Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Long arm quilter disaster >

Long arm quilter disaster

Long arm quilter disaster

Old 08-22-2011, 08:04 AM

YES!! She should tell the LAQ that she's not happy and ask for her money back. Then she can have a "picking party" and her quilting friends can help her pick all the quilting out of it and she can have it redone or do it herself.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:31 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by NatalieMacDonald
Same thing happened to me. I brought it to the LAQ's atten tion and she explained she was training a new LAQ. She took the quilt back and literally picked out the whole queen size quilt and re-quilted it. I looked for permanent needle holes but it was okay and I really appreciated her work.
She was training a new quilter ON YOUR QUILT? And then didn't look at her work when she was finished, before giving it to you? I would say this woman is a liar, and would never use her again. She was going to see if her substandard work would "pass" or if you would complain, before doing anything about it.

For bad work I would refuse to pay, or ask for money back. I would take the bad sts out myself, because I wouldn't trust the quilter to take them out without botching my quilt, and making holes in it. Sad.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:44 AM

It is a pen size hair trimmer about 6 inches long that you can get at Wal-Mart or Walgreens. It runs on a AA or AAA battery. Sells for $9-20.00. Some have a pivoting head but I prefer the ones that don't. They are made to vibrate to cut but will not cut fingers and the way the head is shaped the material cannot slip into the slots and reach the blade but the quilting threads slip in with a little pressure and a gentle raising and/or tug on the backing. I can take out a an 8 inch strip of panto pattern on a baby quilt in a matter of minutes. I use a damp cloth to gently rub the quilt top to brush the threads loose and follow with sticky lint roller to clean up if I need it.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:46 AM
Power Poster

Ouch if you hired some one to do the quilting you do not expect work to be done by some one in training. Often when people start a business they do quilts for a small fee with the understanding that the LAQ is not completely trained. so as I understand it she took your quilts, left you to believe she would do the work and charged you as if she would do the work but then trained some one long arm quilting on your quilt? Did the other person pay her to be trained? Very strange situation.

Originally Posted by NatalieMacDonald
Same thing happened to me. I brought it to the LAQ's atten tion and she explained she was training a new LAQ. She took the quilt back and literally picked out the whole queen size quilt and re-quilted it. I looked for permanent needle holes but it was okay and I really appreciated her work.

This is her reputation and business. She cared and that meant a lot to me.

I thought about it and rehearsed in my mind what the issues were and stayed calm and behaved in a way that I was proud of myself though I was nervous. No guarantee but at least I could walk away handling it the best that I could.

I do wish you the best.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:50 AM
Power Poster

As for the original post, yes, ask for the money back and take it out yourself then hire some one else.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by fabric_fancy
absolutely money back.

it so sad to see all these posts lately of LA doing such terrible work and trying to pass it off as if nothing has happened.

it takes a lot more then just buying a LA to run a proper business with it.
I think you have just hit the nail on the head! So often folks just hang out their shingle without doing their homework with respect to actually owning and running a business!

We have a local LA'er who gave a presentation at our Guild. Someone commented that she wasn't very flexible in regards to how quilts come to her and what she will and won't do -and the associated costs. Some people were turned off. Me - I was thrilled that she was a buisnesswoman first and foremost. Made me happy to know that we were going to have mis-matched expectations of what was going to happen.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by MamaHen
I'm of the opinion that many longarm quilts are over quilting. I think it is fine for show quilts, most aren't going to be used, but quilts for use should not be quilted to this extreme. This can cause them to get out of wack because the quilting is not done evenly. The quilt it self and it's use should dictate how much quilting it needs. Of course this is my opinion.
By all means if your not happy tell your quilter, ask for refund.
I am so glad to see this topic finally come up. Most long armed quilts could stand up in the corner by themselves! Just because you can quilt so heavily doesn't mean you should. This seems to be a growing trend since the advent of so many long arm machines and renders the quilts too stiff to feel cozy.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:19 AM

First, take plenty of pictures. Second, let her know how unhappy you are and that the job is not satisfactory and you want a refund in full. If she is a reliable LA'er, she will give you satisfaction. If not, time for the 'big guns' to come out and take a different approach. I personnally would have difficulty letting her work on it again.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:20 AM

I never thought of it that way. It always comes back to money doesn't it. :shock:
Old 08-22-2011, 09:23 AM

I am a longarmer and I really dislike it when other longarmers do not take the care and time on quilts.
I treat all quilts like they are mine. I do the best work.
If the quilt has issues,I tell the quilter and then I try to make it perfect however some issues CAN NOT be quilted out.
On your friends problem...yes ask for the $$ back,rip out the stitches and find a LA that is going to give the quilt the quilting that it deserves...the best.

One poster made the comment on quilting being too dense. That depends on the quilt,how the quilter wants it quilted,is is going in a show,every day use,going on a wall and never ever used. Heirloom quilting and the list goes on.
Bottom line..it is up to the customer on how she wants it quilted. If a customer tells me to do what I want. I have to let it "TALK" to me before I even start quilting it. However I do know in advance if it will be a show quilt or an ever day quilt.