassle of fighting them under the throat of a domestic machine. For me, that fight took all the pleasure out of quilting.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:37 AM

Im a new quilter and the long arm doesnt interest me at all as Im learning so many other new things. My husband (who does not quilt) wants one and is always hovering over the one at JoAnns. Since we live in a mobile home and I have taken over the dining area for my sewing room, I have informed him that he wont be able to see his tv with is long arm in the way. LOL

Originally Posted by deedum
Am I the only one who doesn't want a long arm? What am I missing? I would never spend the money that it takes to buy one and I am perfectly happy quilting on my old machine. Am I the only one?
Old 08-22-2011, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by deedum
Am I the only one who doesn't want a long arm? What am I missing? I would never spend the money that it takes to buy one and I am perfectly happy quilting on my old machine. Am I the only one?
Nope! But am not going to quilt anything except something very small on my machine. The rest go to the professional longarmer. froggyintexas
Old 08-22-2011, 08:42 AM

I can't imagine anyone who doesn't want one, but, money-wise, I don't imagine many can afford them. What amazes me are the numbers of those who do have one.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:50 AM
mim

with so many good LAers around, it is sort of like buying a new car to save on gas money

Just my opinion -- Mim
Old 08-22-2011, 08:54 AM

I bought my frame used, initially, and put one of my domestic machines on it. Later I added a long arm with stitch regulator, lollipop (extension for ruler work) and additional feet for less than $3200. I have about $3800, including rulers, into it. Going by my LQS long arm pricing It will pay for it's self pretty quickly. Actually at the rate I make quilts it will have paid for it's self by the time I make the last payment. Totally worth it in my opinion. PLUS it's super fun!! Just another area of the craft where you can really let your creativity soar.

I should add that the Bailey comes in smaller sizes (less $$) and it can also be used at a table just like the Sixteen from HQ. There is something for everyone in the Bailey Home Quilter lineup. No, I do not work for them, I just love them!